U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 09:49 AM

658 posts, read 244,453 times

Advertisements

The alternative is a CA public high school that ranks in the 90 percentile.

No doubt, private high school will deliver a more rigorous curriculum. I am wondering if the difference justifies the spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 10:31 AM

419 posts, read 195,948 times
If the public school in your area already ranks 90 percentile, you may want to have your child go there and save the extra cash for college. I would rather live in the area that has great public school than have my kid going to the private school and pay a huge amount of money for that. I think good education starts at home.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:39 AM

18,511 posts, read 19,325,786 times
Well, we let our child decide. She attended the public school as a first semester freshman and then the private school second semester. We then gave her the choice of us spending her college money on her last three years of HS (which would mean very, very significant loans for her in college) or saving it for college. While she did prefer the private school she knew that in the long run it was better for her to attend the local public school and save the money for college. Now, if we had unlimited money we probably would have let her attend the private HS, but we didn't have unlimited money (BTW, it was much less than $42,000 a year).

Old 06-12-2020, 10:40 AM

11,167 posts, read 12,128,425 times
That's something you really need to decide for yourself along with input from your kids. It's going to take into account a lot of factors that we are not privy to in terms of local public school rankings and curriculum and extras, as well as financial impact to your family. . If already in public school, some kids won't want to leave their friends which is something to consider as well.

My parents let me choose. I went to private high school. I don't feel like it gave me any sort of advantage when I got into college.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 06-12-2020 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-12-2020, 11:23 AM

5,746 posts, read 2,531,352 times
I was allowed to decide as well. My district school was not good, but it had a magnet program. I wanted to go to the private school badly, but my mom had been wanting me to go to the magnet program since before it even opened in the school (I went in the 2nd year). She forced me to apply and do the shadowing day, but then told me it was up to me whether I decided to go or not. I ended up deciding to go the magnet school route after visiting the private school and the magnet program, even though all of my friends went to the private school. My sister was also given the choice and she and the other top performing kid in her class in 8th grade both decided on the magnet program.

My sister has a child now and had an option of moving or paying almost what the OP would pay for HS for private elementary(!!!). She lives in a super expensive area, and had really low rent on her place for a bad school district. Nonetheless, she decided to move because the mortgage price was set while rent and tuition can go up much more on a yearly basis than her property taxes will likely go up (her state has good laws for that). While the rent+ private might be cheaper now, it will probably be more later and buying a house isn’t likely to get cheaper

Old 06-12-2020, 11:47 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,035,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
The alternative is a CA public high school that ranks in the 90 percentile.

No doubt, private high school will deliver a more rigorous curriculum. I am wondering if the difference justifies the spending.
Can you afford the tuition for both? If not, save the $$ for college.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:13 PM

2,911 posts, read 997,418 times
I wouldn't go by rankings alone. There's a lot that doesn't go into rankings. Assess the schools based on the full offering. We have public schools that rank very well, but the private schools offer so much more. Unfortunately, the way schools are ranked, meeting the baseline results in a good score. Where in reality, meeting the baseline should result in a middle of the row score.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:58 PM

3,190 posts, read 2,960,616 times
My parents also gave a choice. I chose the public school because all of my friends from the neighborhood went there. Looking back, I wish I had chosen the private school.

If you can afford it, send them to private school. It is well worth the money.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:07 PM

48,754 posts, read 47,054,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post

No doubt, private high school will deliver a more rigorous curriculum.
Is that actually true? It's NOT a given. Have you compared the offerings side by side? Because a public school that is in the 90th percentile must be doing something right.

Private schools also can be more limited in their extracurricular and sports offerings.

The ONLY reasons I would pay that ridiculous amount for a high school education would be 1) if it was a religious school, and religious education were important to me, or 2) if my zoned public school wasn't safe.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:15 PM

3,994 posts, read 5,012,465 times
I went to a private school for one year. Learned NOTHING and it set me back once I entered back into public school the next year. Private school does not always = more rigorous curriculum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or