Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 09:16 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times

Advertisements

On second thought, the OP shouldn't be talking to an attorney. They ought to be talking to the parents and helping them find a family therapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 09:17 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
you need an actual legal agreement regarding what you will be obligated and responsible for, and what the biological parents will. That involves "parental" decision-making for the minor, as well as financial obligations.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:15 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1970 View Post
Hello, my wife and I want to have our 12-years old newphew come to stay with us for three years. We will take care him as our own child. His parents will have to move out of city for short period of time due to job related and he does not want to go. Based on this situation, what legal requirement do I need to pursue? Do I need to complete any free form and get notatized or the power of attorney for minor or do I have to get the lawyer involved? I am avoiding to spend any cost if possible. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Don't do it if you're wanting to "avoiding to spend any cost possible"...you're opening a can of worms unless you're willing to "take care of him as our own child"..and that includes monetarily as well as emotionally.(whether parents send money or not). It's gotta be that or nothing for it to work.

What have the boys parents offered to you to support their son for those three years?
Have they discussed this with you at all?

Old 08-26-2020, 09:21 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
We've cared for two children for other parents. One for 4 years, the other for 2.Both times until the parents regained stability in their lives. We received NO money or anything else for caring for these children, nor did we ask for it....thus, no problems.
We did it for the childs sake, nothing more....though it sounds to me in OP's situation its more about catering to a 12 year olds wants than his actual needs.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:22 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
temporary legal guardianship. Make sure that the school district will accept it. Make sure that he has health insurance. Have the parents fill out the one for your state, and get it notarized.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1970 View Post
Hello, my wife and I want to have our 12-years old newphew come to stay with us for three years. We will take care him as our own child. His parents will have to move out of city for short period of time due to job related and he does not want to go. Based on this situation, what legal requirement do I need to pursue? Do I need to complete any free form and get notatized or the power of attorney for minor or do I have to get the lawyer involved? I am avoiding to spend any cost if possible. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
So many Red Flags, so little time.

Hmmm, the parents have to move out of the city "for a short time" and they want you to raise their child for "three years" ???

And, this is all because the 12 year old "does not want to go" with his parents ???

And, you want to "avoid" spending any money, but "will care for him as your own child" ???

Maybe, this is a reasonable and logical solution, but it really does not sound like that from what you posted.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:44 PM

129 posts, read 79,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
A 12 year old already running the "show".

I'd definitely have an attorney looking over my shoulder in that position.
That’s a very difficult age to move away at. Stability during those years is important.
I didn’t have stability during middle and high school and it was exceptionally difficult for me because I had trouble fitting in being kinda nerdy and new all the time. I went to like 3 different middle schools and two different high schools and majority of the time I was miserable.

Just food for thought.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:55 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
So many Red Flags, so little time.

Hmmm, the parents have to move out of the city "for a short time" and they want you to raise their child for "three years" ???

And, this is all because the 12 year old "does not want to go" with his parents ???

And, you want to "avoid" spending any money, but "will care for him as your own child" ???

Maybe, this is a reasonable and logical solution, but it really does not sound like that from what you posted.
This could make sense if it's a temporary move for a job, or to care for one of their aging parents, etc. If he doesn't want to leave his school/friends (especially not temporarily) or something else important, it could make sense (for all we know, he's in a gifted-and-talented school he can't get there, or a special music school, or something; OP doesn't say).

Yes, all other things being equal, it seems a bit odd to me, but if the parents are okay with it and OP is willing to do it, why not?

I agree with everyone that talking to a lawyer is a good idea, though. As well as thinking about an planning for any contingency-- anything from how much free rein OP has to discipline the kid (and what's to be done if a really serious disciplinary problem comes up), to what happens if the parents have to stay longer than three years for some reason or something happens to OP and they can no longer host the kid.

Seriously, OP, I would get everything on paper and signed. People get really funny about their money and their kids, and I wouldn't want to take a chance on either if I had to take care of someone else's, so I'd try to eliminate as much possible liability as I could.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:19 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
I took care of a niece for 4 1/2 years. Technically, the school does not have to take just a power of attorney for enrollment. They will ask for the address of the legal guardians. We went through an attorney and it was definitely not cheap, but it was the right thing to do. However, the legal parent was out of country. A child is never going to end being cheap.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:04 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,362,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysthelimit89 View Post
That’s a very difficult age to move away at. Stability during those years is important.
I didn’t have stability during middle and high school and it was exceptionally difficult for me because I had trouble fitting in being kinda nerdy and new all the time. I went to like 3 different middle schools and two different high schools and majority of the time I was miserable.

Just food for thought.
You dont consider being raised by people other than your parents instability?
Lots of families relocate because of employment. This whole thing sounds.....WEIRD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting