U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 07:15 AM

4,616 posts, read 2,138,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
We are currently living through the largest, most comprehensive, most all permeating psyop in world history. I understand your hesitance, and I don't have kids either.
It's not hesitance. I made a decision not to have kids back in my 20's; I'm 37 now. If I were to actually have a kid, it'd be at least a few years down the road, with the steps involved. And if the father is over 40, there's a high chance of the kid being on the autistic spectrum. That's not bad per se, but the quality of life of that child is usually not good, due to sensory issues to socialization difficulties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
But I still feel like our greatest natural resource is children, especially if they are raised by people who are aware of what's going on.
I chose to defer this duty to other people. You can be as aware/"woke" as you want, but when you're a kid living in a world like today's, it's unnatural and miserable. Just look at today's generation of kids, and what our government took away from them, and told them to "stay home and binge-watch Netflix" instead:
* Relaxing in a park with friends
* Going to birthday parties
* Playing sports together
* Attending their graduations
* Saying goodbye to a dying grandparent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 07:25 AM

1,032 posts, read 267,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Just look at today's generation of kids, and what our government took away from them, and told them to "stay home and binge-watch Netflix" instead:
* Relaxing in a park with friends
* Going to birthday parties
* Playing sports together
* Attending their graduations
* Saying goodbye to a dying grandparent
Hello non-parent.

Yeah missing those things for 2-3 months sucked. It's not forever like you suggest for the "generation."

But now they're becoming do-able again.

Resiliency in a tough time is working.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Hello non-parent.

Yeah missing those things for 2-3 months sucked. It's not forever like you suggest for the "generation."

But now they're becoming do-able again.

Resiliency in a tough time is working.
Hello, childhood amnesia.

You probably don't remember how time feels different to a child than to an adult, or how important friendships are in a child's life. They're not a "time-filler luxury" like they are for adults; they're essential to development. Also, for a kid, 2-3 months is like 2-3 years to an adult. And when you can't attend a grandparent's funeral, or partake in any once-in-a-lifetime milestone like a graduation, it really is forever. You never get those opportunities back.

On the other hand, I (and you) grew up in a time when America was actually free. For today's kids, government overreach will be as normal as using TikTok. And for all we know, we may have another mass lockdown soon. If not Covid-19 Part 2, then something else. Which is why I'm helping the OP feel better about not having his own kids.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 06-10-2020 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Hello, childhood amnesia.

You probably don't remember how time feels different to a child than to an adult. For a kid, 2-3 months is like 2-3 years to an adult. And when you can't attend a grandparent's funeral, or partake in any once-in-a-lifetime milestone like a graduation, it really is forever. You never get those opportunities back.

And for all we know, we may have another mass lockdown soon. If not Covid-19 Part 2, then something else.
Try again, non-parent. Your personal experience is not typical.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Try again, non-parent. Your personal experience is not typical.
Maybe, maybe not, childhood amnesia. But this is still not the world I want to bring a kid into. It's the humane thing to do.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not, childhood amnesia. But this is still not the world I want to bring a kid into. It's the humane thing to do.
Yes we believed you the first 20 times.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:25 AM

16,518 posts, read 10,660,016 times
The reason humans have kids is to procreate and create an extension of themselves. When you raise your kids, as a parent of 3. My duty is to ensure that my kids have an even better life than mine for my own self fulfillment. Anybody who disagrees is lying to themselves, one of the goals people have kids isn't to have kids. It is for their own selfish reasons to pass on their wealth and their soul since we all will die one day and kids are your extension. You can die with all your toys but it's better that my kids have my toys than somebody takes my toys from my grave.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The reason humans have kids is to procreate and create an extension of themselves. When you raise your kids, as a parent of 3. My duty is to ensure that my kids have an even better life than mine for my own self fulfillment. Anybody who disagrees is lying to themselves.
I love when one parent is smart enough to speak for all of humanity. Takes the pressure off.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:21 AM

8,541 posts, read 12,549,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Yes, but that's still not a good reason to do it. Is there anything about being a parent that they were seeking or was there just nothing else to do? Does that get through difficult times as parents?

I've seen more that people are approaching the end point time-wise, usually the woman and they have one because they're afraid of regretting not having one years later. My observation is, yes, there's an almost-animal love of the offspring but they truly dislike being a parent.

I've never heard anybody say they regret having kids.

As a matter of fact, it is the one thing in life that I've never heard someone say they have regrets about.

Let's be honest here. 90% of people have kids (or want to but couldnt). I'm not sure 90% of people have ever even had to support themselves. And the number is much higher in other countries. It's not something special, sacred, or something that takes a certain kind of person to do.

You either do it or you don't...

Last edited by jobaba; 06-10-2020 at 10:34 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 11:32 AM

5,082 posts, read 3,751,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I've never heard anybody say they regret having kids.
I have! Mostly quite quietly.

My mother actually told me that if she had it to do over again, she wouldn't have had children. She didn't mean it like that, but...ouch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or