Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 12:41 AM

7 posts, read 19,246 times

Advertisements

Have cute twin boys aged 8. Fussy on food since their mother always insisted on letting them eat just what they wanted. They were active and smart until the school and daycare got closed due to covid
4 months under the 'foody' mother made them gain a whooping 14 pounds and now I see my kids avoiding sports, friends and any activity involving action

Hieght.. 49 inches
Weight.. 79 lbs
BMI 23.1
Category obese

Unfortunately, mother doesn't find that a concern. Adamant as always, continues to offer them food that they relish.. would feed them chicken burgers calling them healthy since they have a piece of lettuce in them with some cucumbers.,. would lace butter around the whole wheat buns to make them taste as good as the white ones.. At 200 + pound unable to walk 200 mtrs, and an extreme 'lust' for tasty food, she finds it annoying to make kids diet for health
Kids listen and want to reduce. but mother wont resist and will feed them just what they cant resist gobbling in
I am not sure how to manage this situation. I have lost a good partner to obesity at an age of 40 and now i see my kids going the same route. Heart problems are hereditary in my family.. that adds up to my worries for my kids well being
I exert to make them play with friends, make them run fields.. but that doesnt help when their dinner is a big lump of starchy unblanched noodles with vegetables (800+ calories)

I stopped their daily freezies, cookies, juices but unable to stop their carb rich food. I am not sure if the doctor or a peditrician can help us here in making her understand the impact of these calorific food items
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 12:48 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,798,297 times
Why not take turns cooking, and make tasty but nutritious options, so at least half of their meals would be healthy?

Old 07-14-2020, 02:37 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,730,900 times
My oldest would always gain weight before a growth spurt. Usually when I took her to the doctor, she'd be at the 95th percentile for weight. Then she'd grow several inches, then a few months later she'd gain weight, then grow. She's now an adult with a healthy weight. Maybe your boys are headed for a growth spurt.

Last edited by Hedgehog_Mom; 07-14-2020 at 02:49 AM..

Old 07-14-2020, 05:23 AM

2,142 posts, read 3,037,997 times
A BMI of 23 is well within the normal range.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:07 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,223,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinneebhat View Post
Have cute twin boys aged 8. Fussy on food since their mother always insisted on letting them eat just what they wanted. They were active and smart until the school and daycare got closed due to covid
4 months under the 'foody' mother made them gain a whooping 14 pounds and now I see my kids avoiding sports, friends and any activity involving action

Hieght.. 49 inches
Weight.. 79 lbs
BMI 23.1
Category obese

Unfortunately, mother doesn't find that a concern. Adamant as always, continues to offer them food that they relish.. would feed them chicken burgers calling them healthy since they have a piece of lettuce in them with some cucumbers.,. would lace butter around the whole wheat buns to make them taste as good as the white ones.. At 200 + pound unable to walk 200 mtrs, and an extreme 'lust' for tasty food, she finds it annoying to make kids diet for health
Kids listen and want to reduce. but mother wont resist and will feed them just what they cant resist gobbling in
I am not sure how to manage this situation. I have lost a good partner to obesity at an age of 40 and now i see my kids going the same route. Heart problems are hereditary in my family.. that adds up to my worries for my kids well being
I exert to make them play with friends, make them run fields.. but that doesnt help when their dinner is a big lump of starchy unblanched noodles with vegetables (800+ calories)

I stopped their daily freezies, cookies, juices but unable to stop their carb rich food. I am not sure if the doctor or a peditrician can help us here in making her understand the impact of these calorific food items
Children tend to gain weight before they grow. They get bigger around then they grow taller. They are still within normal range, even if at the upper end. Most pediatric weight charts indicate at their age they are between 60-80 lbs. They are at the top end but I would relax if i were you. They will lean out, most boys have higher BMI than girls at this age because once testosterone starts going through them they lean out relatively quickly.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:26 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,270,435 times
The issue sounds more like yours. 23.1 is a perfectly healthy BMI. Your issue is more with their mother and you’re going to give your kids a complex. You apparently haven’t spoken to their pediatrician, but instead chose to post on an internet board.

I’m obese. I’ve lost 20 pounds and have 40 more to go. I always thought I was fat because of my mother and her emotional abuse. She had me on a diet when I was 11, despite the fact that back then I was a perfectly healthy weight. Straighten your own crap out before you start messing with your kids’ heads. Your wife is fat. We get it. But it’s not an excuse for projecting your own issues on your children.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:56 AM

2,729 posts, read 6,091,862 times
What has happened to cause their mother's eating and cooking habits to change so drastically since you decided to have children?

Old 07-14-2020, 09:18 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,798,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
The issue sounds more like yours. 23.1 is a perfectly healthy BMI. Your issue is more with their mother and you’re going to give your kids a complex. You apparently haven’t spoken to their pediatrician, but instead chose to post on an internet board.
23 is healthy for adults - I believe the cutoffs are quite different for prepubescent children.

That said, I agree that the way he's going about this is liable to cause the kids to have issues.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:19 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,958,737 times
I would be more concerned about them being around friends due to covid . I would not want my kids near any space occupying other kids sorry but facts are facts . Maybe you could suggest a salad every other meal instead of insisting maybe suggesting . I think they are fine for their age . Gotta say i agree you are going to make your kids a nut case with this .

Old 07-14-2020, 09:36 AM

13,632 posts, read 12,260,114 times
Just do everything you can to get the kids out of the house and moving. As a heavy kid, and now as an adult that struggles with obesity (or as I call it, being FAT,) the one saving grace was my involvement in athletics. Three sports from Kindergarten through High School, summer jobs of manual type labor.

The ability to workout well has meant that I'm able to better cope than I would be if i hadn't had that background.

If they aren't the soccer-baseball-hockey types then try swimming or golfing. I was into team and contact sports but my youngest brother was a swimmer and though he's always been lean, there were a fair amount of kids that were a bit heftier that were competitive at the younger levels and leaned out in their competitive HS levels. A bit of extra mass actually helps one float, rather than being extra weight to huff around with running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I would be more concerned about them being around friends due to covid . I would not want my kids near any space occupying other kids sorry but facts are facts . Maybe you could suggest a salad every other meal instead of insisting maybe suggesting . I think they are fine for their age . Gotta say i agree you are going to make your kids a nut case with this .
Unless one lives with grandparents or parents that have chronic conditions, I don't understand why people are afraid of covid for their kids. Worry about the elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting