Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 11:14 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
If it's not about sex, let her sleep on the couch or let him sleep over at her house.
Well I mean I think they’re going to have sex regardless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 11:38 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

People always say this, but it really isn't always the case.

Teens have hormones, sure, but they aren't ALL uncontrollable horndogs. Quite a few of them are actually conflicted when it comes down to having sex with their boyfriend/girlfriend.

IMHO, allowing sleepovers removes obstacles that exist for very good reason, and gives kids a green light when they often would be relieved to see a red light.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:43 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Teenagers not having sex would be really, really weird, so if you decide to allow the sleep-over, make sure you talk to both of them about birth control, and provide a supply of condoms.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:47 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Teenagers not having sex would be really, really weird, so if you decide to allow the sleep-over, make sure you talk to both of them about birth control, and provide a supply of condoms.
I don’t think it’s that weird. I didn’t have sex until 22 and so did a lot of my friends. I think a lot more teens are actually not having sex then are… At least in my day. Maybe it’s different now

Old 07-24-2020, 11:52 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
I don’t think it’s that weird. I didn’t have sex until 22 and so did a lot of my friends. I think a lot more teens are actually not having sex then are… At least in my day. Maybe it’s different now

Well, in my day, every guy was getting laid every weekend....twice on Saturday....and every girl was a virgin.

Funny that.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:16 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Quote:
If you are old enough to sleep over and have sex with a BF or GF, you're old enough for one of you to have your own place. Otherwise, what's wrong with having sleepovers and sex at home at 14 or 15 or 16?

Regarding the law, it probably varies by state. "For example, in New Jersey, having sex with an underage person is sexual assault only if the actor is four or more years older. Thus, a 22-year-old who has intercourse with a 15-year-old commits a felony, but an 18-year-old who does the same thing does nothing unlawful."

Old 07-24-2020, 12:24 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
If you are old enough to sleep over and have sex with a BF or GF, you're old enough for one of you to have your own place. Otherwise, what's wrong with having sleepovers and sex at home at 14 or 15 or 16?
Because 18 is an adult. Seventeen? I guess that depends on which side of 17 your on.
Anyway thats only my opinion. If one is an adult at 18, one is an adult period. Now if your objection is because of legal binding marriage or promise of such thats a different story.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:29 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
I don't think you are an adult if you are hooking up in a bedroom in your parents house. You are still a child and being treated as one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Because 18 is an adult. Seventeen? I guess that depends on which side of 17 your on.
Anyway thats only my opinion. If one is an adult at 18, one is an adult period. Now if your objection is because of legal binding marriage or promise of such thats a different story.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:37 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Yes my husband will be having THAT conversation with him. Truthfully if it were my kid, boy or girl, I would not allow it ... but my husband says he’d rather have her sleep here than him sleep there.

As its my husband’s son, I’m letting him decide what he thinks is best ... I was just wondering what u all thought. My parents did not allow it.
my parents did not either. And so I had sex at the most creative spaces. We were too tall for a lot of car sex so we did it everywhere else where we could be undisturbed for a few minutes.

If they are at your house at least you know where they are and they are somewhat under control. I am not sure what happens if they get spotted by cops if they are somewhere in public.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:39 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I probably would, but it would depend on the son, his maturity and responsibility, etc. I mean if they are already sexually active they will probably be having sex, whether she spends the night or not. I'd probably view the sleeping over simply as a way to keep the young lady from having to make a long drive too late at night. Separate rooms of course, probably put him in a public space, like the couch.
The couch would be good or a blow up mattress in my room lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
OTOH if he's an immature, irresponsible rutting hound dog, not so much, lol.
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
If they want to have sex they will have sex and there is nothing you can do. If you dont allow it in your house, they will do it in the car, in the bushes, in your backyard, at a friends house.

You have the power here to make sure they have a bed available and use birth control instead of creating a baby in the alley.
Agree. All they need is 5 minutes of alone time. The parent could be taking a shower while they sneak off for a quickie.

Quote:
Probably.

Quote:
Yes my husband will be having THAT conversation with him. Truthfully if it were my kid, boy or girl, I would not allow it ... but my husband says he’d rather have her sleep here than him sleep there.

As its my husband’s son, I’m letting him decide what he thinks is best ... I was just wondering what u all thought. My parents did not allow it.
Your hub should explain to him that even if the girl is on the pill that he needs to bag it anyway because there are girls that like to forget to take it, they end up getting pregnant for whatever reason. Girls have done this forever, getting pregnant because the guy was going to break up with her or whatever.

I also had a talk with my son about girls that like to put holes in condoms for the same reason.

My son always made sure he had condoms and that the girl didn't know where he kept them. He's 35 now, has not had any surprises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting