U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 12:06 PM

18,539 posts, read 19,366,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Oldest DD is really ticked off at grandson's school...she (rather WE, because I spent the lockdown at her house) made sure he did all of his on line assignments and his Social Studies, Writing, Reading, Art, and Music projects. He also takes Chinese and Spanish. He completed the math workbook sent home in TWO WEEKS (said it was too easy), and DD contacted his math teacher who complied with giving him more challenging work. He's 6, just completed first grade, but attends a private school for gifted students. His teacher (awesome) was extremely helpful, and adapted an advanced math course for him...grandson was doing fourth grade math at the end of the school year.

To DD's (and many of the other parents') disgust, their remote schooling WASN'T GRADED, so we have no way to measure his advancement in those last 3 months. Absolutely no report card (they call it a progress report) for the last quarter. FYI, at this school, students are placed in the subject grade for which level they are working, they aren't kept with the "herd". How are they going to assess what grades to place him in when (if) school resumes in the fall?
While the work was not graded, I am sure that there would be a record that your grandson was doing higher level math than his classmates and will be put in the appropriate level when school resumes. Also, I assume that there will be a lot more flexibility in moving children up or down a level, if they miscalculate their progress away from school.

I do not know if this is common or not, but none of the schools where my grandchildren, grandnieces and grandnephews attended (on line) did any report cards or grades (other than pass/fail at some schools) during the pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:33 AM

723 posts, read 645,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was informed by the school the my son was nominated and won the award for participation as well as several other kids. The email complimented my son being the few that has performed all required class assignments as well as excellent participation during online schooling.

My son does get good grades and have won the Principal student of the year awards twice in the past and other awards. So I expect nothing less from him with participation with class.

But, he mentions that more than 1/2 the classes that he attends students are just goofing off. Interrupting and not following the teacher's directions. And is very difficult learn with lots of distractions and sometimes the teacher ends certain classes early due to disruptions and kids dropping off the virtual classroom.

He is in 8th grade and we are in a pretty good school district.

The main reason for this post isn't just about my son, is more about how difficult online classroom is for teachers and parents too. My son described often lots of background noise and kids not participating and the teacher don't have the bandwidth to manage online classroom easily.

Fortunately for me, I rarely have to check on my son while class is in session.
It really makes no difference. People who have a certain level of natural intellect will acquire knowledge on their own. Most of what is taught in school is easily forgotten and not pertinent to a person’s future. A lot of the material is also biased and subjective. School is about test taking, not learning. People who don’t have a high enough level of intellect won’t benefit from the course work anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or