Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 04:43 PM

157 posts, read 91,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
This thread is really sad and depressing. It's one thing for people to be paranoid and deluded enough and ruin their own lives. It's quite another to impose paranoia and delusion on one's children.
I have reasons why I exercise a high level of caution but they're not up for discussion. They're too personal and too specific and frankly, nothing that I really need validated. I'm not here seeking approval for my need to be concerned about this.

But, I understand that this is the internet, LOL. I welcome the different perspectives, for sure. But truthfully, I'm just here for the practical suggestions. You don't know all that's going on to cause me to ask my question, and so I can't judge anyone for making assumptions about why. But really, don't be sad. It's not paranoia on my part. I swear. I'm just trying to figure out how to make the best of the situation, and wondering what steps others may have taken in the same difficult circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 05:34 PM

1,154 posts, read 364,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoSomething View Post
I have reasons why I exercise a high level of caution but they're not up for discussion. They're too personal and too specific and frankly, nothing that I really need validated. I'm not here seeking approval for my need to be concerned about this.

But, I understand that this is the internet, LOL. I welcome the different perspectives, for sure. But truthfully, I'm just here for the practical suggestions. You don't know all that's going on to cause me to ask my question, and so I can't judge anyone for making assumptions about why. But really, don't be sad. It's not paranoia on my part. I swear. I'm just trying to figure out how to make the best of the situation, and wondering what steps others may have taken in the same difficult circumstances.
My college students chose to do this semester remotely from our house, and my youngest will probably do next semester the same way. My eldest is an engineering student in her last year of school and will need to be on campus to finish her senior project next semester. At this point, we are looking for a single-occupancy apartment for her, so she can isolate as much as possible while finishing her degree. Her previous living arrangements included three roommates in three different colleges and therefore too many possible avenues of exposure. Once she moves back to school in January, she will not come home for any visits and will isolate and test before she sees us again after graduating. I won’t kid you, I’m actually dreading it, as we are a very close family, and I will miss her terribly. We will likely spend a ridiculous amount of time on Zoom.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:36 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,939,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoSomething View Post

Believe me, I understand. You have been deluded into believing that it's a good idea to restrict your relationship with your own children in order to avoid catching a mostly nonexistent mild flu.
It's very sad.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:51 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,219,916 times
Quote:
This thread is really sad and depressing. It's one thing for people to be paranoid and deluded enough and ruin their own lives. It's quite another to impose paranoia and delusion on one's children.
+1.

I had open heart recently and I would never not see my family.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:45 PM

1,154 posts, read 364,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

I had open heart recently and I would never not see my family.
We managed to see my father, who is in CHF, when he had surgery a couple of months ago. He was in pretty bad shape, and we protected him by isolating for a week and then having COVID tests before we departed. We drove straight through and isolated at a freestanding Airbnb while we were there. We also used masks when we were together. It was not an easy trip but I have no regrets. It was well worth the effort to spend time with him.

Last edited by abbottkd71; 09-11-2020 at 08:57 PM..

Old 09-12-2020, 03:15 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,997,398 times
Quote:
Believe me, I understand. You have been deluded into believing that it's a good idea to restrict your relationship with your own children in order to avoid catching a mostly nonexistent mild flu.
It's very sad.
Well, someone is deluded. You must be smarter than all the scientists and other well educated people.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:37 AM

4,848 posts, read 3,283,778 times
I miss my daughter very much, she misses me and her dad and being home for a time to relax. As her mom I notice she needs rest/vacation from very busy college life. With the C was no flights home allowed so she stayed in USA. So no summer trip home this year. I am high risk patient CHF PH etc. and already lived quiet life, homebound.
I would have preferred her to come home this summer so we could be happy together.

Last edited by Nerys52SoSilver; 09-12-2020 at 04:00 AM..

Old 09-12-2020, 09:15 AM

9,806 posts, read 7,627,892 times
My daughter and her fiance work for the university and live in an apartment in the campus town. My husband and I have a retail store and work with the public every day. At first we stayed away from each other, not knowing how contagious it could be, but probably since May/June, they've been coming over a couple of times a month.

We just don't slobber over each other. We all wear masks when we are out working, keep social distancing and wash hands. We're not afraid of each other and act normal when they come over.

In our area, it's less than 2% of the population that have gotten the virus. 98% of us haven't. If I knew we had been exposed, we would take more precautions. But right now, we'll follow guidelines at work and then relax at home.

Also, we went to visit family out of state when my youngest grandson was born this summer, I took care of all the siblings while mommy was in the hospital. And I got to hold the new baby. Life goes on, everything turned out fine, no one got sick.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:01 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,939,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Well, someone is deluded. You must be smarter than all the scientists and other well educated people.
See, this is what im talking about. Your post is a great example of delusion.

Its not ALL of the scientists and well educated people, its SOME of them.
Are you intentionally lying, or do you really not know this? And if you don't know this, that's scary. Because you are basing your entire life on a foundation that is not true.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:19 AM

254 posts, read 279,887 times
It is hard with collage age kids because I think they crave their independence, but the news is full of stories about college kids behaving like college kids and COVID 19 cases are rapidly rising in every college town. We've been erring on the side of caution because my FIL is very high risk and we don't want to be the one that passes it along to him. My son has been staying with them since his dorms closed abruptly last spring since they live near his college campus. He chose to cancel his Spring Break plans last minute since it looked like travel restrictions might make returning difficult, so he hasn't been home since January. My in-laws have a very mixed age social bubble that revolves around their parish which he's enjoying being a part of and isn't interested in moving back home. He and his high school friends all discord, which works well with social distancing. He's a very introverted kid too.

Since he's at his grandparents, we go out to see them and limit most other contact. We work from home and daughter is doing online high school. We do outdoor activities, but limit going into places to mostly grocery shopping. He'll probably come home after Christmas and not police his activities with his friends. Then we all will quarantine for a few days and rapid COVID 19 test and drive him back. It will be interesting to see how things progress this fall with campuses reopened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting