U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 06:27 PM

14 posts, read 33,254 times

Advertisements

So I am looking for a door alarm, possibly one with a security system, in order to let my husband know if our son is trying to sneak out of the house. Our son is delayed and has trouble understanding why he needs to not do certain things without mom or dad. We need something that we can set to have some sort of loud nuclear sound that will definitely wake up his father at 5:30 AM from the third floor. The other part that we will need is the ability to be able to temporarily turn it off so that I can leave at 4 AM and for his father to return at 11:30 PM. We work opposite shifts, but no matter what time we put out son to bed he somehow gets up really early. Simply putting a chain on the door is not an option because he will just grab a step stool and unhinge it.

P.S.

We greatly appreciate any help! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 11:41 AM

16,608 posts, read 19,040,057 times
You may want to ask in the autism forum on Babycenter. There are many parents there who have children who need this.

https://community.babycenter.com/gro...ctrum_disorder

Old 06-16-2020, 04:02 PM

18,520 posts, read 19,335,740 times
There are also sites that sell quite a wide variety of alarm products for adults with dementia or Alzheimer's. There are door alarms for bedroom doors as well as window alarms, rug alarms, bed alarms, etc.

Good luck.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:38 PM

11,394 posts, read 22,207,677 times
We had to put a double-keyed deadbolt on my parents' front door when my dad started wandering from dementia. That would be the easiest solution because you would be able to lock it when you leave for work, without it having to be something that could only be done from inside.

Old Today, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You may want to ask in the autism forum on Babycenter. There are many parents there who have children who need this.

https://community.babycenter.com/gro...ctrum_disorder
Thank you. I forgot about autism sites.

Old Today, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
There are also sites that sell quite a wide variety of alarm products for adults with dementia or Alzheimer's. There are door alarms for bedroom doors as well as window alarms, rug alarms, bed alarms, etc.

Good luck.
I was looking for door and window alarms mostly. I will start looking into products for Alzheimer's as well now. Thank you.

Old Today, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
We had to put a double-keyed deadbolt on my parents' front door when my dad started wandering from dementia. That would be the easiest solution because you would be able to lock it when you leave for work, without it having to be something that could only be done from inside.
I had to look this up since I wasn't sure of what it was. Thank you for the suggestion but I don't think that we are allowed to do this. We rent an apartment and would not be able to install this. We do have a deadbolt on our door but he can just unlock it from the inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or