Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 PM

8 posts, read 20,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
And if a 19 year old wants to be treated like the adult they claim to be, then they are welcome to do all these wonderful adult things: find their own place to live, pay their own rent, pay their own car insurance, pay for their own education, pay all their own bills, including health insurance and food and liquor of course!

If you don't like the house rules then move out and do whatever your heart desires because that is the gift and joy of being a grown-up!

Umm yeah...my $20,000 car...I pay for...my insurance, I pay for...gas, yep I pay for that too. I am also the one in debt for $25,000 worth of student loans. I pay for everything on my own including food. It sounds as though someones head is so far up their *** that they can't think clearly.

And how in the he*l would I receive a DUI for having one drink? It seems as though someone has attended too many AA classes to even think about the horrible act of having ONE DRINK...

I don't know where the majority of you guys come from but the right winged conversatism is making me a bit nauseous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 08:49 PM

793 posts, read 2,213,885 times
That is one of many reasons I don't want to live in the US, though Canada is getting bad too. If I had a choice I would move to Holland.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:05 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
SeattleChica- I would recommend toning down your attitude. I'm only a year older than you, but I would guess you were about 16 with your attitude and swearing. People here are only giving their points of view- and guess what, I agree with them. Regardless of what you do or what you pay for, if you're under your parents' roof, then you're under their rules. Grow up and face the music, hon.

I'm actually about as liberal as you can get. However, I respect my parents when they let me stay home over breaks out of the goodness of their heart and I follow their rules. I pay for my own food as well and worked my butt off in high school to get a near full scholarship to a top university so I wouldn't have student debt. I also pay my own numerous medical bills. So what? If I'm not paying rent, I have no room to complain. Heck, even if I was 30 and for whatever reason needed to live with my parents and they did not want me drinking, I wouldn't do it. That's what we call respect and gratitude in my family.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlechica View Post
Umm yeah...my $20,000 car...I pay for...my insurance, I pay for...gas, yep I pay for that too. I am also the one in debt for $25,000 worth of student loans. I pay for everything on my own including food. It sounds as though someones head is so far up their *** that they can't think clearly.

And how in the he*l would I receive a DUI for having one drink? It seems as though someone has attended too many AA classes to even think about the horrible act of having ONE DRINK...

I don't know where the majority of you guys come from but the right winged conversatism is making me a bit nauseous.
So, how is your mom dealing with your "betrayal". Have the two of you worked it out?
Has she admitted that she "overreacted"?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:43 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
And if a 19 year old wants to be treated like the adult they claim to be, then they are welcome to do all these wonderful adult things: find their own place to live, pay their own rent, pay their own car insurance, pay for their own education, pay all their own bills, including health insurance and food and liquor of course!

If you don't like the house rules then move out and do whatever your heart desires because that is the gift and joy of being a grown-up!
Woh.....seriously DimSumRaja -- there must be some kind of alcoholism or something in your family to cause you to react so strongly to this girl. I'll say it one more time: One or two drinks does not = a functional addict!!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:01 AM

22,181 posts, read 19,221,727 times
I'm just curious, how does a 19-year old end up with $25,000 of student loan debt and a $20,000 car?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-06-2008 at 11:13 AM..

Old 05-06-2008, 11:12 AM

22,181 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
So, how is your mom dealing with your "betrayal". Have the two of you worked it out?
Has she admitted that she "overreacted"?
Good point, good question.

There is also the issue of concern for the little sister who brought it to mom's attention. The mom may be worried not only for the drinking 19-year-old who is breaking the law, but the impact, effect, and influence that behavior is having on the younger child, the model she is setting, since siblings are greatly influenced and generally see their older siblings as role models to emulate and look up to.

One common shared universal characteristic of those who take drugs, including alcohol, is an utter self-centeredness, selfishness, and self-absorption, an inability to see or care how their behaviors impact those around them.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:14 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlechica View Post

You came on this forum and started a thread requesting the opinions of others. Because some of the opinions are not what you would have liked to hear is not a reason to become hostile or attack other members for their personal thoughts. Please keep this thread civil or it may have to close. Thank you.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:11 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
I'm just curious, how does a 19-year old end up with $25,000 of student loan debt and a $20,000 car?
I curious about that also. I didnt rack up that much studen loan debt after 6 years and I still dont have that $20,000 car.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:42 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I curious about that also. I didnt rack up that much studen loan debt after 6 years and I still dont have that $20,000 car.
Not sure when you went to school, but it's very easy to accrue 25k in debt after one year at a university. Heck I went to a public university and got thousands of dollars worth of scholarships and still finished year one with about 10k in debt. If she goes to a private or Jesuit uni I think it'd be easy to have far more than that in one year.

The car... I have no idea. I drove a '93 jeep until it wouldn't drive anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting