U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 05:16 AM

10 posts, read 1,916 times

Advertisements

You got the absolute pain part right. I tried to wake him up at 11 but he wouldn’t really wake up. I carried him to the toilet and helped him go and he did. Woke up at 2 to take him again and he threw a huge fit. Kicking and screaming when I tried to pick him up. He did wake up though but wouldn’t open his eyes. His pull up was already wet but not soaked. I ended up just changing him in his bed and letting him go back to sleep. Just checked on him and he’s wet again. Ahh this is a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 07:23 AM

131 posts, read 157,092 times
The joys of parenting. Try a couple nights of just one trip closer to 12:30 and see if he can stay dry until then and if that is enough to keep him from waking up in a soaked bed in the morning without him getting upset. There is no point in getting into a power struggle over this with him. Also discuss all of this with his doctor because it seems like he's producing a lot of urine at night for a 5 y.o.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:47 AM

121 posts, read 29,775 times
I guess I am confused as to why you would wake him up. With my three, I just put them to bed without diapers by age of 3 and had a rubber pad down under the sheets and if they wet the bed, I just washed the sheets and pad and it was no big deal. I don't think any of them wet the bed after the age of 5 or so. It was so much more important to me that they slept through the night.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:46 PM

783 posts, read 115,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicamom3 View Post
My 5 year old son still struggles with staying dry at night. Everything I’ve read and talking to our pediatrician says this is very common. I still put him in a diaper at night. The issue I have is my mom is so upset he is still in a diaper. She thinks he is just being lazy and that he should have to clean up his wet sheets and loose privileges as a punishment. She keeps nagging at me about it. Please tell me I’m not alone in this. Are there any other parents who’s kids still have trouble staying dry at night , what age did you stop diapering them and just let them wet there bedding?
Had two chronic pants/bed-wetters, with a third mild late-trainer/bed-wetter. Never made a fuss over it, and didn't muss and fuss with bed-pads or anything. Having raised my kids in old-fashioned cloth diapers with rubber pants, that's what my kids got. Two diapers and a pair of rubber pants. With my youngest two, both wore nighttime diapers well into their 4's.

Dear SIL's youngest was in kindergarten and still wearing diapers at night, and she, too, used cotton-fold diapers and safety pins.

More common than not, and because some parents want to have bragging rights, many stretch their stories as to how early their children trained.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:23 AM

48,760 posts, read 47,054,962 times
Quote:
You got the absolute pain part right. I tried to wake him up at 11 but he wouldn’t really wake up. I carried him to the toilet and helped him go and he did. Woke up at 2 to take him again and he threw a huge fit. Kicking and screaming when I tried to pick him up. He did wake up though but wouldn’t open his eyes. His pull up was already wet but not soaked. I ended up just changing him in his bed and letting him go back to sleep. Just checked on him and he’s wet again. Ahh this is a pain.
Stop "waking" him up in the middle of the night. The National Institutes of Health have even done studies about waking and "lifting," and they found its effectiveness to be very low.

It isn't a long-term solution, and all it does is make you tired.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:06 AM

131 posts, read 157,092 times
That study really pushes motivational charts and bed alarms. Bed wetting runs in my family though I've always been a light sleeper so it was a non-issue for me. I've never liked the idea of motivational charts because I think it adds just another level of frustration and have seen that first hand as both a kid and an adult. If a nocturnal trip keeps the bedding dry & doesn't bother the kid, I think it is a better way to go than a bed alarm for a 5 or 6 year old.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:14 AM

48,760 posts, read 47,054,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post

That study really pushes motivational charts and bed alarms.
No, the study I'm referring to found those to be ineffective also. It compared multiple methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post

If a nocturnal trip keeps the bedding dry & doesn't bother the kid, I think it is a better way to go than a bed alarm for a 5 or 6 year old.
This "waking" is definitely bothering the OP's kid, and it's just busywork for her. Neither method really does anything for a 5-year-old.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:11 AM

121 posts, read 29,775 times
Right, how would you feel if someone much bigger than you woke you up from a deep sleep in the middle of the night when you just want to sleep in bed and forced you to go to the bathroom.

It is going to disturb him the following day, to have his sleep disturbed like that, and it's a very negative and unnecessary interaction between parent and child. It doesn't teach them anything.

It's a physical function, and I'm not sure you can "train" someone out of a physical function when they are unconscious.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:40 PM

10 posts, read 1,916 times
He doesn’t even remember me waking or changing him during the night. But we are both tired and a bit cranky today I’m sure because neither got a great night sleep. Plus his pull up leaked again. I was able to get some diaper booster pads today. I’m going to try adding them to his pull up tonight and see if that helps. I’m not going to continue with the waking during the night thing.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:53 PM

56 posts, read 8,270 times
Quote:
My 5 year old son still struggles with staying dry at night. Everything I’ve read and talking to our pediatrician says this is very common. I still put him in a diaper at night. The issue I have is my mom is so upset he is still in a diaper. She thinks he is just being lazy and that he should have to clean up his wet sheets and loose privileges as a punishment. She keeps nagging at me about it. Please tell me I’m not alone in this. Are there any other parents who’s kids still have trouble staying dry at night , what age did you stop diapering them and just let them wet there bedding?
Children of the same age, develop differently however in a situation like this I think it is important for him and for you to have a healthy positive environment.

With my son before I decided to potty train him. Although I was anxious about the whole potty training idea at first. I read and researched ways and methods to do this with my boy. I knew to prepare him, I had to prepare myself.

And so we brought a potty, and them waterproof sheets for the bed (in case he wet his bed). I brought these items as at the time that is what I was advised by other mums how they got their children out of diapers. Yet there was no need or either.

A few weeks before I started the potty training. I started speaking with my son and familiarising him with his actions e.g. (he would strain when he would do a number 2, and so I would speak to him and say is that a poo? He eventually understood and picked up, and then he would tell me just before he was about to do a poo. Guess what? I took him straight to the toilet. He never used the potty. Same with number 1. He was 2 and a 1/2, but the point is, I communicated with him and it allowed him to understand that he now uses what the grown-ups use and no more diapers.

Are you anxious? Children can pick that up, especially if you feel some type of way with your mother's words. I would make sure he is confident and so are you, as you are the MOST important person in helping him make that huge transition (coming out of babyhood)

Talk him through it. And find ways that will work for you both. That type of pressure from your mother isn't going to help the situation (although she means well). But I can assure you, your child is not lazy, maybe frightened? Or scared to not disappoint? At such a young age, they are not able to express themselves, especially fears as he probably doesn't understand or know what he is going through.

So take him through small baby steps, and you will look back and smile how you overcame this milestone

Lots of love

Mya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting