Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2020, 11:26 AM

9 posts, read 6,715 times

Advertisements

if my parental rights were terminated in California, and my children are in gaurdianship, can i get my rights back? Their mother has not gotten them back as she told me was her plan and now it's been 5 years. I want to know if it's possible to get them back with me as I have a place for them to live and can support them. Please, any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 06:47 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Lawyer time

Old 08-27-2020, 07:18 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellelove99 View Post
if my parental rights were terminated in California, and my children are in gaurdianship, can i get my rights back? Their mother has not gotten them back as she told me was her plan and now it's been 5 years. I want to know if it's possible to get them back with me as I have a place for them to live and can support them. Please, any advice is appreciated.
Where were you five years ago when your rights were terminated? How long were they in the system before that and how did they end up there?

Old 08-27-2020, 07:26 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Instead of thinking about yourself, think whats best for those kids.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:15 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
If you've been out of your kids' lives for over five years, and your game plan was that their mother should try to get the kids back, I think that your children are far, far better off being left alone.

Yes, I know, if you are able to get the children back, it would open up a world of access to social welfare benefits for you, but it's likely impossible, what with your rights having been terminated five years ago. And if you were to disrupt your children's lives now, it would likely be a very damaging experience for them.

I knew a young man who was put into foster care with a wonderful family. He did very well - until about four years later, the biological parent tried to get him back. It was a horrible nightmare for the child. He wound up being adopted by the foster family, but the horrible stress of the two years of the biological parent trying to get him back, wound up being the likely cause of a miserable mental health condition that he developed from the stress and anxiety. He would have been FAR better off if he'd been left in peace with his new parents.

Do your kids a favor. Leave them alone.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:15 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
I'm confused. You appear to have a female name here, and you have kids but you're not the mother.

And the kids have been in foster care for 5 years but according to your other thread, you have kids in elementary school and you're interested in moving them all from California to Montana.

Are those the same children who are in foster care?

Old 09-01-2020, 06:16 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Yes it's possible.
Yes two adults of the same gender can be the legal parents.
Yes the courts review the guardians current financial preparedness and stability to provide.
The courts keep balance in what is best for the family unit. The parent is just as valuable as the children in regard . Children do not supercede the law in taking precedence. The adult has rights. Contact a family lawyer to receive proper advisal to move forward on petitioning the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting