Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 04:24 PM

9 posts, read 5,265 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, first time poster here hoping some one may have some ideas. I will start by saying that we have two boys one is 11 and the other is 7. We have had nothing but issues with our 11 year old since he started school. Running down the halls screaming, hiding in the bathrooms doing who knows what, does not know when to stop bugging people just keeps doing it, listens to what you say but then does it behind your back when he does not think your watching. We kind of always thought he seemed "off" or something he does not remind me of myself, or my wife of herself, hes just different which is fine and he can be a great wonderful kid. But recently its been nothing but issues that get worse and worse. We have tried getting help from the school twice but nothing ever comes of it. We did bring him to our family doctor more than once and got a possible diagnoses of adhd which was wonderful finally knowing what may be wrong. He started medication and his school improved, his listening improved and everything was great for awhile. It seemed to stop working and after multiple changes in dose strength and different medications we were advised to take him off all medication ( he wasnt sleeping, acted like a zombie and had allot of more issues). That seemed to work as well for a few months but now its starting to get out of hand. We caught him the other day after it was bed time playing in his room he said the toys accidentally fell onto his bed, same thing with him reading books till 12am said that it fell into his bed and he was putting it away then called us names and said we wouldnt believe him even if there was proof, the other night we caught him watching tv in his room.....same thing screemed for hours about how he wasnt watching tv and that we never believe him that his hand hit the remote and turned the tv on at 12pm. He gets so upset no matter how we try and talk to him that im almost uncomftorable having my wife do it by herself hes a big kid almost as tall as her and 120 pounds. He said that he hopes the cops show up due to him screaming so he can tell them we do drugs all day of course which we do not. He says that he hates us and wishes we were not his parents, that he gets treated like trash, that we dont love him, that he wishes we were not here, also caught him crawling on the floor trying to sneak into his brothers bedroom one night then he screamed for hours again saying it was not him. Sometimes im almost scared to go to sleep with him in the house at night as bad as that sounds. He sometimes talks to himself in the dark and when we was around 8 we caught him down stairs in the middle of the night with a lighter talking to some one in a dark empty room. Schools are no help, doctors are no help and say hes normal......but this is not normal. Sorry for the long long post but hoping maybe somebody may have some helpful idea. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 04:43 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,943,081 times
When he was diagnosed with ADHD, was he diagnosed by a psychiatrist? I don't know how much things have changed, but back in the day when my son was diagnosed with ADHD, it was a psychiatrist that had to give the prescriptions.

That's where I would start. Talk to the psychiatrist.

It's possible that puberty is 'happening' and making for some crazy whacked out hormones, but it could be something else, and I think your son needs a mental evaluation to get a handle on what's going on.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:44 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,836,731 times
Have you tried a pediatric counselor instead of a pediatrician? I have a friend with a son who was diagnosed ADHD, and understand how difficult kids with that disorder can be. But I think you need to look further for help. And I wish you luck, my friend's son is now functioning fine as an adult.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:34 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,525,270 times
I would definitely consult with a child psychiatrist if he were my son. You have been unable to help him on your own, and the situation has advanced to you having justifiable fear of him. Please get help before something worse happens. Best wishes for you and your family.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
When he was diagnosed with ADHD, was he diagnosed by a psychiatrist? I don't know how much things have changed, but back in the day when my son was diagnosed with ADHD, it was a psychiatrist that had to give the prescriptions.

That's where I would start. Talk to the psychiatrist.

It's possible that puberty is 'happening' and making for some crazy whacked out hormones, but it could be something else, and I think your son needs a mental evaluation to get a handle on what's going on.
He was diagnosed by our family doctor. Must be different where I live I guess. I think we will definitely have to try a psychiatrist for him. The thing is the school has people there to help with this kind of thing but they say he's normal and without the school psych person saying he may need something the doctors won't do anymore for him. It's a weird system here in Canada it seems.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Have you tried a pediatric counselor instead of a pediatrician? I have a friend with a son who was diagnosed ADHD, and understand how difficult kids with that disorder can be. But I think you need to look further for help. And I wish you luck, my friend's son is now functioning fine as an adult.
No we have not. We are looking right now for some kind of help and going through our possibilitys. That's good to hear. I had a friend with severe ADHD and he is normal functioning now as a adult as well but I think we need a diagnosis first. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I would definitely consult with a child psychiatrist if he were my son. You have been unable to help him on your own, and the situation has advanced to you having justifiable fear of him. Please get help before something worse happens. Best wishes for you and your family.
That's basically where we are going now I think. After talking to many parrents it's just not normal behavior and nothing we do seems to do help. Thank you everyone for your advice. I was hoping someone would say my kid was like that and grew out of it but that was just me trying to be positive about how he was I guess. Thanks again everyone.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,943,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill dotre View Post
He was diagnosed by our family doctor. Must be different where I live I guess. I think we will definitely have to try a psychiatrist for him. The thing is the school has people there to help with this kind of thing but they say he's normal and without the school psych person saying he may need something the doctors won't do anymore for him. It's a weird system here in Canada it seems.

Man...I had a whole response written out, and then I saw where you said you're from Canada. lol

I'm sorry, I know nothing about Canadian medical issues.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:02 AM

7,163 posts, read 3,973,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill dotre View Post
he was putting it away then called us names and said we wouldnt believe him even if there was proof,

the other night we caught him watching tv in his room.....same thing screemed for hours about how he wasn't watching tv and that we never believe him that his hand hit the remote and turned the tv on at 12pm.

He gets so upset no matter how we try and talk to him that I'm almost uncomfortable having my wife do it by herself he's a big kid almost as tall as her and 120 pounds.

He said that he hopes the cops show up due to him screaming so he can tell them we do drugs all day of course which we do not.

He says that he hates us and wishes we were not his parents, that he gets treated like trash, that we don't love him,

that he wishes we were not here,

also caught him crawling on the floor trying to sneak into his brothers bedroom one night then he screamed for hours again saying it was not him.

Sometimes Im almost scared to go to sleep with him in the house at night as bad as that sounds.

He sometimes talks to himself in the dark and when we was around 8 we caught him down stairs in the middle of the night with a lighter talking to some one in a dark empty room.

Schools are no help, doctors are no help and say he's normal......but this is not normal.

Sorry for the long long post but hoping maybe somebody may have some helpful idea. Thanks everyone.
My sister-in-law is bipolar with hallucinations. She accused her parents of having FBI to record her phone conversations. She also spoke to people who weren't there.

Your son is seriously ill. He could be bipolar or a psychopath. He needs help.

I am sorry.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:39 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,011,863 times
I'm so sorry OP!

Keep reaching out to all the resources you can, parents groups, the school, doctors, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting