U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 07:42 AM

11,239 posts, read 12,174,558 times

Advertisements

Yup, it's common

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I don't have a problem with them peeing in their own yard which my nephew does often.
That is probably the root cause of the issue. There is a place where they are allowed to go, and probably see another young child do the same thing. a 3 year old can' differentiate between where it's ok to do this, and where it is not.

Around age 3, my boys learned to pee in a back corner of the yard (in privacy out of view) when out playing. It was great when they were all muddy and dirty or jumping in and out of the pool and i didn't want them to go in the house. However, they tended to drop their pants in other locations where it was not acceptable. Took a few years to finally teach them when and where this was appropriate to do. You can tell them to use the toilet at age 3 til your blue in the face, but 5 mins later they will still go pee in the driveway. We were recently camping in the woods (with nobody around), and they actually asked me if it was ok to do and knew to go out of sight. They are 7 now, and they probably started to "get it" around age 5.

I have a 3 year old as well. I'm sure i'll be going through this again once he sees he two older brothers do it.

Now, teaching them to lift the toilet seat and aim for the middle is a battle i'll be fighting for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 08:58 AM

16,962 posts, read 10,126,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicamom3 View Post
Very common here. Heck it’s fairly common here for a little boy on the t-ball team to pee out on the field during the middle of the game. Those are 4-5 year olds. Sure they usually turn around and face the fence but have there pants and undies down to there ankles mooning everyone. Lol Honestly I don’t really see an issue with it.
Interesting - it's so easy for boys yet they go to the trouble of pulling everything totally down? When do they learn they don't have to do THAT? It makes it almost as hard as what girls have to do...yet oddly they don't usually have this problem with doing it in public.

I'm guessing is that it's a whole lot cuter for boys and they get a lot of reinforcement for it - smilingly being told not to doesn't work.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:29 AM

2,591 posts, read 1,213,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Now, teaching them to lift the toilet seat and aim for the middle is a battle i'll be fighting for years.

Nothing wrong with a guy sitting down and peeing. And you don't have to clean the floor quite as often.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:53 AM

11,239 posts, read 12,174,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Interesting - it's so easy for boys yet they go to the trouble of pulling everything totally down? When do they learn they don't have to do THAT? It makes it almost as hard as what girls have to do...yet oddly they don't usually have this problem with doing it in public
Usually it's when they learn how to control it so they don't pee all over their pants if they try and do the "discreet" method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Nothing wrong with a guy sitting down and peeing. And you don't have to clean the floor quite as often.
100% agreed. For some reason my 7 year old boys seem to not grasp that concept

Old 06-25-2020, 12:36 PM

19,149 posts, read 22,889,154 times
I've walked around Tijuana, many times, and have seen little boys stand at any curb, people around or not, and pee off the curb. Understandable as it costs 30-50 pesos to use a public restroom.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:44 PM

7,506 posts, read 4,278,239 times
I know places in Mexico where males pee on walls. In the heat it gets to the point you can't even walk on the sidewalk by some of those walls without gagging. Fortunately poor sanitary habits are declining with the younger, better educated public.

I remember when my three-year old was doing this. I thought I had made some progress until I took him to a public park and there, a few feet from us were a couple of adult males whizzing on a tree. They were steps from the restroom. I could have swatted them with a newspaper. Bad Dawgs!

The good news is he grew up and as far as I know got over it. There are times and places - in the woods, hiking, and I
know only too well, even along a freeway when you're on a motorcycle trip. Dang that! Wasn't very ladylike.

But a lot of places will ticket you for indecent exposure these days. I don't see that as the issue. To me it's more of a sanitary and courtesy issue.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:21 PM

56,353 posts, read 44,730,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Make them clean the bathroom.

You will not be fighting that battle for long.

They will self-police each other because especially if you just have two they will KNOW when the other one did the dirty if they share a bathroom.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:20 PM

8,978 posts, read 4,793,956 times
Everybody has a different message, someone even linked it to masturbation, sheesh! The reason a three year old should not be urinating in public is the same reason a thirty year old should not - it is unsanitary, just like defecating in public is unsanitary. That's the only message the OP needs to give to the kid. In the civilized world we use the proper facilities for such things.

And tell him to wash his hands when he's done.

Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

19,827 posts, read 7,785,713 times
When I was about that age I remember taking a wiz next to a crowded pond/lake beach in Larchmont, New York. I confused it with what my father had done, which was to hide in an inconspicuous place to do that.

My parents were not amused.

Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM

9,715 posts, read 3,662,371 times
I had little boys.

When camping, I can totally understand peeing 'outside', especially if a regular toilet isn't in close proximity.

Otherwise, the goal was always the toilet, and especially my oldest, was diligent about asking to use the toilet when he had to go. I'll be honest though, there were times we instructed him to go find a tree close by, and do his thing.

My youngest was...a different matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting