U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 07:30 PM

7,615 posts, read 13,877,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Sheesh! I don't think that eating Cheetos is like a "gateway drug" that will lead to felony arrests in her future.

It was never very clear where the bag of Cheetos was located.
IMH0, there would be a huge difference between "Grandpa's Cheetos" being stored in his closet in his bedroom vs. on a shelf in the kitchen that was open and available to all family members or sitting on the living room coffee table. If the Cheetos were located in the kitchen or other communal area were they labeled with Grandpa's name? How did the little girl know that they were Grandpa's Cheetos and not Cheetos that were available for anyone to eat?
The OP said they brought 2 bags, one for her and one for grandpa. The daughter apparently ate an entire bag... So what would be left would be grandpa's unopened bag of chips. I would think an 8yo kid would make the connection that she's eating her grandpa's chips. Were you suggesting that info wasn't communicated to her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 09:44 PM

18,511 posts, read 19,325,786 times
Quote:
Sheesh! I don't think that eating Cheetos is like a "gateway drug" that will lead to felony arrests in her future.

It was never very clear where the bag of Cheetos was located.
IMH0, there would be a huge difference between "Grandpa's Cheetos" being stored in his closet in his bedroom vs. on a shelf in the kitchen that was open and available to all family members or sitting on the living room coffee table. If the Cheetos were located in the kitchen or other communal area were they labeled with Grandpa's name? How did the little girl know that they were Grandpa's Cheetos and not Cheetos that were available for anyone to eat?

Perhaps, my family is different, but unless there is a special reason (like it was a gift for your birthday or it is a dessert for the church bake sale), or special labels with your name (maybe for an expensive food that you bought and want to save for a special occasion - like a vintage bottle of wine), or kept in special private places (that are known as being private places- such as the night stand in your bedroom) in my family, even my extended family, all food is communal food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The OP said they brought 2 bags, one for her and one for grandpa. The daughter apparently ate an entire bag... So what would be left would be grandpa's unopened bag of chips. I would think an 8yo kid would make the connection that she's eating her grandpa's chips. Were you suggesting that info wasn't communicated to her?
Yes, I am suggesting that if food was sitting in a communal area (the kitchen cupboards or the living room) for a week a young child may think that it was OK to eat it or forget that a week earlier she had already eaten "her bag". IMHO, it would have been a completely different situation if Grandpa had "his bag" in his bedroom or it was clearly labeled with his name or in the special cupboard that held food for him and only him.

In my family, even my extended family, any one can eat food stored in communal areas such as kitchen cupboards or the refrigerator. The OP was never clear where the food was stored or how long it would have been set aside for one specific person. It appeared that after not eating it for a week Grandpa still felt that it was his food. What about after a month? Or six months?

Now, if the little girl had taken Grandpa's wallet or his glasses or his medicine or his liquor I could see everyone getting upset but she took some food, which she may not have even realized that she was not supposed to eat. Obviously, I have a different POV about this than some of you.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:05 PM

5,362 posts, read 4,704,585 times
Quote:
Yes, I am suggesting that if food was sitting in a communal area (the kitchen cupboards or the living room) for a week a young child may think that it was OK to eat it or forget that a week earlier she had already eaten "her bag". IMHO, it would have been a completely different situation if Grandpa had "his bag" in his bedroom or it was clearly labeled with his name or in the special cupboard that held food for him and only him.

In my family, even my extended family, any one can eat food stored in communal areas such as kitchen cupboards or the refrigerator. The OP was never clear where the food was stored or how long it would have been set aside for one specific person. It appeared that after not eating it for a week Grandpa still felt that it was his food. What about after a month? Or six months?

Now, if the little girl had taken Grandpa's wallet or his glasses or his medicine or his liquor I could see everyone getting upset but she took some food, which she may not have even realized that she was not supposed to eat. Obviously, I have a different POV about this than some of you.

She was asked about her grandfather's bag of Cheetos & lied to her parents & hid them in her room.

She was caught stealing her teacher's candy at school.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:18 AM

4,812 posts, read 1,988,886 times
A family sized bag, for an 8 year old??

Old 06-18-2020, 10:37 PM

257 posts, read 46,457 times
Maybe you're not feeding her enough. Buy a few extras bags of cheetos next time. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or