U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 12:23 AM

263 posts, read 95,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I am incredibly thankful that we had a milder version of it, the stuff on the news with entire families being hospitalized and some dying is very scary.

Me and my husband both have some additional risk factors, overweight and my husband has stage 2 liver fibrosis. He is on the short list for vaccination because of his liver.

We have 2 adults, a 16 year old and a 6 year old. My teens symptoms were very similar to ours. Headache, body aches, tiredness, cough, no taste and smell (though i didnt lose that completely). We felt pretty bad for about a week.

Funnily enough, we NEVER not once in all 3 of us got a fever. We "felt" feverish but our temps never went above normal. And we get our temps taken everywhere, work, school, shopping etc.

my 6 year old lived with us same as always. We made a point not to hug or kiss or share food or drinks but otherwise, he needed us to care for him and we couldnt isolate from him. I dont know if he had it or not as we didnt get him tested but he never got sick or anything. He did drink his emergen-c every day and take his vitamins so who knows.
Thanks for taking the time to write this. I feel better about it now. I've been mostly worried for my nine year old. But it sounds like kids aren't affected as badly. Your symptoms are the same as my husband's which is relieving because you feel you had a milder case.

I agree the TV stories about entire families being hospitalized are very scary. The inability to breathe and lung involvement is concerning. We have asthma, heart, vascular, pancreatic issues and more so I'm not sure how worried I should be. Thanks again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 02:41 PM

1,086 posts, read 292,781 times
My door has always been open to visitors, pre-Covid, now, and in the future. Life does what it wants to. There is no way I would deny any of us the pleasure of each others' company.
We saw both sons over the holidays, their spouses, and kiddos. I'm so glad we did. A friend of mine was not so fortunate. She did not visit her mother over Christmas, and, sadly, her mother died two weeks ago from a stroke.
We don't know what the future holds. All this fear and panic over "what if" is taking an immeasurable toll on society.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:01 PM

7,236 posts, read 3,423,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
My door has always been open to visitors, pre-Covid, now, and in the future. Life does what it wants to. There is no way I would deny any of us the pleasure of each others' company.
We saw both sons over the holidays, their spouses, and kiddos. I'm so glad we did. A friend of mine was not so fortunate. She did not visit her mother over Christmas, and, sadly, her mother died two weeks ago from a stroke.
We don't know what the future holds. All this fear and panic over "what if" is taking an immeasurable toll on society.
Amen!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2021, 07:55 PM

2,849 posts, read 515,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post

I’m like you, my kids and grandkids are always welcome here and it has taken a emotional toll on a lot of people especially kids and the elderly.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:59 PM

2,849 posts, read 515,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoSomething View Post
I have reasons why I exercise a high level of caution but they're not up for discussion. They're too personal and too specific and frankly, nothing that I really need validated. I'm not here seeking approval for my need to be concerned about this.

But, I understand that this is the internet, LOL. I welcome the different perspectives, for sure. But truthfully, I'm just here for the practical suggestions. You don't know all that's going on to cause me to ask my question, and so I can't judge anyone for making assumptions about why. But really, don't be sad. It's not paranoia on my part. I swear. I'm just trying to figure out how to make the best of the situation, and wondering what steps others may have taken in the same difficult circumstances.
I understand there are good reasons and it is your right to make that call, only you know your circumstances and reasons and like the rest of us, I can only speak for myself.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:54 PM
bu2

18,508 posts, read 9,011,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
We have been living a "mostly" normal life for the last year. I go to work, my husband goes to work. We wear our masks and wash our hands. My son plays with the neighborhood kids, I go to the grocery store. We have traveled (all driving locations) and have even gone to an amusement park. 3 Weeks ago my step son who works at a fast food place came home and told us he had no taste and smell. We took him the next day for a test, which was rapid and positive. We put him on the 3rd fl and delivered his food to his door and had no contact with him. 4 days later my husband got it. A day after that I got it.

We just lived in our plague ship for 2 weeks. It was like the flu for us. Glad I had it now so I dont have to feel the pressure of that unreliable vaccine. We managed to avoid it for a year and my kid got it at work. Oh well. My 6 year old probably had it A-symptomatic as well since we couldnt isolate from him
Our son got it at college. He had the symptoms there and was all online anyway so we had him come home where he tested positive. We sent him immediately when he drove in to the basement which has a different ventilation system and a separate door. And we wore masks and shields when taking him food or when we needed to go down there for other reasons and tried to minimize our time down there. He had pretty bad flue like symptoms the 3rd and 4th day and didn't feel like doing anything but laying in bed. We had the oxygen device for his thumb and it never got bad. But by the 6th day he was feeling normal and 7th or 8th day he got his taste back. We kept him in quarantine for the 10 days from the positive test. None of the rest of us got it.

He actually had worse symptoms than the many other college students he knew who got it. With most, it was more like a minor cold.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

736 posts, read 267,671 times
There's definitely more risk getting it from a family member than from a stranger. Two friends of mine (different families) recently got it from their family members. In the one family, one of the family members died, the other was hospitalized. In the other family, one family member gave it to another family member who was forced to quarantine from her job for a month. There is one elderly person who hasn't gotten it (yet). Other friends of mine did not see their kids at the holidays due to the virus.

I have to wonder about people who think it's okay to go without a mask "because they're family". It sounds like they have a false sense of comfort that their "family" isn't going to give it to them, when that isn't logically true at all. Family is where most people are getting it.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM

10,062 posts, read 6,171,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I have to wonder about people who think it's okay to go without a mask "because they're family". It sounds like they have a false sense of comfort that their "family" isn't going to give it to them, when that isn't logically true at all. Family is where most people are getting it.
I don't think it's that so much. Speaking of my own family, we continue to get together (three generations in two households) because living without being able to see your close family members is not really living. Of course we know that we could potentially get Covid from one another, we're not immune because we are related, but we consider it worth the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting