Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 05:33 PM

524 posts, read 246,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I'd be pleased they were developing a work history and making money, especially in this economy.

I would also expect them to bring me breakfast biscuits on a regular basis.
^^This. I'm no snob; I'd be proud that my child doesn't think such work is beneath him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 07:03 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
The majority employees at Starbucks have a degree many with advanced degrees mean wage $9.40
Plumber helper makes more and has a future
At least the Starbucks guy can bite his fingernails....

Old 07-14-2020, 10:44 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Life is about finding purpose. The upside is that *you* get to decide that purpose.

Yes, there are bills that need to be paid to survive ... housing, food, medical ... plus some fun.

But in our society, far too many people value themselves by someone else's rubric of success and purpose, which - IMO - leads to many of the ills of our society as it typically puts wealth and career advancement as the key (sometimes only) measures of "success" or "purpose" or "value" of one's life.

*You* get to decide what makes you happy, what gives you purpose in your life. Find people who support you, not their idea of what you should be. Separate yourself from those who drag you down. Enjoy your life - we get one shot at it.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:52 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I'd be pleased they were developing a work history and making money, especially in this economy.

I would also expect them to bring me breakfast biscuits on a regular basis.
Man, I am a sucker for those biscuits.

Worked there in the '80s when McDonals added biscuits to the menu on weeknights and weekends - my favorite shift was always when I saw 5:30 am - 1:30 pm for a Saturday or Sunday, which meant I was making biscuits that day, in before anyone else but the manager and working alone until the lunch rush (all morning making biscuits and then that person was assigned to do all of the dishwashing of the breakfast gear).

Those biscuits fresh from the oven ... I loved them.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:10 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
1. NO COLLEGE MAJOR IS "USELESS".

2. A lot better than if they had NO DEGREE.

3. It wouldn't be permanent. Something better would come along.
As a college junior my wife got kicked out of her teaching program for allegedly being too passive in classroom settings. In a daze she switched to a general degree. Ended up getting an entry level medical coding job, stayed for 14+ years and now makes $50k a year and works from home.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:09 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
Going back to college (especially if you do not have a clear path of what you want to do) is a waste of time and especially money IMO. A lot of positions just care that you have a college degree, it doesn't matter what it's in.

You could maybe try going to a temp service and getting something like a data entry job. It's boring work, but it generally pays more than minimum wage and you won't have to be dealing with customers and standing on your feet all day like in retail and fast food. it's also good for getting real-world experience and can get your foot in the door at companies.

And I wouldn't consider you a loser, especially if you are contributing to the household bills, buying groceries, cleaning, etc. Your mom should realize that some states have unemployment rates of 20% or more and a lot of people are taking "lesser" jobs to pay the bills. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an honest day's work, no matter what you do, whether it's scrubbing toilets or stock trading.
Agree, waste oif money if he doesn't have an end goal. Temp agency is a great idea

Old 07-15-2020, 08:42 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,746 times
It's fine by me, if it's fine with him/her. College isn't the be-all, end-all.
So long as my kid isn't sponging off me and laying around on my couch, belching, heaving, and drinking beer all day, and is gainfully employed with his own place, what do I care?
It might be his idea of living the dream; different than my dream, but it's his to have.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:47 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Walmart managers make triple digits, so I think that would be a good job, if you got into a management training course. If that is what you want. You need to decide for yourself, what life you want to live, not what your family wants.
How would going back to school, enhance your job prospects? Are you interested in working with your hands? Maybe get a skill in the trades.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:41 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
One of the biggest flaws in how young people approach the job market is their fatalism when a college degree doesn't immediately lead to great jobs being offered. The 1st key to success is to take the job you can get, work your butt off, recommend yourself for better things, get better things, rinse and repeat. The 2nd key is to not be discouraged when above model does not work at a particular place of employment.

Will that lead to some kind of miracle outcome where you're rich and powerful? Probably not, but a middling white collar job with a middling wage beats flipping burgers in terms of the resulting lifestyle options. It seems like so many people struggle with any sort of motivation unless the outcome is *great* and *guaranteed*, but that's not how life works.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:21 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Life is about finding purpose. The upside is that *you* get to decide that purpose.

Yes, there are bills that need to be paid to survive ... housing, food, medical ... plus some fun.

But in our society, far too many people value themselves by someone else's rubric of success and purpose, which - IMO - leads to many of the ills of our society as it typically puts wealth and career advancement as the key (sometimes only) measures of "success" or "purpose" or "value" of one's life.

*You* get to decide what makes you happy, what gives you purpose in your life. Find people who support you, not their idea of what you should be. Separate yourself from those who drag you down. Enjoy your life - we get one shot at it.
Spoken like someone who has true life experience and I would want my kid taking advice from (if I had any).

If only I had discovered this information sooner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting