U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 09:05 PM

6,390 posts, read 5,893,077 times

Advertisements

It's probably more common than you realize. We know two families that are still in lockdown mode.. it's funny because they are both families that before did all sorts of wild and fun travel adventures but are now holed in and now we're the brave mavericks taking on the Covid world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 10:41 PM

8,302 posts, read 4,667,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
What the what the what???
Keeping the kids indoors for 4 months is very different from not letting them play up close & personal w/kids not in the family. The former is pretty extreme & not recommended by even the totally closed states (they recommend trips to a park, walking outdoors, etc., but distancing from other people). I wouldn't let kids play w/other kids up close & personal right now. Unless you live in a state that has few virus cases & the state doesn't have a social distance/face mask or closed plan in effect right now. I live in one that still requests social distancing, so playing with others up close & personal is not following the govt's program to get control of the virus spread and is not safe.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:50 PM

8,302 posts, read 4,667,934 times
Do you mean you think it's abuse to keep them indoors for 4 months? Or do you mean you suspect other types of abuse, & keeping them indoors is to hide that?

I wonder if one of the kids has immune issues, so the parents are super sensitive for that reason (with good reason). Otherwise, I don't think that's normal or healthy, but I don't know that it qualifies as abuse. But why not let them, or require them to spend a bit of time in the yard, at least? Strange.

Is it possible they go to a park or somewhere outside occasionally, but you aren't aware of it? Are you keeping that close an eye on them?

If you suspect other types of abuse, nothing in your post leads me to think that, although I am aware of cases where neighbors didn't see kids for long periods of time because they were being physically abused. But you'd need some evidence of abuse, to report it, I think.

If you call for a welfare check, she'll know it's you because you've asked her about the kids.

This is a hard one. I think I'd keep my eyes open a little longer and think about a couple of weeks later. It is possible they go somewhere occasionally, but you don't know it. If you're at work, for instance.

If they're playing hard and you hear them, it sounds like they're physically fine (unless they're pounding for help, which you don't indicate is what you hear).

Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM

725 posts, read 647,291 times
Stay out of business that doesn’t concern you. Worry about your own kids. Worry about government infringement of individual freedoms to live your life as you please and raise your kids as you please. Don’t be the meddling neighbor.

Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM

6,804 posts, read 5,845,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Different strokes for different folks. My family recently spent a week camping. My brother and his wife's kids play with other kids on the playground and beach. Also, they play with other kids of their parents' friends who they have invited over for company. Everyone has different opinions about the COVID-19 pandemic. Some people are relaxed about it while others are being very cautious.
This. On Friday, I took oldest grandson (6 1/2) to a nearby park. The park has numerous playgrounds which were all closed until last week. DD let me take him on the condition we'd hike the nature trails and stay away from other people. There were kids on the playgrounds, and I know he wanted to play with them, but DD said no.

Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM

6,097 posts, read 3,347,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Stay out of business that doesn’t concern you. Worry about your own kids. Worry about government infringement of individual freedoms to live your life as you please and raise your kids as you please. Don’t be the meddling neighbor.

Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

5,457 posts, read 2,005,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selling home View Post
The people who live next door have two kids ages 6 and 10 years old. I have not seen them since about March 1st. But I hear them every day running and pounding on the walls of their townhouse.

I did see their mother out on the porch and asked about the kids and she said that since the COVID-19 virus started to be an issue she has not allowed the kids to go outside their home. That has been almost four months now with no end in sight.

I don't believe it would be possible for my three kids to stay at home trapped in the house for that long 24/7. They would go nuts and act out. I don't even know if it is healthy to stay indoors 24/7 as kids. In my travels outside, I have seen more kids outside during the last four months than any time since I was a kid 30 years ago. The walking path near my home is jammed with adults and kids, bikes are sold out and everywhere, parks are jammed and kids are playing noncontact sports. But the kids next door remain trapped in their home 24/7. Your thoughts?
My thoughts are you might want to go and tell them you have been gossiping about them.

Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM

2,422 posts, read 811,523 times
Maybe you should look into your own life to find out why you think this is any of your business.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

1,488 posts, read 800,040 times
Is your name Karen?

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

37 posts, read 7,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selling home View Post
In my travels outside, I have seen more kids outside during the last four months than any time since I was a kid 30 years ago. The walking path near my home is jammed with adults and kids
Maybe this is why the mom doesn't feel comfortable with the kids going out? I'm just guessing here. Personally, my feelings about this would be different depending on where you are. If you're in NY or NJ, yeah, this seems a bit extreme now. If you're in FL or TX, you know what, the mom has a point. Anyway, do you even know they're never leaving the house? Maybe they're going to parks during off-hours, but not going into the yard where there are all these people walking past them on the sidewalk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or