U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 07:21 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,052,149 times

Advertisements

My son has sensory issues and one of his things when he was younger was stuffing his face as full as it could be. His therapist said he needed to feel the food all the way in his cheeks to feel like he was eating it. He also liked extremely spicy food and apparently that’s the same issue. He eventually outgrew it for the most part, although he occasionally stuffs his last slider in there before dad gets it. So it could be a sensory thing, either the eating or the throwing up, or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 07:33 PM

1,516 posts, read 487,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
My son has sensory issues and one of his things when he was younger was stuffing his face as full as it could be. His therapist said he needed to feel the food all the way in his cheeks to feel like he was eating it. He also liked extremely spicy food and apparently that’s the same issue. He eventually outgrew it for the most part, although he occasionally stuffs his last slider in there before dad gets it. So it could be a sensory thing, either the eating or the throwing up, or both.
I've got a couple of pit bulls who would rather have their stomachs explode than allow their rival pack-mate get a White Castle before them, LOL. The funny thing is, they won't fight over food, although I'm careful to watch them, it's almost like they are "afraid" of each other, and will lick out the same ice-cream bowl without growling. But throw a bone on the floor and it's like two locomotives crashing into each other to see who gets it. I hope your husband occasionally gets the last slider going forward, and hope the OP figures out how to help her daughter. I was always thin growing up and over-ate on purpose in my late teens to put on some pounds while weightlifting. But that party ended when I hit my thirties (and it got much harder with each decade thereafter), having to check my intake lest I go all Oliver Hardy.

One question I have for the OP, does your daughter "like" throwing up after eating too much, or does she "make" herself throw up after overeating? If she does not, then it would seem like she could be taught "cause and effect" to eat more slowly, giving her brain's "I'm full" signal time to catch up - I'm thinking smaller portions more often vs. gorging oneself. As another poster said, frequent regurgitation is not good for one's body, and if she learns that this is a "negative", could learn to stop doing it.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:55 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,510,024 times
This is NOT normal. Because she is thin, it's not Prader-Willi. Because it only happens in certain places, I doubt that it is due to any illness. But it does sound like something that could be a precursor to an eating disorder.

If I were you, I'd stop going to all you can eat buffets. I'd tell Grandma about what is happening (but also warn her not to say a WORD about it to the girl, or to anyone else, or else you will never share information with her again) so that at Grandma's, a simple meal is served in only normal amounts, and then the table is cleared, and you can sit and talk over herbal tea, instead of over a groaning board.

Do not admonish the girl not to eat huge amounts, if you wind up in a vulnerable situation at someone's home. Just invite her to leave the table with you (Did you know that they have a .... here? Let's go see it!) and get her away from the food without it being an issue. When she is a little bit older, she'll figure out that eating huge amounts of such and such makes her sick, and she'll self-regulate.

I would also schedule her for her annual visit with the pediatrician asap. You want to know that she is growing and gaining weight appropriately. Mention it, let pedi know it only happens in settings where huge amounts of food are encouraged, and see if pedi thinks any workup is warranted. Be ready for pedi to ask you to come back for a separate, follow-up visit to discuss with enough time.

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

63,010 posts, read 59,808,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
Teenager is slightly different from a 9 year old. I'd eat anything that didn't move when I was a teenager.
And I could barely eat anything when I was a teenager! I was constantly lightheaded from not eating, and my bones stuck out.

At any rate, the age is irrelevant. The teenager had Prader-Willi, and she was born with it. She just happened to be a teenager when the show covered her story. If she was nine, the story would have been the same.

Doesn't sound as if that's it in this case anyway, as the person who responded pointed out.

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

14,166 posts, read 14,829,546 times
Look, I’ve been a big eater all my life, but never caused myself to throw up from eating too much. Not once.

She needs a full work up from her pediatrician and may also benefit from some lessons on eating mindfully. I know I would have. I’m just learning how to do it in my 40s.

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

1,516 posts, read 487,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Look, I’ve been a big eater all my life, but never caused myself to throw up from eating too much. Not once.

She needs a full work up from her pediatrician and may also benefit from some lessons on eating mindfully. I know I would have. I’m just learning how to do it in my 40s.
I wish I could learn to eat "mindfully" in my 60's, LOL. My friend's Dad jokingly commented once, "I have to go see a doctor, I think there's something wrong with me - every time I eat a big meal, I lose my appetite".

I didn't see the irony in it at the time, but this is the opposite of my own eating "disorder" - on the days that I do eat, I simply don't get "full", it seems like the more I eat, the more I think about food and the more cravings I get. I can sit and eat five cups of Cheerios (like most people will eat popcorn or chips, Cheerios have less calories and better nutritional value, so I consciously use them as a substitute), and even they don't begin to fill my hollow leg. I have to eat a LOT of food (like, almost a jumbo pizza, the dogs help me with the last few pieces), in order to get really "satisfied", where I don't want to eat anymore. But a couple of hours later, I'm looking for a cannoli or slice of tiramisu.

No wonder they included "gluttony" on the list of the seven deadly sins. Sorry for deviating from the subject, the OP's kid. I agree that a Dr. needs to weigh in, it really isn't something that can be solved in a forum.

Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

8,895 posts, read 4,767,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
In the name of the father, the son and the holy ghost,

Whoever eats the fastest,

Gets the most.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

6,644 posts, read 2,786,785 times
How is she able to do this under your care?

Old Today, 02:26 AM

5,409 posts, read 1,986,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You beat me to it. I completely agree. This sounds like Type 1 diabetes to me, especially since she's so thin.
Could also be type 2 excessive social media.
But thats why we have doctors.

Old Today, 03:23 AM

19,784 posts, read 24,949,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Have you asked her why she keeps eating?
The best question yet. Although, she may be embarrassed to tell you. You need 2 professionals. An MD for a thorough physical examination.

Then she needs a mental health professional familiar with pre-pubescent and pubescent children.

Is she intellectually average or above? In a normal class? If so, R/O Pader-Willi.

You would already know by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or