Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 12:28 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,411,978 times

Advertisements

I feel we all can share this so it helps everyone.
Ages: 3 and 1
Letters, numbers, kiddy pool backyard, drive thru activities, hour of tablet time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 06:49 PM

1,462 posts, read 973,293 times
4 yr old daughter, we print out worksheets for her to practice her numbers, letters, spelling and coloring. ABC Mouse but we have to monitor so she doesn't just click items to buy in her 'room' with the tickets she gets for completing activities. We practice math and spelling with her to keep her interested. Also puzzles that are age appropriate. We also have card games like Go Fish, Dinosaur Memory card Game and she also likes Jenga.

My spouse's work has online activities (zoom classes) such as reading time, coloring, math where they interact with a 'teacher' which is nice.

Old 07-19-2020, 03:40 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
I spent over two solid months with my grandsons during the lockdown.

Pillow forts. We did this every day for a while. We took every pillow (and blanket) from every room in the house (except for DD's and son in law's room...they wouldn't have liked it). Made a cave with enough room for all three of us.

Parcheesi. I taught three year old grandson to count during the quarantine, so he learned it pretty well. I taught the 6 year old to play Monopoly (except it's not all that much fun when you don't have more than two players).

Lastly...the really "contraband" stuff they don't want their kids exposed to (aka normal stuff WE grew up on). A little bit every day of Bugs Bunny, The Little Rascals, The Three Stooges. I've introduced my grandkids to all of the above. Oldest (6 1/2) says, "This isn't appropriate!" but he watches and laughs. DD came home to both kids yelling, "I can't see! I can't see! What's the matter? I got my eyes closed!" And I was trying to teach them table manners..."Where's your Emily Post?" Well, I've at least taught them to set the table, place settings, etc., and a napkin and what it's used for. And how to eat politely at the dinner table (NOT to eat with your fingers and chew with your mouth open). The running gag still is, "Where's Your Emily Post?"

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 07-19-2020 at 04:00 AM..

Old 07-20-2020, 12:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Make prints with blocks (and paint)
Tape tongue depressors to the table or high chair tray and let the kids peel the tape.
Take cups and cut out the bottoms and tape up to the wall in a pattern so that a small ball will go through the maze.
Blow bubbles - stick hands in the bubbles, use food coloring to make it fun.
Use pipe cleaners to make art.
Use food color to make spaghetti noodles and then play with them.
Use a big box for the kids to get inside -color with crayons or paint to make a house.
Use spray bottles to spray water on the windows or your car.
Glue pennies to the bottom of their shoes and tap dance or make footprints in the mud or sand.
Use empty toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls to make any craft. You can make a bird feeder using peanut butter and bird seed and hang it on a tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting