Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 08:27 AM

374 posts, read 146,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr2 View Post
Someone, somewhere up the thread posited that nobody wants to hear about your children and what they are up to, but that is not my experience at all. My closest friends are mostly among the group of parents that shared the joys and difficulties of raising children at the same time as us and in the same school systems. We still (weekly) see many of them even though our kids are mostly out of the nests. We do a lot of things with them: hiking, exercise classes, parties, movies, etc. The #1 topic of conversation is around the many children we all raised as a group and where they are and what they are doing. My wife is better at it than I am, and I bet she could tell you where 30 different kids from this group are in the world and what they are doing, and she also probably has their contact info. on her phone.
This has been my experience as well. When the kids were young, we did all kinds of things with other families, camping, barbecues, beach days... and mothers especially were always giving and taking advice and dealing with issues together-sometimes painful and tragic-that arose through the years. You deal with the good and the bad--there's plenty of both. But the bad doesn't make it not worth being a parent. And for those who say no one cares about your kids? Well, I care about my friends' kids. What is friendship then if you don't care for anyone but yourself? Why bother with relationships at all? Geez. Some of you are COLD.

My family and friends loved and supported each other's children then and still do today.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:43 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,560 times
I believe that most emotionally-healthy people have a small circle of family and friends who genuinely do care, but most others are oblivious at best and openly hostile at worst. Covid-19 has revealed the fragility of many relationships, including some of my own. Isolation has narrowed my focus, bringing rediscovered joy and contentment in spending time with my family and a commitment to repairing broken or neglected relationships. This pandemic has reminded me of how much my family means to me.

Last edited by abbottkd71; 08-05-2020 at 08:52 AM..

Old 08-05-2020, 10:05 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Thread closed due to ongoing bickering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting