U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2020, 09:50 AM
 
1 posts, read 420 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi there,

My daughter is 9 years old and tends to really overeat, even when she becomes nauseous. That happens mostly when we go to a self-service restaurant or when we go to my mother who always has a lot of food. She feels that she is full and becomes nauseous, nevertheless she can keep on eating and then it can happen that she throws up in the night. She does not keep that a secret to us, by the way, she'll call us.

We never have a lot of sweets or unhealthy things in the house, she isn't at all fat, very skinny. She can easily eat a whole packet of crackers but in general she eats pretty normal.

Are all kids so focused on food and stuffing themselves if they have that chance or is that not such a normal case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2020, 10:03 AM
 
3,116 posts, read 2,461,857 times
Reputation: 3114
I would check with a doctor and make sure she is fine. Sometime there may simply be some kind of disorder that you don’t know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Status: "Daring to hope" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
63,010 posts, read 59,808,037 times
Reputation: 75947
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I would check with a doctor and make sure she is fine. Sometime there may simply be some kind of disorder that you don’t know about.
I agree with this. What popped into my head was a show I saw once about a teenager who was always hungry. No matter how much she ate, the feeling of hunger never went away. It was a physical disorder wherein the "I am full" message never kicked in to the brain. They had to lock up food between meals.

However, the OP says that her daughter IS full. I wonder if it could be a hormonal or thyroid issue. Is it something she's always done, or is this new? Questions the doctor will ask.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2020, 10:08 AM
Status: "Daring to hope" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
63,010 posts, read 59,808,037 times
Reputation: 75947
Quote:
Originally Posted by annagb View Post
Hi there,

My daughter is 9 years old and tends to really overeat, even when she becomes nauseous. That happens mostly when we go to a self-service restaurant or when we go to my mother who always has a lot of food. She feels that she is full and becomes nauseous, nevertheless she can keep on eating and then it can happen that she throws up in the night. She does not keep that a secret to us, by the way, she'll call us.

We never have a lot of sweets or unhealthy things in the house, she isn't at all fat, very skinny. She can easily eat a whole packet of crackers but in general she eats pretty normal.

Are all kids so focused on food and stuffing themselves if they have that chance or is that not such a normal case?
Of course not. But it's curious that you even asked such a question, which makes me wonder--were YOU that way as a child? Perhaps this is something genetic.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2020, 10:35 AM
 
9,682 posts, read 3,643,358 times
Reputation: 22223
Some of the symptoms you're describing sound kind of like diabetes, type I. Definitely should see a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2020, 10:53 AM
 
5,748 posts, read 2,531,352 times
Reputation: 11165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree with this. What popped into my head was a show I saw once about a teenager who was always hungry. No matter how much she ate, the feeling of hunger never went away. It was a physical disorder wherein the "I am full" message never kicked in to the brain. They had to lock up food between meals.

However, the OP says that her daughter IS full. I wonder if it could be a hormonal or thyroid issue. Is it something she's always done, or is this new? Questions the doctor will ask.
That is Prader-Willi syndrome and it is very dangerous if not treated because people with PWS will eat and eat. Usually there are symptoms even at birth like low muscle tone, and babies with PWS are often underweight because they can’t suck a breast/bottle as well as other children.

However, if she feels like she is full, it is probably not this. I have heard PWS being explained like imagining you are permanently stuck eating an 800 calorie diet all the time, as it causes people to be ravenously hungry at all times, even when a normal person would be full. People who are successful with PWS usually have to weigh their food and keep to a strict diet/exercise plan. Children usually need food locked up. Something like diabetes is probably more likely though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2020, 01:09 PM
Status: "Daring to hope" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
63,010 posts, read 59,808,037 times
Reputation: 75947
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That is Prader-Willi syndrome and it is very dangerous if not treated because people with PWS will eat and eat. Usually there are symptoms even at birth like low muscle tone, and babies with PWS are often underweight because they can’t suck a breast/bottle as well as other children.

However, if she feels like she is full, it is probably not this. I have heard PWS being explained like imagining you are permanently stuck eating an 800 calorie diet all the time, as it causes people to be ravenously hungry at all times, even when a normal person would be full. People who are successful with PWS usually have to weigh their food and keep to a strict diet/exercise plan. Children usually need food locked up. Something like diabetes is probably more likely though.
That must be torture. I am cranky as hell when I am hungry.

I didn't even think of diabetes, but you might be right.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2020, 01:43 PM
 
14,848 posts, read 6,097,412 times
Reputation: 34223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Some of the symptoms you're describing sound kind of like diabetes, type I. Definitely should see a doctor.
You beat me to it. I completely agree. This sounds like Type 1 diabetes to me, especially since she's so thin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2020, 01:50 PM
 
1,407 posts, read 448,789 times
Reputation: 3885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Some of the symptoms you're describing sound kind of like diabetes, type I. Definitely should see a doctor.
That's what I was thinking as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2020, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
18,512 posts, read 19,325,786 times
Reputation: 46478
Please talk to her pediatrician.

It could be a behavioral issue, such as people "pushing food on her". Does Grandma say things like "Have more spaghetti. I know it is your favorite and I made it just for you" or "Please have more birthday cake. It is a special occasion". Some families use guilt to encourage overeating. Or even people serving her too much food and then insisting that she clean her plate. Perhaps, multiple issues.

Or, it could be related to stress or anxiety, especially if it only happens in specific situations (at a buffet restaurant and at Grandma's house) and not in other places. Heck, it could even be some type of food allergy or food sensitivity. Perhaps, the restaurants and Grandma use more spices or MSG that she doesn't usually have at home or at school.

Or maybe the food tastes much better than at home so she wants to eat lots of the great tasting food (because she knows that tomorrow it will be the same old, bland, boring food).

I know many parents & grandparents who will say things like "It is only two bites so you need to finish it" when the child says that they are full. If this happens again and again a child may not really understand when they are full and overeat.

What do you tell her when she says that she is full and starting to feel nauseous? Do you say "OK, just stop eating" or say things like "We paid $10.00 for your meal. Are you sure that you are full?" or "Grandma spent all morning cooking. Are you sure that you are full?"

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-16-2020 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top