U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2020, 12:17 PM
 
Location: NYC
16,496 posts, read 10,640,549 times
Reputation: 19495

Advertisements

I was informed by the school the my son was nominated and won the award for participation as well as several other kids. The email complimented my son being the few that has performed all required class assignments as well as excellent participation during online schooling.

My son does get good grades and have won the Principal student of the year awards twice in the past and other awards. So I expect nothing less from him with participation with class.

But, he mentions that more than 1/2 the classes that he attends students are just goofing off. Interrupting and not following the teacher's directions. And is very difficult learn with lots of distractions and sometimes the teacher ends certain classes early due to disruptions and kids dropping off the virtual classroom.

He is in 8th grade and we are in a pretty good school district.

The main reason for this post isn't just about my son, is more about how difficult online classroom is for teachers and parents too. My son described often lots of background noise and kids not participating and the teacher don't have the bandwidth to manage online classroom easily.

Fortunately for me, I rarely have to check on my son while class is in session.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2020, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
48,905 posts, read 47,181,009 times
Reputation: 95818
Good for him

It's an issue of self-discipline, really, and it's encouraging that he is showing he has it.

I've noticed this trend in Zoom meetings for work, where people were very tuned in at first, and then once the novelty wore off (and they figured out how to turn off the video option), people paid less attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2020, 03:26 PM
 
1,018 posts, read 262,422 times
Reputation: 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

I've noticed this trend in Zoom meetings for work, where people were very tuned in at first, and then once the novelty wore off (and they figured out how to turn off the video option), people paid less attention.
That's been my experience as well. I am soooooooooooooo over Zoom anything. If that's the case for me, a moderately well adjusted adult, I can only imagine how much more it would be for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2020, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
18,539 posts, read 19,366,586 times
Reputation: 46564
A relative, who teaches in a specialty area, has 60 students (several different classrooms). She posted videos of her weekly lessons on a private YouTube channel. Since mid March only 13 students/parents have signed on to view her lessons and only 5 or 6 students have watched all of her lessons. Needless to say, she is pretty bummed out by the poor response. This is a significant difference to how active and interested these same students were during her live teaching (from September to mid-March).

BTW, I have watched a few of her lessons and they are pretty interesting. Her principal even sent some to other teachers to use as samples of how to give good on-line instruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2020, 07:05 PM
 
Location: NYC
16,496 posts, read 10,640,549 times
Reputation: 19495
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
A relative, who teaches in a specialty area, has 60 students (several different classrooms). She posted videos of her weekly lessons on a private YouTube channel. Since mid March only 13 students/parents have signed on to view her lessons and only 5 or 6 students have watched all of her lessons. Needless to say, she is pretty bummed out by the poor response. This is a significant difference to how active and interested these same students were during her live teaching (from September to mid-March).

BTW, I have watched a few of her lessons and they are pretty interesting. Her principal even sent some to other teachers to use as samples of how to give good on-line instruction.
Because being home, learning and participation becomes a chore while the kids can be doing some other stuff on their PC and the Zoom meeting is now a side show. If this thing drag on for 3-4 years we'll have a skillset gap for many young folks. They wasted 3-4 years goofing off and not learning and slow their development due to having too much distractions on their Home PCs than focusing on the school session.

When I give training sessions at work, often after 8mins there is this silence and I know I am talking to myself for the rest of the 1/2 or one hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 09:30 AM
 
3,669 posts, read 3,590,685 times
Reputation: 4185
Zoom fatigue

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...-so-exhausting


It can be exhausting to be on a video chat all day. It takes a lot of concentration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2020, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Central, NJ
2,506 posts, read 5,282,710 times
Reputation: 3634
What you describe is what my son's in-person classes are like. He has been thrilled to be home. Being disruptive didn't keep them from getting Perfect Attendance Awards, while getting straight As was never acknowledged. And this in a supposedly really good district in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2020, 02:03 PM
 
1,463 posts, read 428,945 times
Reputation: 3735
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Because being home, learning and participation becomes a chore while the kids can be doing some other stuff on their PC and the Zoom meeting is now a side show. If this thing drag on for 3-4 years we'll have a skillset gap for many young folks. They wasted 3-4 years goofing off and not learning and slow their development due to having too much distractions on their Home PCs than focusing on the school session.

When I give training sessions at work, often after 8mins there is this silence and I know I am talking to myself for the rest of the 1/2 or one hour.
Well, if it indeed were to go on that long I would hope more parents would step and do the right thing as far as making sure their children were properly educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2020, 06:03 PM
 
5,226 posts, read 4,525,995 times
Reputation: 15164
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was informed by the school the my son was nominated and won the award for participation as well as several other kids. The email complimented my son being the few that has performed all required class assignments as well as excellent participation during online schooling.

My son does get good grades and have won the Principal student of the year awards twice in the past and other awards. So I expect nothing less from him with participation with class.

But, he mentions that more than 1/2 the classes that he attends students are just goofing off. Interrupting and not following the teacher's directions. And is very difficult learn with lots of distractions and sometimes the teacher ends certain classes early due to disruptions and kids dropping off the virtual classroom.

He is in 8th grade and we are in a pretty good school district.

The main reason for this post isn't just about my son, is more about how difficult online classroom is for teachers and parents too. My son described often lots of background noise and kids not participating and the teacher don't have the bandwidth to manage online classroom easily.

Fortunately for me, I rarely have to check on my son while class is in session.
In terms of the other kids, it gets better once he gets to high school. Usually, the bright, motivated kids self-select into all honors/AP classes, and the yahoos wind up in the regular track. Of course, if you have a wonderful teacher, they can keep all the kids engaged and in-line, but in high school, the honors and AP classes wind up being more like a college class, in that everyone there wants to learn, wants to be there. Now let's just hope for in-person school in September!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2020, 01:42 AM
 
6,801 posts, read 5,844,540 times
Reputation: 9548
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Because being home, learning and participation becomes a chore while the kids can be doing some other stuff on their PC and the Zoom meeting is now a side show. If this thing drag on for 3-4 years we'll have a skillset gap for many young folks. They wasted 3-4 years goofing off and not learning and slow their development due to having too much distractions on their Home PCs than focusing on the school session.

When I give training sessions at work, often after 8mins there is this silence and I know I am talking to myself for the rest of the 1/2 or one hour.
Oldest DD is really ticked off at grandson's school...she (rather WE, because I spent the lockdown at her house) made sure he did all of his on line assignments and his Social Studies, Writing, Reading, Art, and Music projects. He also takes Chinese and Spanish. He completed the math workbook sent home in TWO WEEKS (said it was too easy), and DD contacted his math teacher who complied with giving him more challenging work. He's 6, just completed first grade, but attends a private school for gifted students. His teacher (awesome) was extremely helpful, and adapted an advanced math course for him...grandson was doing fourth grade math at the end of the school year.

To DD's (and many of the other parents') disgust, their remote schooling WASN'T GRADED, so we have no way to measure his advancement in those last 3 months. Absolutely no report card (they call it a progress report) for the last quarter. FYI, at this school, students are placed in the subject grade for which level they are working, they aren't kept with the "herd". How are they going to assess what grades to place him in when (if) school resumes in the fall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top