U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 09:47 PM

1,910 posts, read 708,760 times

Advertisements

If she is skinny it could be a red flag for anorexia nervosa coupled with bulimia when the eating goes above acceptable levels.
She is very young to be afflicted like this so I hope I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 02:16 AM

1,519 posts, read 487,218 times
Has she got any other "obsessive / compulsive" personality traits, or is her overeating the only one?

Yeah, time for a Doctor visit. The problem is, what kind of Dr.? I'd probably start with her Pediatrician, and let them suggest someone else as necessary.

When I read this I said, "Man, this is me!" Except that I don't eat until I throw up, I'm in my 60's and am within ten or twenty pounds of my "healthy weight", but really have to work at it, I was fifty pounds overweight for years. I skip eating entirely three days a week so I can eat what I want the other four - if I try to eat a "normal" 2300 cal/day diet, I am just hungry as heck all the time, my body wants at least 3000 calories per day. On my "cheat" day (currently Sunday), I've been known to eat an entire pizza 4500 calories), plus a dessert later on, I've got a really big "gas tank", sometimes I think I could give Joey Chestnut a run for his money. The suggestion above that the signal that goes from her stomach to her brain that should be saying "Hey, you're full, quit eating" and may be faulty, is a good one - I'm pretty sure that's my problem as well. Anhoo, a kid's health is too big to play around with, a trip to the Doc is in order.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:47 AM

2,462 posts, read 766,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Please talk to her pediatrician.

It could be a behavioral issue, such as people "pushing food on her". Does Grandma say things like "Have more spaghetti. I know it is your favorite and I made it just for you" or "Please have more birthday cake. It is a special occasion". Some families use guilt to encourage overeating. Or even people serving her too much food and then insisting that she clean her plate. Perhaps, multiple issues.

Or, it could be related to stress or anxiety, especially if it only happens in specific situations (at a buffet restaurant and at Grandma's house) and not in other places. Heck, it could even be some type of food allergy or food sensitivity. Perhaps, the restaurants and Grandma use more spices or MSG that she doesn't usually have at home or at school.

Or maybe the food tastes much better than at home so she wants to eat lots of the great tasting food (because she knows that tomorrow it will be the same old, bland, boring food).

I know many parents & grandparents who will say things like "It is only two bites so you need to finish it" when the child says that they are full. If this happens again and again a child may not really understand when they are full and overeat.

What do you tell her when she says that she is full and starting to feel nauseous? Do you say "OK, just stop eating" or say things like "We paid $10.00 for your meal. Are you sure that you are full?" or "Grandma spent all morning cooking. Are you sure that you are full?"
Good point. Or, if she is "very skinny," are people commenting on this-- "Oh you should eat more, you're so skinny" {implied: 'there must be something wrong with you'} or "you're done eating already/don't want dessert? You're not on a diet, are you?" {said in a suspicious tone of voice}. (Yes, skinny-shaming happens too.)

Or I wonder, if she is in a place with a lot of food available, if she feels for some reason like she needs to eat it all-- trying to avoid waste or something?

Old 06-17-2020, 06:59 AM
Status: "I'm not voting for the old white guy." (set 11 days ago)

16,342 posts, read 9,727,983 times
I disagree. It sounds like bulimia to me, not diabetes. Consider what happens if you overeat. You feel nauseous first. Then if you really overdo it, you might throw up. Bulimia can manifest itself very early in life and if the person throws up quickly, they avoid weight gain. 9 years old is not unheard of. No matter what it is, she needs immediate treatment. BTW, I have had advanced psychological training in eating disorders and know a lot about them. I can't make any diagnoses without seeing anyone first of course, but I just wanted to inform you that it is possible and should be investigated.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:33 AM

12,005 posts, read 15,620,538 times
When my daughter was roughly the same age she suddenly started overeating to the point that she went up several clothing sizes in less than six months. It turned into a lifelong struggle for her. When she was old enough and confident enough to talk about it we discovered that it was the result of attempting to 'grow fast' because she was tired of being short, skinny, too little, or whatever negative comments her classmates threw at her.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:49 AM

7,070 posts, read 5,695,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annagb View Post
Hi there,

My daughter is 9 years old and tends to really overeat, even when she becomes nauseous. That happens mostly when we go to a self-service restaurant or when we go to my mother who always has a lot of food. She feels that she is full and becomes nauseous, nevertheless she can keep on eating and then it can happen that she throws up in the night. She does not keep that a secret to us, by the way, she'll call us.

We never have a lot of sweets or unhealthy things in the house, she isn't at all fat, very skinny. She can easily eat a whole packet of crackers but in general she eats pretty normal.

Are all kids so focused on food and stuffing themselves if they have that chance or is that not such a normal case?
Why do you allow her to keep eating once she says she's full? I must be missing something here because 9 years old is plenty old enough to stop when you tell her that she's had enough. Just tell her she's done and put the food away. At a buffet tell her she can go through the line only 2 times. Why would you let her eat until she vomits? Frequent vomiting can cause a lot of problems health-wise (esophageal erosions, tooth decay, etc) and it may be setting her up for bulimia in adolescence.

Now if she is crying with hunger pains shortly after finishing an appropriate meal for her size, then something is wrong medically. And if she can't control her eating when you've told her she's had enough, then something psychological might be going on, but finding out what this is really starts with parents setting some boundaries, and then see what happens.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:04 PM

4,878 posts, read 2,213,144 times
Have you asked her why she keeps eating?

Old 06-17-2020, 12:33 PM

18,514 posts, read 19,325,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Have you asked her why she keeps eating?
Great question.

To me, it is also very interesting that it happens only/mostly in two specific places (at buffet restaurants and at one of the grandparents houses).

Old 06-17-2020, 12:39 PM

16,069 posts, read 20,788,749 times
Well, the buffet restaurant problem is never gonna happen again.

But I'm thinking worms or overactive thyroid. Over the decades of my life, I've had both, and some of what you describe fits both illnesses.

Pediatrician time. Only don't tell her that worms may be the cause. It's freak her out.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:48 PM

178 posts, read 54,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
a teenager who was always hungry.
Teenager is slightly different from a 9 year old. I'd eat anything that didn't move when I was a teenager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or