U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 08:59 AM

1,653 posts, read 529,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
See, this is what im talking about. Your post is a great example of delusion.

Its not ALL of the scientists and well educated people, its SOME of them.
Are you intentionally lying, or do you really not know this? And if you don't know this, that's scary. Because you are basing your entire life on a foundation that is not true.
Please do find me a REPUTABLE scientist saying that high-risk individuals (which is what we're really discussing here, not just normal, healthy people) should not exercise extra caution.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 12:16 PM

2,674 posts, read 884,020 times
I guess as parents it’s hard for some of us to understand not wanting to be around your own children or worrying this much about getting it from your children. If you are that worried I would probably say something like, listen I’d appreciate it if you tried limiting contact with people and don’t you dare go to any parties or get togethers and even think about coming home and risk giving to to me. Let her know you want to see her but she needs to be cautious.

I mean I worry a little every year that my kids are going to get a cold or the flu or a stomach bug because i don’t want to see them sick. Then yes it sucks when I get sick too. But this is what being a parent about is at times. Taking care of the sick kids you decided to have and yes you might get sick from them too. Corona is serious for many but it also isn’t cancer or tuberculosis. I pray my kids don’t get sick at school but I guess if I were that scared I’d homeschool them.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:37 PM

1,154 posts, read 213,836 times
Of course it’s hard not to be able to visit with your kids without a lot of planning and vigilance, but this is a pandemic not the typical creeping crud that works its way through the schools every year. I cringe at friends who allow their college-age children to just show up on the weekend and waltz right in the door without a care in the world. Recently, a college in my state quarantined all of its students because of a major outbreak, and many students just left campus and went home. I know everybody loves and misses their kids — I feel that way, too — but that’s just inexcusably irresponsible.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:45 PM

2,918 posts, read 1,515,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
Of course it’s hard not to be able to visit with your kids without a lot of planning and vigilance, but this is a pandemic not the typical creeping crud that works its way through the schools every year. I cringe at friends who allow their college-age children to just show up on the weekend and waltz right in the door without a care in the world. Recently, a college in my state quarantined all of its students because of a major outbreak, and many students just left campus and went home. I know everybody loves and misses their kids — I feel that way, too — but that’s just inexcusably irresponsible.
Didn't you already state that you would be taking the experimental vaccine once its available? For someone that hates risk of any kind you sure are inconsistent.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:58 AM

1,154 posts, read 213,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Didn't you already state that you would be taking the experimental vaccine once its available? For someone that hates risk of any kind you sure are inconsistent.
Not exactly. I have written that we should all be wearing masks, keeping our distance, and praying for an effective vaccine. I am not enrolled in any trials nor am I willing to participate in one, although I am very grateful to those who are.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:04 AM

263 posts, read 95,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Last March I worried about this too. So when my daughter came home to visit from college she left her shoes in the garage, showered and put on clean clothes.
My husband flies in and out each week for work and this is what he does too.
We've done this for 6 months. It's now a regular part of our lives.

My daughter comes home from college seeking comfort and safety in her own home so I would never turn her away esp during a pandemic. I would feel selfish. My husband travels for work each week, sleeping in hotels, dining out, and riding in Ubers. He too comes home without a quarantine period.
We're healthy, wear masks in public and wash up once home.
UPDATE. My husband tested positive today. He'll stay at a hotel for 10 days. The Dr says after that if his symptoms resolve and no fever for 24 hours, he can return home. Some of us here at home have preexisting conditions, so he'll stay at the hotel.

Real bummer because we all did so well for so long. My daughter moved home from college this year. She'll return to enjoy a normal college experience once Covid is under control.

My husband is masked except for with co workers. We don't know how/when he was exposed.
Today I have a sore throat and nose and ear congestion....My son has possible pink eye and my daugter is having ear, and balance issues. We've had no illness in our family for over a year ....

Old 01-26-2021, 08:08 AM

1,573 posts, read 589,563 times
We have been living a "mostly" normal life for the last year. I go to work, my husband goes to work. We wear our masks and wash our hands. My son plays with the neighborhood kids, I go to the grocery store. We have traveled (all driving locations) and have even gone to an amusement park. 3 Weeks ago my step son who works at a fast food place came home and told us he had no taste and smell. We took him the next day for a test, which was rapid and positive. We put him on the 3rd fl and delivered his food to his door and had no contact with him. 4 days later my husband got it. A day after that I got it.

We just lived in our plague ship for 2 weeks. It was like the flu for us. Glad I had it now so I dont have to feel the pressure of that unreliable vaccine. We managed to avoid it for a year and my kid got it at work. Oh well. My 6 year old probably had it A-symptomatic as well since we couldnt isolate from him

Old 01-26-2021, 01:39 PM

1,305 posts, read 610,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
We have been living a "mostly" normal life for the last year. I go to work, my husband goes to work. We wear our masks and wash our hands. My son plays with the neighborhood kids, I go to the grocery store. We have traveled (all driving locations) and have even gone to an amusement park. 3 Weeks ago my step son who works at a fast food place came home and told us he had no taste and smell. We took him the next day for a test, which was rapid and positive. We put him on the 3rd fl and delivered his food to his door and had no contact with him. 4 days later my husband got it. A day after that I got it.

We just lived in our plague ship for 2 weeks. It was like the flu for us. Glad I had it now so I dont have to feel the pressure of that unreliable vaccine. We managed to avoid it for a year and my kid got it at work. Oh well. My 6 year old probably had it A-symptomatic as well since we couldnt isolate from him
Thanks for your interesting story. Glad that everyone is doing well now.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:01 AM

263 posts, read 95,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post

I'm sorry you all ended up with it. At least you have a positive attitude about this.
Was the virus easier on the kids in your household? If kids aren't hit as hard, based on your family's experience are adults more at risk for complications/hospitalization? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:37 AM

1,573 posts, read 589,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
I'm sorry you all ended up with it. At least you have a positive attitude about this.
Was the virus easier on the kids in your household? If kids aren't hit as hard, based on your family's experience are adults more at risk for complications/hospitalization? Thanks for sharing your experience.
I am incredibly thankful that we had a milder version of it, the stuff on the news with entire families being hospitalized and some dying is very scary.

Me and my husband both have some additional risk factors, overweight and my husband has stage 2 liver fibrosis. He is on the short list for vaccination because of his liver.

We have 2 adults, a 16 year old and a 6 year old. My teens symptoms were very similar to ours. Headache, body aches, tiredness, cough, no taste and smell (though i didnt lose that completely). We felt pretty bad for about a week.

Funnily enough, we NEVER not once in all 3 of us got a fever. We "felt" feverish but our temps never went above normal. And we get our temps taken everywhere, work, school, shopping etc.

my 6 year old lived with us same as always. We made a point not to hug or kiss or share food or drinks but otherwise, he needed us to care for him and we couldnt isolate from him. I dont know if he had it or not as we didnt get him tested but he never got sick or anything. He did drink his emergen-c every day and take his vitamins so who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting