U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 06:59 PM

5,507 posts, read 6,799,264 times

Advertisements

It's not hard to know when neighbors come and go. At least when you're awake. A door slamming, a car starting. Sound of voices outside. Number of cars in the driveway.

I may not know if neighbors are gone for an hour but a day or a week, yes, probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:37 AM

46 posts, read 10,576 times
How do I know the neighbor kids have not left their home for the last four months? Their mother told me when I saw her on the deck. She only left the house once in the last four months. They don't even go for walks outside.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,256,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selling home View Post
How do I know the neighbor kids have not left their home for the last four months? Their mother told me when I saw her on the deck. She only left the house once in the last four months. They don't even go for walks outside.
What did you say when she told you that?

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

13,423 posts, read 23,073,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selling home View Post
The people who live next door have two kids ages 6 and 10 years old. I have not seen them since about March 1st. But I hear them every day running and pounding on the walls of their townhouse.

I did see their mother out on the porch and asked about the kids and she said that since the COVID-19 virus started to be an issue she has not allowed the kids to go outside their home. That has been almost four months now with no end in sight.

I don't believe it would be possible for my three kids to stay at home trapped in the house for that long 24/7. They would go nuts and act out. I don't even know if it is healthy to stay indoors 24/7 as kids. In my travels outside, I have seen more kids outside during the last four months than any time since I was a kid 30 years ago. The walking path near my home is jammed with adults and kids, bikes are sold out and everywhere, parks are jammed and kids are playing noncontact sports. But the kids next door remain trapped in their home 24/7. Your thoughts?
How do you think it's child abuse that the kids aren't going outside? They're obviously being active inside the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Do you mean you think it's abuse to keep them indoors for 4 months? Or do you mean you suspect other types of abuse, & keeping them indoors is to hide that?

I wonder if one of the kids has immune issues, so the parents are super sensitive for that reason (with good reason). Otherwise, I don't think that's normal or healthy, but I don't know that it qualifies as abuse. But why not let them, or require them to spend a bit of time in the yard, at least? Strange.

Is it possible they go to a park or somewhere outside occasionally, but you aren't aware of it? Are you keeping that close an eye on them?

If you suspect other types of abuse, nothing in your post leads me to think that, although I am aware of cases where neighbors didn't see kids for long periods of time because they were being physically abused. But you'd need some evidence of abuse, to report it, I think.

If you call for a welfare check, she'll know it's you because you've asked her about the kids.
As you said, it's possible someone has immune or some other health issues where the parents feel they don't want any of them going out. My adult daughter and I have immune issues, my 7 year old grandson also has health issues. He was always catching something from head start and kindergarten. This last year (1st grade) was the 1st year he had not been sick so much. Both my grandson and his sister that's 3 have asthma where they get really sick to where they'll throw up when it's hot or cold.

Where I am has been cold, raining or the few days that it was nice out, my daughter or I had video doctor appointments or had other things we had to do in addition to my grandson doing online school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
This is a hard one. I think I'd keep my eyes open a little longer and think about a couple of weeks later. It is possible they go somewhere occasionally, but you don't know it. If you're at work, for instance.

If they're playing hard and you hear them, it sounds like they're physically fine (unless they're pounding for help, which you don't indicate is what you hear).
Sounds to me like they have an area set up where the kids can run around inside. My grand kids haven't been going outside much, but my basement is set up where my 3 year old granddaughter can ride her trike, battery Minion car, or push the Fisher Price lawn mower. Both of them ride their scooters in my 2 car garage, or the driveway. I'll also let them play with the hoppity hop in the house when my hub isn't home. The staircase is in the middle of the foyer, they're able to do a large loop thru the kitchen, living room and dining room.

My grandson was also doing gym online, the gym teacher had them do videos like Tabata for kids, there was another site where they had to follow the dances to songs like foot loose.

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

14,190 posts, read 14,864,811 times
You don’t know the health status of those kids. My friend has two children who are very active and accomplished. They also were born with heart defects that could kill them if they get covid. Stay out of a situation you don’t know anything about.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

14,190 posts, read 14,864,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I agree, I wouldn't say it's flat-out child abuse, just extreme paranoia on the mother's part to not let the kids out at all. A welfare check sounds like a good idea. I wonder what the mother plans to do when the kids go back to school unless they're home-schooled.....

Recently, there was family renting out a cottage near our lakefront property for a week. They had 2 small children about the same age as my niece and nephew. The mother wouldn't let her kids play with my niece and nephew because of her fears about COVID-19. I thought it was sad.
Common sense on the part of the renters - they don’t know you or what precautions your family is taking. If your niece and nephew were exposed they could pass it to the entire family. THINK. This is the reason the US is blocked from Europe.

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

12,822 posts, read 17,704,388 times
I'm much more concerned about people letting their kids play with random people (or even people who are outside your "bubble"), throwing pool parties and bbqs, and not wearing masks than I am people quarantining at home.

I've lost several people to covid, and know several dozen more who have gotten sick. Of those who know they've had it, more than half have been ill for more than 2 months - and these are formerly healthy people in their 20s and 30s. Some of their kids have gotten very sick.

I'd be much more likely to consider (which still means not at all likely) calling for a welfare check for someone letting their kids run around without masks on with strangers than I would parents who are keeping their kids at home.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

18,545 posts, read 19,376,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm much more concerned about people letting their kids play with random people (or even people who are outside your "bubble"), throwing pool parties and bbqs, and not wearing masks than I am people quarantining at home.

I've lost several people to covid, and know several dozen more who have gotten sick. Of those who know they've had it, more than half have been ill for more than 2 months - and these are formerly healthy people in their 20s and 30s. Some of their kids have gotten very sick.

I'd be much more likely to consider (which still means not at all likely) calling for a welfare check for someone letting their kids run around without masks on with strangers than I would parents who are keeping their kids at home.
Well said.

I agree.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

6,826 posts, read 3,764,856 times
This mother let her child play with another child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jujfN6sRRJc

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

46 posts, read 10,576 times
USA Today has an article in the news that said it will be Late Summer 2021 before we get a vaccine and it is maybe 50-50 that it will work properly. That means the poor neighbor kids will not see the outside world or any friends for at least a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or