U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

16,610 posts, read 19,052,392 times

Advertisements

Funny story. My husband's college roommate had a girl. When she was 3 and they were camping, she had to go and found a bush her size to go on and squatted over it. It was cute and funny at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

10,770 posts, read 4,884,913 times
Shame? Shaming someone isn't a great way to teach them anything.

Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM

8,210 posts, read 9,903,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Please do not try so hard to teach the kid shame. It's not all that good a thing to drum into his head and can cause future problems.

You can take him aside and gently explain that the social convention is to do that in private. Dont try to teach him that it is bad or wrong and thus he is bad or wrong.

The same applies to masterbating, although you did task about that.
But it is wrong. In case you're unaware it is actually illegal and in some states you may be required to register as a sex offender. I know he's 3 and there is plenty of time to learn that this isn't appropriate behavior but this isn't shaming. That word gets used way too damn much. He does need to be taught that it is inappropriate and he will very likely outgrow this.

And why exactly are you making the leap to masturbating?

Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM

48,881 posts, read 47,154,480 times
Yeah, and I don’t think the OP was really talking about shaming the kid but merely using a common phrase.

Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM

5,857 posts, read 8,686,353 times
I don’t think it’s the OP’s place to say anything. She’s not the child’s mother. If she has issue with it bring it up with her sibling (the child’s parent) and let them address it. If that’s too much for them to do then they’re definitely not the right person to have this discussion/lesson with the child.

Old Today, 01:23 AM

6,801 posts, read 5,841,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Nothing wrong with a guy sitting down and peeing. And you don't have to clean the floor quite as often.
This. My oldest grandson at 6 1/2 still insists on sitting down on the toilet to pee. When he was small, I actually encouraged him to pee outside (when we were berry picking in the woods or otherwise far from the house and he had to go), and he always refused. Their property is pretty isolated, though. That was one of the criteria when his parents bought the house...son in law said he wanted to be able to pee off the back deck with no neighbors to see.

Old Today, 02:04 AM

51 posts, read 5,074 times
Hey, he is not peeing his pants! That gotta count for something. Maybe he likes whipping it out and is some sort of exhibitionist? More likely he is just 3 yrs old and it will make an interesting story to embarrass him with much later on. If he starts killing cats with a screwdriver, then I would be concerned.

Old Today, 06:21 AM

187 posts, read 57,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Yes, lots of little boys are like that. I remember my son and a few of my nephews doing the same in the yard, even with others around. They don't differentiate at that age what is acceptable/not acceptable.

I was mortified one day at an ocean beach many years ago. My son, about 3 at the time, decided it was fine to walk to the edge of the water and pee. Before I realized what he was doing he had his trunks down half-way and was going.
You're supposed to walk into the water and... pretend you're swimming.

Old Today, 08:10 AM

10,133 posts, read 15,745,776 times
Sounds like a Maine kid. When it's raining, they do it off the porch - until they are 80 years old.

Old Today, 08:16 AM

2,895 posts, read 2,317,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
They can be. Kids don't know social norms until their parents teach them. A three year old isn't too young to start learning them. Lucky for your nephew he has you, since his parents don't seem to care about his social skills.
My sister works at a school and told me a story about a boy in kindergarten got caught peeing on the playground once. I guess that what happens when parents don't teach their kids how to act in society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
This is why ^^.

YOU know the difference between "in the yard" and "in public," but the 3-yr-old does not.

Stop letting him whiz wherever he wants, and tell him that it's for the potty only.
If his parents are there, I don't because it's not my responsibility to "parent" him while they are around. However, if I'm babysitting, then yes, I tell him to use the potty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I don’t think it’s the OP’s place to say anything. She’s not the child’s mother. If she has issue with it bring it up with her sibling (the child’s parent) and let them address it. If that’s too much for them to do then they’re definitely not the right person to have this discussion/lesson with the child.
If the parents are around then yeah it's not my place to say anything. However, If I'm babysitting my nephew then yes, it's my right to tell him what appropriate or not. I'm not going to let him run wild. 2 different scenarios. I don't think anyone would want to babysit your kids if they didn't listen and do what they were told. Kids need to learn to listen to authority or they'll be the ones likely to end up in jail or prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting