Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 02:38 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
True, some of them are homeless because they're mentally ill, AND do drugs and alcohol. And some of them are homeless because they refuse to work, AND do drugs and alcohol. But you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is homeless, who is willing to work, not mentally ill, and doesn't do drugs and alcohol.
I was briefly homeless back in 1972 in Denver, and back then, it was a piece of cake to go from homelessness to employment. Desperate, I took the lowliest job I could find, working in a nursing home for minimal pay as a nursing assistant. Back then, as opposed to today, I didn't need a CNA license, which can be costly in itself, no CNA schooling, no CPR card, no fingerprinting, no background check, no drug test and no uniform. I worked under someone for a week and after that I had my own hall to work. Sheesh! To merely change diapers and do vital signs, how much education do you need!

And even if someone went thru a month long CNA course, got their license, most places won't even look at you unless you have 6 months experience or a year.

In Las Vegas, you even need a Health Card to even work at a fast food joint. Cost: $350!

Today, there's way too many obstacles for the homeless to enter the employment world. I can easily see why so many turn to drugs and alcohol.

I left home at 18 but was able to sustain myself. We forget that we're not all cut out of the same cloth, some people have strengths you can only dream about having, and others simply don't have the strengths to overcome major obstacles. I pity them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 09:36 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Taxpayers have consistently voted, No. Instead they have voted for more policing and compassionate care.
I'm over 60. This has never been on any ballot in the two states I've voted in. The legislators have to pass bills on that issue. So the voters haven't voted on it, just like we don't vote on a large number of issues. We vote for the legislators. I remember when there were mental health facilities and then they were outlawed, but I don't recall who did it or why. This I think happened around the Reagan era? Not sure.

Mental care facilities are very expensive, I guess. But there should be somewhere besides nursing homes. When my sister was put in a nursing home because of a stroke (although she was in her 50s), it was dangerous at times because there were a few mentally ill male patients there. The nursing home staff aren't trained in handling the mentally ill, and the facility isn't well designed for that. They didn't stay that long, so I guess they were there until a more suitable place could be found for them. But it was a danger for the other residents, as mentally ill male patients would roam into other rooms at night, bothering people, ranting, stealing, whatever.

The closing of mental health facilities has contributed in large part to the number of homeless in the country, as well as crime. But there were also atrocious stories about how patients were treated in mental health facilities. Drugged, abused. They were just a place to house them & drugged to be kept manageable. They could not be cured. Then there was teh situation where patients didn't choose to be institutionalized; they could be sent there against their will, which was controversial. So there are a lot of problems with mental health facilities.

Last edited by bpollen; 07-06-2020 at 09:46 AM..

Old 07-06-2020, 11:56 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Bingo.
Addicts know exactly how to manipulate caring people and they game the stupid system.
Talk to them and they immediately start with the bipolar adhd excuse model, they know how to play that tune. They won't go to free treatment such as AA or NA because they know nobody is buying it.
They remain sick until they choose to surrender.
Yeah, everyone at AA and NA remained sick until they hit bottom.

I don't share the idea that only addicts become homeless. I was one of those kids that found themselves left standing on a sidewalk and told not to come home. I was not an addict or a bad kid in anyway. My crime was I graduated from high school.

I have to tell you, its a lot easier to sleep on the street if you drink until you pass out. You know, just like people have a cocktail or two before boarding a plane to calm their anxiety.

I cant believe its so easy to judge people when you have never walked in their shoes.

I agree that many people put up with an addicted child until they simply cant anymore. They are tired of finding everything of value in the house gone one day, and tired of watching their child kill itself.

This situation seems different. Autistic child - aren't they always prescribed some kind of drug? Antipsychotics, Antidepressants, Stimulants, Anticonvulsants?

Would it be expensive for a family to cover medical care & Rx if suddenly their autistic child is no longer covered by Medicaid? Could they find a way to simply do what my family did?

My guess would be they could do it easier.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:30 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
SADLY these types of parents set the tone for behavior of their offspring- this is well documented as Narcissistic Personality Disorder behavior, etc. Adult addicts can also give their kids very warped ideas of what it is to relate to others, or how to survive in society.

* with that being said, a lot of American teens that are over-eager to go away to University or sign an enlistment contract with the armed forces ARE getting away from their dysfunctional parents and relatives. It's not considered acceptable in American culture to bad talk one's parents so usually the only people who know of what is really happening in someone's personal life might be a handful of friends and a couple confidants at work.
If the parent and relatives never use profanity around the child growing up(formative years) how can some people always point the blame at the parent?

example: Foreign parents move here with their child who grows up with American culture. What happens sometimes is a respectable family raise their child, then when they're a teen they become a different person with friend and use profanity. Then they test their frustration or anger on their parents when they see it on TV, social media or hear it from friends.

Teens aren't going to voluntarily be honest nowadays, no matter how well you think you relate to them. The teen makes their own choices even when its repeatedly said it is not accepted in the house.

Let's say the teen moves out and with a new roommate. The roommate(s) doesn't want profanity or tirades in the home. This should be respected as a rule or the person must go if profanity is a must-have in their discussions.

There are jobs out there or online. It's a matter of them taking it instead of waiting for the exact opportunity. The real world you start low and eventually move higher with ambition and hard work. Many, many celebrities say this is how they made it. They knew their first few jobs were dead-end but that made them work harder to get out of that situation. I knew a celebrity who made $4.50 an hour waiting tables and had a junk car. He was an all-around good guy. Then he got his break on a hit TV show in the 90's.
You may not make it big but you can improve yourself. Covid-19 is not an excuse unless you place limits on yourself. See it as an opportunity.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:11 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,367,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post

This situation seems different. Autistic child - aren't they always prescribed some kind of drug? Antipsychotics, Antidepressants, Stimulants, Anticonvulsants?

Would it be expensive for a family to cover medical care & Rx if suddenly their autistic child is no longer covered by Medicaid? Could they find a way to simply do what my family did?
I am the parent of an autistic child. Some are prescribed meds, some are not. There is also a big difference in whether or not someone with a prescribed med actually takes it, as well as does the medication enable them to obtain employment and support themselves. We live in a state that has Medicaid for some with limited income.

My son tried for almost 2 years to obtain a job in this state. We gave up eventually and sent him to another, where he got a job in 2 weeks. He then needed a substantial amount of money to rent an apartment, as virtually no one wants to rent to a 19 year old who has held a job for 2 weeks and has no money. Until his benefits kicked in I paid for the meds he needed out of pocket.

I am blessed by God to have the financial ability to do all of the above. Thus far his story is working well, he's kept the job, loves the company and is working towards being licensed in his trade.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:49 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
I worked for a therapist once - he was confiding about a client and we both determined that the kid probably did not have psychological problems as much as needed money!

Old 07-07-2020, 06:46 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,321,829 times
How common is it for parents to make their adult children homeless?

It's not common for parents to make their adult children homeless. It's only when it's inevitable. I believe the percentage is very little.

Many adult children become homeless because they choose not to be responsible for and take care of themselves. They choose to not listen to good guidance from their parents. They don't want to hear "lectures" from their parents. They are rebellious to their parents and society. They think that's smart. They'd rather to hear "sweet" words from their peers. They prefer to follow their peers who indulge them with weed, drugs and booze to make them high and feel "happy" and forget about responsibilities in the real world. And when they are deep in those and become addict, they just cannot get out anymore. They cannot change themselves anymore.

It's heart broken for parents to see their children to be in big troubles and homeless. In many cases, no matter how much their parents love them and want to help, it's not enough. They just demand more and deny that their parents love them and show ungratefulness. Even the parents pay Shrinks to help them, it just does not work. Nobody can help someone when that someone does not or does not want to help him/herself.

Yeah, many parents are mean and irresponsible. They don't deserve to have children. But so are many children. Some learn from their bad peers. Some were just born mean. It's hard to say. There are cases that good parents have bad children, and bad parents have good children. That's why many people wonder "why bad things happen to good people?" and "why good things happen to bad guys?" such as many psychopaths get so many good things like good jobs, high positions, good pay and many people like them until they discover they are cheating badly and mean and do illegal things.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post

No, autistic children are almost never prescribed drugs.

There are no drugs that are really for autism. Now, some autistic children are prescribed drugs for various problems (sleep problems are big ones). Stimulants may be prescribed if a child has ADHD as a part of their diagnosis. Anticonvulsants are prescribed for seizures and epilepsy. Antidepressants may be prescribed for anxiety if that is present but therapies are used much more frequently than drugs.

My autistic grandson has NEVER had a drug prescribed for any of his problems. He has had various therapies including ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis), OT (Occupational Therapy for fine motor problems and sensory processing help), Speech Therapy (because he was non-verbal before he was 5), Social Skills Therapy (to help him deal with his lack of social skills). Other therapies that might be used include Hippotherapy (horseback riding with therapists), changing diets (often to a Gluten Free diet), psychiatrist or psychologist sessions, Floor Time, RDI (Relationship Developmental Intervention), swimming, and PRT (Pivotal Response Training).

Old 07-08-2020, 09:45 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,367,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I worked for a therapist once - he was confiding about a client and we both determined that the kid probably did not have psychological problems as much as needed money!
Was there something in particular that kept the kid from going to work to earn money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting