U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2020, 02:13 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,292,607 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that it's actually legal to not have kids. In my own personal experience, seeing and hearing the things I did when I was growing up firmly convinced me that kids were NOT the way to go. Haven't regretted it once, and I'm almost 60.

One of society's tragedies is that you can't turn on the news without hearing about kids being murdered, molested, abused in various awful ways (both physical and emotional), neglected, and on and on. Too bad there's not some way to size up prospective parents before kids are on the scene.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 09:24 AM

10,437 posts, read 21,947,247 times
I'm 37 and for the first time I think I actually would want to be a parent but it's unlikely to happen or end up being a good decision if I did. I just finished paying off my student loans, for over a decade I had that $500+ a month weight around my neck. Then my own family is terrible to deal with, then 6 yrs ago I added the Inlaws From Hell to the mix. So I would have no one helping raise the kids but instead actively working to turn the kids against me. My marriage is also a dumpster fire, I only stayed because of money and fear that if I got sick no one would take care of me. Wife and I also have religious differences, she is fundamentalist Christian I am agnostic.

Beyond that if you can't have kids of your own options have never been more limited to adopting. Most international countries have closed the door to foreign adoptions and it's really expensive anyway. Domestic adoption pickings are also slim and foster kids rarely development an emotional attachment to the foster family, instead rejoining bio family after age 18. I did start sponsoring several developing nations children to do something good for kids.

Old Today, 06:47 AM

302 posts, read 170,616 times
You don't need marriage and kids to feel worthy. Me, a female used to feel like you. I'm married but no kids and learned to accept it. I was letting society make me feel worthless Many people are happily single and child-free. I also feel too many people just marry and have kids to reach the "milestone" and that's not good.

Quote:
You are still young enough to do it, and I agree that having kids is one of the best things that can happen to us in our lives. My life really began the day my sons were born.
Having kids isn't always the best thing. Bests things are matters of opinion. It is just now coming to a point where parents don't have to pretend to be happy all the time.

Last edited by roddma; Today at 06:58 AM..

Old Today, 05:24 PM

12,874 posts, read 5,282,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I am a male entering my mid 30s. I just can’t believe how I’m this old.
That is not old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or