Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 12:42 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
People always say this, but it really isn't always the case.

Teens have hormones, sure, but they aren't ALL uncontrollable horndogs. Quite a few of them are actually conflicted when it comes down to having sex with their boyfriend/girlfriend.

IMHO, allowing sleepovers removes obstacles that exist for very good reason, and gives kids a green light when they often would be relieved to see a red light.
The assumption I'm making is that this couple is already in an open sexual committed relationship that the parents are fully aware of. I wouldn't condone it for a couple that just started dating or are sexually inexperienced. But if they've been together a year-plus and all parties know each other well? I don't get the hangup.

I don't think young couples of college age should have to to sneak around or be forced to sleep apart just because their parents are squicked out by it.

Both my girls assured me that THEY were too squicked out to have sex with their BFs when I was in the same house with them, so there were never any awkward moments when an overnight happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 12:44 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I don't think you are an adult if you are hooking up in a bedroom in your parents house. You are still a child and being treated as one.
I have had lots of overnight guests, many of who were not married. I'm sure some have had sex in my house. I dont consider them a child for it.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
But when she was 16-18 and 20-24, her long term, out of town, BFs needed to sleep in the guest room.
I can understand 16, but I don't understand your reasoning for separating an adult couple at night while guests in your home. Not criticizing, just trying to understand the logic. Does it have something to do with an objection to premarital sex?

Old 07-24-2020, 12:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The assumption I'm making is that this couple is already in an open sexual committed relationship that the parents are fully aware of. I wouldn't condone it for a couple that just started dating or are sexually inexperienced. But if they've been together a year-plus and all parties know each other well? I don't get the hangup.

I don't think young couples of college age should have to to sneak around or be forced to sleep apart just because their parents are squicked out by it.

Both my girls assured me that THEY were too squicked out to have sex with their BFs when I was in the same house with them, so there were never any awkward moments when an overnight happened.
LOL. My sister would not have sex with her husband (even after 3 kids) in my parents house when they came to visit mom and dad.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
LOL. My sister would not have sex with her husband (even after 3 kids) in my parents house when they came to visit mom and dad.
Oh Lord, I never did either!

Old 07-24-2020, 01:03 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
I can understand 16, but I don't understand your reasoning for separating an adult couple at night while guests in your home. Not criticizing, just trying to understand the logic. Does it have something to do with an objection to premarital sex?
In our case, it was mostly because of my late husband's strong religious objections against premarital sex and also against abortion. Also, in the extended family there were several teenagers who got pregnant, dropped out of high school or college and ended up in disastrous marriages and severe financial difficulties. Once you have experienced a 15 year old male relative drop out of high school to marry his 16 year old GF (who also dropped out of high school) your perspective may change. The bride's mother and grandmother were both teenage mothers and just "assumed" that their daughter would also have sex and get pregnant very young. Mom allowed, even encouraged, "sleepovers" in her home.

Hubby and I were not stupid and knew that our children were sexually active but did not feel that we should encourage it. When our son lost his virginity at age 15 our daughter was only 11 years old and Hubby and I felt strongly that our daughter should not think that we condoned premarital sex. When our son was 18, and his college girl friend visited, she had to sleep in the guest room, in part because our daughter was only 14.

BTW, we did not separate adult couples only our children. In one case, we offered our friends (both in their late 20s, dating for a long time but unmarried) our guest room assuming that they were sexually active. We found out years later that they were NOT sexually active at that time and it was quite embarrassing for them (apparently the BF slept on the floor).

Quote:
In my house, you were not allowed to share a bedroom with a BF or GF until you are engaged or married.

However, now that our children are in their 30s, (and my extremely devote Catholic husband has passed away), that "rule" will be a lot more flexible (and will probably completely disappear).

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-24-2020 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: added section in blue.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:03 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
The OP said they've never met her.

Having different standards =/= a hangup.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I slept over at my girlfriend's house at age 19, she was 18. We both slept on the living room sofa bed, but her parents room was very close, and her father warned me that he had a shotgun. This was 1971. I behaved.

(We have been married now for 46 years)

Old 07-24-2020, 01:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Quote:
Oh Lord, I never did either!
My late husband and I never had sex either in my parents home or his parents home when we visited (even after being married for decades and having two kids). I have mentioned this to female friends and this is not unusual.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
In our case, it was mostly because of my late husband's strong religious objections against premarital sex and also against abortion. Also, in the extended family there were several teenagers who got pregnant, dropped out of high school or college and ended up in disastrous marriages and severe financial difficulties.

Hubby and I were not stupid and knew that our children were sexually active but did not feel that we should encourage it. When our son lost his virginity at age 15 our daughter was only 11 years old and Hubby and I felt strongly that our daughter should not think that we condoned premarital sex. When our son was 18, and his college girl friend visited, she had to sleep in the guest room, in part because our daughter was only 14.

BTW, we did not separate adult couples only our children. In one case, we offered our friends (both in their late 20s, dating for a long time but unmarried) our guest room assuming that they were sexually active. We found out years later that they were NOT sexually active at that time and it was quite embarrassing for them (apparently the BF slept on the floor).
Thanks for explaining, germaine. My children were not raised the same way. Not saying right or wrong, but premarital sex was never a prohibition in my home. Only dumb, immature decisions were.

I encouraged them to be open about when they were ready to have sex and with whom and I tried to guide them to make the right choices in a partner (and when I thought they were doing dumb things, they sure heard about it from me.)

I also bless the day they brought Nexplanon on the market!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting