Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 10:47 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Not my friend who was a homeless street rat when we first met. Last surviving parent died unexpectedly... At just shy of 18, she was too old for foster system and too young to take care of herself. We all looked after her an did what we can... Through her ups and way way downs after she started meth. She went into rehab and moving away. She stayed with us for a little... Esp during cold winters.... but she was carrying (heroin at that point) and we had young children in the house... No kid should be in that situation... Nice kid too.... We still stay in touch today...

Even when she had some income, it's difficult to get a rental.... No credit history, no large deposit... The closest she had to a home was a weekly rental at a seedy hotel.

I know of some families with some tough situations with their adult kids... Sometimes tough love is thelast resort. Knowing what my friend went through it would be a very last resort and an option I hope to avoid wihh my own children
In my state, and I suspect nationwide, anyone under 18 yrs old would NOT be too old for foster care, even if they were 17 and 11 months old. And foster care would provide for them until they were 21, at least, if they were in school or technical school - and by provide, I mean their own apartment, their own car, tuition, and a stipend! A hell of a lot more than my own well-off parents provided for me. Of course, if they were doing drugs, the state would provide for rehab, but if they then continued to do drugs, they'd wash out of the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 12:31 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Sorry, EVERY supermarket or place that sells food and other necessities, like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. is hiring, desperate for workers to replace the older workers who are staying home. You're a young adult, which means that you are at very low risk of becoming dangerously ill from coronavirus, plus you could wear a mask and wash your hands frequently. And if your father was really on the verge of throwing you out for using profanity, DON'T USE PROFANITY. You want him to be happy to have you there? Try cleaning the house, cleaning the basement and the garage, mowing the lawn, doing the grocery shopping, cooking, setting the table, cleaning up after the meal, etc. Behave as if you're a full time servant in the house, and your father will be THRILLED to keep you there as long as you like.
i am at high risk according to my doctors because i have a compromised immune system.My dad uses profanity all the time so i dont know why he has a problem with me using it.He also used profanity less than 5 minutes after he threatened to leave me in that small town 9 hours from home.I am at more of a risk of death or serious illness from covid because of my compromised immune system.I dont know how i would suddenly be able to get a job 9 hours from home in a really small town with no car and no money and nowhere to live.I cant work because of my life-threatening compromised immune system condition.

Last edited by C24L; 07-02-2020 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-02-2020, 02:04 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:

Virtually every homeless person has family that won't take him/her in, because they are dangerous or impossible to live with. If we, as a society, were to insist on supervised administration of medication for the mentally ill (many homeless people are paranoid schizophrenics), that, in and of itself, would make a HUGE dent in the homeless population.
I had a relative who was schizophrenic. He, also, was an alcoholic.

In the past, such people most likely would have being institutionalized for the rest of their lives. When deinstitutionalization started being championed by both sides of the aisle, then became law, mental institutions closed all over the country. While, it was true that there were people in these places who didn't belong there, that didn't call for throwing out the baby with the bath water. Many of those people did belong in such places.

That old saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" applies here. It was naively thought that if people were released and given instructions to go to X clinic X times a month to get their medication, all would be well. However, many of these people were let out and they had no place to go. Schizophrenics will take their meds for a while then decide they are fine and no longer need meds. Thus the illness rears its ugly head and they get hospitalized for a couple of days to get stabilized. They are released and the cycle starts once again. Some do have families who are doing their best to keep them on an even keel but they can't be there 24/7. Schizophrenics are a good example of people who need to be institutionalized for their entire lives.

My schizophrenic relative was a perfect example of the above. In his case, he would go off his meds and during that time frame would do something like swallow a lot of pills or cut his wrists. In each case, he would call an immediate family member and tell them what he did. Of course, they would arrange to get him to the hospital. Then the cycle would start yet again.

He moved to an apartment in a high rise building. When he moved in, he told his immediate family that as soon as he figures out how to get the screen out of the window, he was going to jump out of it. They dismissed it as just talk but...it turned out not to be "just talk".

I truly believe that if he had been institutionalized, he would still be alive.

All this isn't meant to say that all schizophrenics are the same way. There are a small number of them who do keep taking their meds but they are the exception, not the rule.

I've heard of at least one mental institution that was shuttered in the 80s and still stands empty. Many of the patients who were released had no place to go and ended up living on the grounds of the place. That strikes me as very sad.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:00 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
They could get multiple jobs and not be homeless. Their choice.

A 19 year old can work.
Absolutely, even younger than that. I was working as a janitor in the school system when I was 12...at the high school that I attended. At 15 I had a full-time job at a service station/auto repair garage, while still going to school. There was an evening when I was going out to see a friend, my father didn't want me to go, he said "If you go out that door, don't come back."

I don't know, maybe he thought it would scare me or something. It didn't. I left...and I didn't go back. It was a little rough, for a while, I lived in a tent in the woods until it started getting cold and then I found a room-mate to share an apartment...funny thing was it was about 300 yards up the road from my old man's place and he never knew it.

Some months later he came around to the garage where I was working and insisted that I 'come home' with him right then. By that time, I was responsible for closing the garage in the evening and taking the day's receipts to the bank, as well as opening and closing on Saturdays. I was repairing a tire when he came in, and had a 4lb sledge in my hand at the time.

"You're coming home with me, right now, boy."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you *are*."

Hefting the sledge- "NO, I'M *NOT*."

He looked at me for a minute or so without saying anything else, then turned around and left.

I chose to accept responsibility for my decision and situation, and to make my own way in the world. I think that that's what it comes down to in a lot of cases. All too often these days, children are not taught to take responsibility for their choices and actions.

Quote:
Sorry, EVERY supermarket or place that sells food and other necessities, like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. is hiring, desperate for workers to replace the older workers who are staying home. You're a young adult, which means that you are at very low risk of becoming dangerously ill from coronavirus, plus you could wear a mask and wash your hands frequently.
Yep, he could have *my* job. I am 'high risk' due to age and co-morbidities (HBP, COPD). I am staying out of work for just as long as possible. I am banking as much UI as possible, and with other resources I could potentially stay out of work until I am old enough to file for SS. There are jobs for those who want them and can work. My employer(s) would dearly love for me to return to work but I can't do that until other people begin acting responsibly.

Quote:
True, some of them are homeless because they're mentally ill, AND do drugs and alcohol. And some of them are homeless because they refuse to work, AND do drugs and alcohol. But you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is homeless, who is willing to work, not mentally ill, and doesn't do drugs and alcohol.
In my years of close contact with literally hundreds of the 'homeless', I met exactly *one* individual who was so because his situation had thrown him into it and he didn't want to be there. I was able to advise him and direct him to the resources he needed to resolve his situation. He was appreciative, and took advantage of the assistance.

I met exactly *one* other individual, who was so mentally compromised that she couldn't understand the situation she was in, and I was able to get her the help she needed. She was in no way capable of surviving on her own.

As for the rest- they were there because that's where they *wanted* to be. Plenty of 'do-gooders' to supply them with food and other things, money for booze/drugs, no responsibilities, no taxes, no mortgage, nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
i am at high risk according to my doctors because i have a compromised immune system.My dad uses profanity all the time so i dont know why he has a problem with me using it.He also used profanity less than 5 minutes after he threatened to leave me in that small town 9 hours from home.I am at more of a risk of death or serious illness from covid because of my compromised immune system.I dont know how i would suddenly be able to get a job 9 hours from home in a really small town with no car and no money and nowhere to live.I cant work because of my life-threatening compromised immune system condition.
If you were working *before* the plague hit, then you would be able to draw from the accrued benefits of being a responsible, productive member of society. You are bullscatting us and trying to get us to feel 'sorry' for you. It's not going to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I've heard of at least one mental institution that was shuttered in the 80s and still stands empty. Many of the patients who were released had no place to go and ended up living on the grounds of the place. That strikes me as very sad.
Not just 'heard of', I know and have visited several of them.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:05 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
If you were working *before* the plague hit, then you would be able to draw from the accrued benefits of being a responsible, productive member of society. You are bullscatting us and trying to get us to feel 'sorry' for you. It's not going to work.
Well, no-- if they were offered a job/their job back and refused to take it, wouldn't they lose any unemployment benefits?

Old 07-02-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
If you have a compromised immune system, why did you violate the "Stay at home" orders and travel 9 hours from home? Also, if your father's condition for you continuing to live in his home is that you do not use profanity, then which is better? To not use profanity (even though he does), and have a home, or to stand on principle that if HE can use profanity, so YOU can, too, and get kicked out and be homeless?

Old 07-02-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Well, no-- if they were offered a job/their job back and refused to take it, wouldn't they lose any unemployment benefits?
In theory, yes. But right now, even Nigerian princes have been able to collect unemployment from abroad. People flat out tell me that anyone can get unemployment now, based upon bogus gig work, or jobs from 2019 that they quit or were fired from 6 months before the pandemic began. Unless, of course, some scammer has already applied for benefits in your name, and is collecting them from abroad.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Standard operating procedure for my generation in the south
18 a trade or military either way leave the nest
Strange my kid brother and I moved here in 1977 his kids are 26 still playing on the living room rug
My kid sister’s boy is 37 still no job

Old 07-03-2020, 12:55 AM

28 posts, read 29,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Every homeless person you see has parents or other relatives who won't take them in.
Maybe.. or the parents have given the child so many chances and he bangled up opportunity. It's not as simple as you wrote it.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:19 AM

28 posts, read 29,094 times
I watched an interesting show that matches this topic of homelessness and society's responsibilities. It was called Seattle is Dying and was filmed about a year ago. I saw it on youtube a few days ago. It basically says by being compassionate and letting homelessness to fester on our streets, we are actually being very cruel to the person because we aren't treating them. I would encourage everyone to watch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting