Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 02:32 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times

Advertisements

I stayed at my parents place for a year. Got a PT, but eventually moved out when I found a "proper job". They didn't want me to pay rent because they knew if I could pay rent, I wouldn't be at home. I would've been out living in an apartment of my own. I helped out around the house with chores, and used the money from the PT to pay my cell phone bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 03:18 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Rent at low end is hardly trivial taking a goodly portion of earnings. And low end jobs arent most reliable, they tend to want you to be "on call", making a second or third job difficult. So you have no idea if you will get enough hours to make rent. This is why there is such a food problem, most of money has to go for rent.

And yea people arent taught either by parents or by school how to be fiscally responsible. Heck I am old man and I remember a REQUIRED assembly for seniors my last year high school. Had to listen to couple bankers tell us what a wonderful thing consumer debt was. No mention of savings or investing. I was not impressed even as kid back then such BS.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:23 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Food
Clothing
Shelter.
Beyond those basic survival needs, it's of little debate that residing in such with trustworthy folks is welcoming.

So long as those I care about are thriving in this surviving time...I'll continue to lend a helping hand to keep afloat. It's what my family does.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:50 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
We ain't seen nothin' yet.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:07 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
We lived 5 people - us, 2 children and paralyzed FIL - in 154 sf room. For several years. We took trips to wife's job office, after hrs, to, you know... as we were young and there was no way to do it at home. And that didn't bother us at all. That's called family life.
The thread is such a 1st world problem rant...
I am more curious, what will ya say next year, when SHTF real hard. As now, it's just a pretaste.
You all just slept in the same room? Was there a bathroom at least? Good thing no cameras caught you screwing in the office.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:38 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
More than half of young American adults are living with one or both of their parents.

Not since the beginning of World War II have there been so many young adults shacking up with their parents—and COVID-19 is to blame.
wrong...covid 19 is NOT to blame. The failing economy is to blame, and it was failing long before covid 19.
The blame lies with the government...they just want you to blame a virus...it's a perfect scapegoat for the corruption and mismanagement of your tax dollars by the government.

There's been many contagious virus's throughout history, yet people were never expected to kiss their jobs and livelihoods goodbye because of it... the fear mongering and propaganda that is broadcast daily (with no facts to back it up) is outrageous.

Try typing into google any 2 digit or 3digit or 4 digit number with the words newcases beside it...see what happens.
EVERY number you type in will show a result...I find that curious.

Old 09-10-2020, 03:05 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
Failing economy? Perhaps that's part.

I know plenty of perfectly good well-employed 20 and 30 somethings living at home instead of renting an apt....while at the same time, I know many - many - UNemployed college students using student loans to live in dorms at local universities.

I don't know the percents - and maybe the economy plays a role - but there are enough Poor Choices to enter the discussion.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:15 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
wrong...covid 19 is NOT to blame. The failing economy is to blame, and it was failing long before covid 19.
The blame lies with the government...they just want you to blame a virus...it's a perfect scapegoat for the corruption and mismanagement of your tax dollars by the government.

There's been many contagious virus's throughout history, yet people were never expected to kiss their jobs and livelihoods goodbye because of it... the fear mongering and propaganda that is broadcast daily (with no facts to back it up) is outrageous.

Try typing into google any 2 digit or 3digit or 4 digit number with the words newcases beside it...see what happens.
EVERY number you type in will show a result...I find that curious.
Put your tinfoil hat back on. And what the hell are you doing online? The gubmint will come and get you.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:46 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Put your tinfoil hat back on. .
Maybe you should take yours off, get real...and see the light.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:04 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
My brother was in town last week, talking about final retirement, and part of that would mean that his close to 30 year old daughter would have to be fully self sufficient before he did. "She's not like when we were kids where Dad pushed us out of the house at 18 and told us to make our way in the world.".

Now, throw an additional element into that. My high schoolish years had an underlying theme of independence to them. In junior high, I was taking the SSAT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second...Admission_Test ; for 9th grade, I was looking at being at a boarding school but we moved before that became a necessity. My high school time was loaded with applying for academies and scholarships, making myself qualified for them, so for many years, I was groomed to be out of the house soon after high school graduation.

When I was in my early 30s, my father asked me about my graduate work and it came down to how I was not asking him for college support. "I never really felt comfortable taking money from you.".

"Well, that is understandable," he said. "You had been out on your own, in the service, making your own decisions; I am sure it was unpleasant being somewhat under your father's thumb again." If only he knew what was a big motivator, driver to my independence....but that's another story.

When I became the sibling who was just an hour away, I needed that space for my life. I was willing to help my father and mother and then just my mother, but I didn't want to be right next door, subject to every beck and call. Interestingly enough, my mother had gone through similar with my father's mother, of how there was a house available down the street just from them, and mom was telling me how important it was for her family to be a little distant from the previous generation.

I suppose the long story short is having tasted independence, I don't want to give it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting