Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:59 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times

Advertisements

maybe Im off topic and I agree with all the posters on here that its wrong, I wouldnt want my daughter to do that at all.
Heres the problem, if you go to myspace and youtube and other sites for teen post on, you will see that what she did is no different than what thousands of other teens , boys and girls, have posted on their websites. Im not condoning it at ALL, im just saying that sadly that has become the norm for a lot of teens and their personal websites. Maybe it will take a celebrity like her doing it to finally draw attention to this fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 07:48 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homie01 View Post
I mean, she didn't posed nude. I don't how it can harm kids/teens 5 to 17 years old. Not every kids gonna copy everything they see on T.V.
Nothing is wrong with her but the people surrounding her who are making the decisions which are based on how much money can be drawn in.

Annie L. (can't spell her last name) is known for very unique pictures & can push the envelope most times with what the pics are "representing" in the name of art. Her parents are responsible in making sure they are at the shot the entire time & approve all pics that may be published. They are the adults, not Miley Cyrus, and they are the ones who are suppose to be looking out for her well being & upbringing.

I wish her parents would stop being greedy, step up to the plate & stop the overmarketing/exploitation of their daughter. But money talks, especially $15 million in one year.

The pressure that is inadvertently being put on her to be squeaky clean perfect is absolutely impossible to uphold.

And no, not "every" kid is going to copy what they see on tv, but right now she has massive influence on the preteen group. If she wasn't so huge right now & not so many little girls adored her, this wouldn't be an issue.

Would never wish this sort of life on my child. Life in fishbowl must be awful & no amount of money can replace what parents do or teach morals, ethics, reponsibility, etc.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
maybe Im off topic and I agree with all the posters on here that its wrong, I wouldnt want my daughter to do that at all.
Heres the problem, if you go to myspace and youtube and other sites for teen post on, you will see that what she did is no different than what thousands of other teens , boys and girls, have posted on their websites. Im not condoning it at ALL, im just saying that sadly that has become the norm for a lot of teens and their personal websites. Maybe it will take a celebrity like her doing it to finally draw attention to this fact.
Where are the parents?

It should not be the norm. It is not a healthy way to be when you are a young teenager.

To promote sexuality as a way of being accepted at such a young age is disasterous.

Parents need to get off their butts & take control of the what their kids are doing on the internet & stop just expecting it b/c "everyone else is doing it"...

Young celebs have been acting out in extreme mature ways for years upon years. There are obvious reasons why.

(not attacking you personally arguy )

Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Where are the parents?

It should not be the norm. It is not a healthy way to be when you are a young teenager.

To promote sexuality as a way of being accepted at such a young age is disasterous.

Parents need to get off their butts & take control of the what their kids are doing on the internet & stop just expecting it b/c "everyone else is doing it"...

Young celebs have been acting out in extreme mature ways for years upon years. There are obvious reasons why.

(not attacking you personally arguy )
didnt think you were..
the problem is parents dont pay attention to what their teens are doing on the net, i doubt they even know they are doing it.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:52 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,225,356 times
I just seen some of the pictures and I think it is sad to see a young beautiful girl like Miley posing like that, but what is even sadder is that unfortunately it has become a norm. Like some other poster's have written, this is the world of teenagers nowadays.

Everyday, young girls are posing like this and far worse for their myspace pictures and pictures they are sending through their cell phones. I tend to really get upset with celebrities and the images that they portray as being "cool" or what not. But, this morning as I was thinking about it all, I think a lot of teenagers are more concerned with idolizing their peers than they are with idolizing what they see on t.v. (not saying that this idolization does not happen, just that it is not as top of the list as we tend to believe it to be). I have a 15 year old daughter and I know that with her it is more about what her friends are wearing and doing than what someone on t.v. is wearing and doing. I can't imagine that she is the only one like that.

My mother is also in the media industry (she is an executive producer with a major television network) and one thing that I have learned from her is that what is put out on t.v. is geared a lot by what the majority of viewers want to see. If this is the case, then the one's directing what is seen on t.v., magazines, etc. is more the public. I think in general society has been really messed up in what has become appropriate for young girls and boys, and what is not appropriate.

Unfortunately for Miley, as it is with many other young stars, they simply can not get away with what the majority of teenagers are doing today. Why? Because there is always someone with a camera ready to expose them. She is a 15 year old moving in a very provacative world. It does take a strong parental watchdog to make sure that she does not get lost in that world (which is all too common for teen stars).

My daughter used to model from the time she was 2 years old until she was about 7. I remember being very very strict about her modeling. I decided what she wore and what she did not wear. No one did her makeup but myself. She was offered exclusive contracts which promised continual work and money and I turned it down stating "she is exclusive with me only". Why? Because many of these contracts gave them the authority to have final say so on what my daughter did or did not do. I was not about to give up that authority to an outside party. I had final say so and was not willing to compromise on that. My daughter enjoyed modeling and so she did it. But I was not about to let it get out of hand.

I remember one time, she was about 4 years old and the photographer preparing a composite for her wanted to take a picture of her sitting on a motorcycle with a small leather jacket, half off one shoulder. Mind you she was 4. I said no way, no how, thats not happening. I felt the image was too provocative and way too grown up for her and had no qualms about vocalizing that to the photographer. I told him in no uncertain terms that when I sent the pictures of my 4 year old daughter out that is what I wanted them to see, a 4 year old, not some 4 year old trying to look like she was 21.

Once school really picked up for my daughter, modeling took a very far 2nd seat, but I did learn a lot from the experience. I think what helped me is that I was being a mother first. While I realized that my daughter had a talent and that she enjoyed modeling, therefore allowing her to do it, I also was not in it for the money, so never allowed myself to get blinded by the money. On the flip side of that, I saw many parents totally blinded by the money and yes, exploiting their children. Which is extremely sad.

I saw mothers pulling on a 3 year old's ear because the kid was cranky that day and therefore was sent home losing their shot at the job. At the hair salon that I worked at as a asst. mgr., I saw a mother bleaching her 3 year olds hair because the disney job she was going for called for a blonde hair/blue eyed character. Mind you this little 3 year old had brown hair/brown eyes. So this meant the little girl got bleached hair and contacts. In conversation with this mother I did tell her I could never do what she was doing, if they wanted a blonde hair/blue eye girl then that was not a casting call my daughter would be going to. I felt for that little girl as she sat there with a pencil scratching her scalp because it burned and itched. She was 3 years old. I remember thinking to myself what are you speaking to your child by doing this, that she is not good enough the way she is and has to change her appearance. Crazy.

In my opinion, our children do not have to grow up idolizing anyone they see on t.v. I don't know if this concept came easy to me growing up with my mom in the industry and truly understanding that these people were no different than you and me, just they were on t.v. or what, but I have tried to pass that down to my children. Idolize no one, and your role models, look around you, find those in your family, your church, your environment, people who are living right, pressing forward, and accomplishing things. Those are the ones to have as role models, not the people you see on t.v., music video's or magazine covers.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:55 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
the question is "what's so good about Miley Cyrus?"

Old 04-29-2008, 03:08 PM

431 posts, read 1,641,520 times
maybe she and her parents made a mistake we ALL do. we are human. it is only made a big deal because of who she is and who her dad is. Do I want my daughter to dress older NO but again I think that people are allowed to make mistakes that is how we learn and move on. I am not attacking anybody or their opinions I am just giving my 2 cents.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 4,186 times
IF u show partial skin at that age, to the media and public, u are reffered to as a ****.... just my 2 cent ..

Old 04-29-2008, 04:20 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
The one with her father strikes me as creepy. Vanity Fair is a very good read, however they most likely chose the most controversial pictures in order to get the biggest possible publicity bounce out of it. It's just business.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
I found the father-daughter pic creepy too. He's an attractive, fairly young man. She's an attractive young girl. The two of them posed like that does not say "father-daughter" to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting