U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 05:47 PM

310 posts, read 117,230 times

Advertisements

Male ballet dancers are quite strong and athletic. Ballet in Russia is quite revered.

As far as being "gay" or "homosexual", he's too young to worry about that yet.

You can talk to his ballet teacher about appropriate clothing. Say that you don't know whether kids should wear boxers or briefs, and you overheard a suggestion. What does the teacher suggest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 05:55 PM

3,827 posts, read 1,391,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
In sports we wear a cup or other support to prevent injury. Wouldn't a male ballet dancer need support for his genitals to prevent injury while landing from the leaping around? Maybe the girls underwear are tighter to hold things in place better than boys underwear.

Otherwise it was case of TMI.
Yes, it's called a dance belt. I don't know if young boys wear them, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
One of the requirements of a ballerina is that she be reed thin, so she can seemingly float on tippy toes across stage and be as light as possible to lift. Margot Fonteyn weighed less than 115#. I've read the avg ballerina weighs about 110#.

Modern male dancers also lift the females. Tap dancers, not usually.

I love ballet, and it does require strength & stamina, but as an art form, it's no more creative than the other forms, IMO. In fact, maybe less so, since it involves only certain types of movements and is steeped in tradition in only certain kinds of moves. Besides jazz & modern dance, and tap, there's also the Irish type used in Riverdancing, clog dancing, and other more casual types.

Gene Kelly was such a good modern dancer because of his gymnast background, so he had the strength and flexibility to do any type of dance, incl. a bit of ballet.

All dancing is great! Life wouldn't be worth living without a little dancing, is my motto. And you can be in a wheelchair and still dance! It's wonderful that any child is interested in dancing, whichever kind he chooses (why choose only one kind?). It's better than sitting inside playing computer games.

Let's take it on out with the famous Nicholas brothers tap dancers and Fonteyn/Nureyev famous Swan Lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBQOfyR75vY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDB8fV9PVTU
There are many types of dance from all over the world, and not necessarily casual. Highland dance (which originated as military training), Greek dancing, Russian dancing, Bhangra, Indian classical dance, Flamenco and other Spanish and Latin American styles, African dance styles, Native American styles, Middle Eastern, many kinds of Asian dance, and I'm not doing justice to any of them by mentioning them so generally because there can be several different styles within one country, let alone one region of the world.

Jazz, modern, tap, etc. dancers usually have a foundation in ballet.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:24 PM

8 posts, read 4,087 times
[quote=K12144;58696307]Yes, it's called a dance belt. I don't know if young boys wear them, though.

Boys start wearing dance belts for ballet around age 11... good point. They are really like thongs so if either boy is really serious and decides to stay with ballet, they will be wearing thongs, anyway in a few years. Very true... and the uniform for boys in ballet class will transition from t-shirt and black shorts to t-shirt and tights... DS may find wearing tights embarrassing at first.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:36 AM

871 posts, read 711,403 times
Maybe you should show your hubby some articles about pro football players that study ballet:

https://www.sikids.com/from-the-mag/twinkle-toes-nfl

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...ing-else-i-do/

Other famous men who took ballet lessons include Jean-Claude Van Damme, Evander Holyfield, Christian Bale, and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

It is especially popular among football players though. They believe it improves their performance.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:01 PM

213 posts, read 73,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Too feminine??? You ought to show your husband footage of professional male dancers and ask him to get up and perform those same movements with the same ease and lack of effort. They are better athletes than all the football, basketball and baseball players on the pro teams.
This ^ Some of the best figure skaters, ballet dancers etc are male. If he wants to do ballet, then let him. It's just a sport. A beautiful one. Americans still have trouble accepting the idea of anything considered "beautiful" applying to male looks, performance, etc. w/o suspecting they're gay/meTR0seXuAll/potentially trans. etc. Frankly I think that should change.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:13 PM

582 posts, read 159,534 times
I believe you have posted before, under couple different names or quite possibly I'm wrong and it's been other posters, but I've noticed A) it's always a brand new poster and B) the topic is always children's panties/underwear. For a lot of reasons, I do not feel comfortable discussing that with you nor do I think it's appropriate to talk about it in so much detail. I"ve noticed you talk about underwear\panties quite extensively.

If you want to talk about boys enrolling in ballet, you could always talk to a local dance school about this and they could give you some ideas. There are plenty of boys in my area who take dance classes, not just ballet but jazz, ballroom dancing, etc.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
There's also Mikhail Baryshnikov, Rudolf Nureyev, and Vaslav Nijinsky - all very male and straight. These would all be good role models for your son if he truly likes ballet.
Not sure what biographies you have been reading, but you maybe would be better off checking with something more accurate for Rudy and Vas.

Last edited by StormTrouper; 03-01-2021 at 03:58 AM..

Old 03-06-2021, 02:56 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,032,722 times
When I lived in San Francisco years ago, I rented a flat above one of the Principal Dancers for the San Francisco Ballet. What a life. He got to travel with the troupe to exciting places, and live his dream. He eventually married another danecr and they started their own ballet school.

There was nothing effeminate about him, and even if there were, so what? Those male dancers are lifting ballerinas over their heads; they are very strong and fit.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:03 AM

3,276 posts, read 1,140,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Too feminine??? You ought to show your husband footage of professional male dancers and ask him to get up and perform those same movements with the same ease and lack of effort. They are better athletes than all the football, basketball and baseball players on the pro teams.
^^^ This. Ballet, like yoga, is underrated, and not at all restricted to females, although it does seem that mostly females stay with it.
Like Spin class. Rarely is there a guy in class. Why is that?

Old 03-07-2021, 10:51 AM

753 posts, read 567,825 times
[quote=Westside Mommy;58675401 One day, when no one else was around the dance studio she happened to blurt out that her son wears girls' underwear... he just finds the panties softer, more comfortable and perfect for when he does ballet.

I was surprised she would tell me this randomly and I just smiled. But when I got over my shock a little later, I realized that I want my son to be open-minded and open-hearted to classmates who are different.

I don't think it is a big deal if my son finds ballet more comfortable in panties like his friend. The boys are only 8. My DH, unfortunately, is concerned this is making him too feminine and because of some bullies in DS' class who have begun teasing him about being a boy dancer. How would you have reacted when the mom's friend told us what he wears? [/quote]

How ridiculous this kind of crap is STILL a problem in 2021!!!
There's no "girls underwear" or "boys toys" there's undergarments and there's children's toys!

For one thing pants are essentially nothing but a dress cut up the front and back and stiched to make two leg tubes, men wear KILTS and no one thinks anything of it, what is a "kilt" but a DRESS made with colored plaid, they sell mens work kilts called "utilikilts" and construction workers like them because they are a lot cooler than pants in the hot summer on the job site

https://www.knkx.org/post/why-do-uti...many-northwest

https://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/utilikilt.jpeg

What are the "action figures" sold to boys like GI Joe? they are DOLLS given a BS PC renaming, but no matter what you call them they are still DOLLS so people need to get over it!

The reason why underwear men wear differs from underwear women wear in fabric thickness as well as configuration should be obvious- men need "support" that women don't,(much like women need a bra for "support" that men don't) and men don't usually sit down to urinate, so that's the only difference between the two and it has to do strictly with physical differences.
If a man or boy feels more comfortable in one v/s the other good for them, go for it, but they do have to remember the limitations of the design as well as the likely lack of good "support", it can cause mild pain over time in the testicles and their suspensory ligaments etc., but a jock strap is made for that.

I remember a boy in a video on youtube who simply liked to wear dresses and dress up as a princess;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB_2-gsH8GE

Teddy Roosevelt was pictured as a toddler in a dress, back then little boys and girls both wore dresses.

Also, the colors associated with baby boys and girls expecially- pink and blue were actually the opposite of what they are now- PINK was associated with boys not blue;
Quote:
Pastel colors for baby clothing—including blue and pink—were introduced in the mid-19th century, and they didn’t become sex-specific colors until the 20th century. A couple of different aspects affected the ultimate designation of pink for girls.Back before pastels were popular for babies, most parents dressed their kids in white dresses until they were about six. Historian Jo B. Paoletti says this outfit was practical: white cotton could be easily bleached, and dresses allowed convenient access for diaper changing. Then pastel colors became a fad for babies. These pastels weren’t marketed to a certain sex: both boys and girls were dressed in a wide array of pastels, including blue and pink.

In 1918 the trade publication Earnshaw’s Infants’ Department said the “generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.” Additionally, a 1927 issue of Time noted that large-scale department stores in Boston, Chicago, and New York suggested pink for boys.

This trend of pink for boys was not as overwhelming as our current color-sex designation, however.The baby boomers in the 1940s were the first to be dressed in the sex-specific clothing that Americans are familiar with today. Boys and girls were dressed like miniature men and women instead of uniformly in children’s dresses. Pink became the girls’ color, blue the boys’. This trend in children’s clothing took a dip in the mid-1960s and 1970s owing to the women’s liberation movement. People who took part in this movement thought that dressing young girls in feminine or stereotypically “girly” clothing would limit the girls’ opportunities for success, and many parents began favoring neutral colors and fashions. By the 1980s, however, gender-oriented kids clothing had come back into fashion strongly.

It is funny how we allow commercial ads, a magazine, and fashion fads to dictate all this to us, like changing pink and blue to complete opposite associations.

Let the kid decide what kind of undergarments he likes best and feels most comfortable wearing, and as far as ballet or dancing being "whimpy" or "feminine" or "gay" I say BS!! the male ballet dancer has a hell of a lot or hard work to do, nothing whimpy or feminine about having to hoist another person up over your head while dancing! It's a VERY hard sport and injuries are common, in fact the women's feet are tortured beyond belief by having them crammed in tiny pointed shoes and having to literally dance on the tips of their toes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtD9Iv_Gq0U

Be more concered about the boy's FEET than what kind of undergarment he wears
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting