Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 12:21 PM

1,013 posts, read 725,475 times

Advertisements

You can’t always predict. My granddaughter has blonde hair (12 years old, So it may darken as she gets older). Her parents have brown hair and very, very dark brown hair. Brown haired parent is my son and he never had blond hair. No blondes in my or his dad’s family so the mom must have blondes somewhere in hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 01:36 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Or draw a Punnett square........

You can't draw a punnet square without knowing what hair color genes the parents are carrying and OP appears to not know that, or at least is not sharing that information.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer2020 View Post
So basically, it always ends up dark brown?
Nope.

Read up on the genetics of hair color here:

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/trait...0called%20MC1R.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:04 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Could be red, if each parent is carrying the recessive gene for red hair.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:00 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You can't draw a punnet square without knowing what hair color genes the parents are carrying and OP appears to not know that, or at least is not sharing that information.
Yep. I had one friend whose family was from Colombia. Her sister and parents all had olive skin tone and she had pale, redhead skin and dyed her hair red. I would not be surprised if she was born with very light hair. I have friends who have kids with light hair even though the parents both have brown hair. My sister has dirty blonde hair and her husband has brown hair and my nephew has very blond hair now. He looks a lot like my sister did at that age.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:33 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer2020 View Post
If one parent has blonde hair and one parent has black?
Genetically, the dice favor dark. But what difference does it make?

The only important thing about a child's hair is not to color it, as was done to Jon Benet, which would make a child think that their hair is somehow not good enough.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:53 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Or draw a Punnett square...
Punnett square only works on things that you have a 50% chance of passing on. Sex. Blood type etc.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:25 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I remember seeing an Asian woman walking ahead of me at the train station. She was holding hands with a little girl who had blond hair. I remember thinking, "Well, obviously, that's not her kid."

Then the child turned, and I saw her face. She most certainly was that woman's daughter. I was surprised.

My mother had nearly black hair and very dark eyes.

My father had blond hair and green eyes. Both my parents were caucasian.

Five of us had brown eyes and varying shades of brown hair, from my light brown to my brother's very dark hair.

The other two had blond hair and green eyes like my father.

My ex has blond hair and blue eyes. Our daughter has my brown eyes and his blond hair.

You won't know till the kid gets here.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:13 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Not necessarily. As someone said, coloring is complicated.
Two brunette parents, one with brown eyes one with green eyes.
Their children- one blonde with blue eyes, one brunette with blue eyes, one brunette with brown eyes, one redhead with grey eyes.
Trying to predict is pointless.
As an added bonus the color hair a child has at birth may not be the color they have even six months later in life. My mother said I was born with a head full of thick black hair, it didn't stay that way for very long at all.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:17 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Most likely the child will have dark hair since brown/black hair is dominant. You never really know though. I know a couple where the man is black and the wife is white with brown hair and their daughters have white/blonde hair with blue eyes. Seems pretty unusual.
Agree, most likely brown. My daughter has brown hair and dark brown eyes. Her ex is a light skin AA. My granddaughter looks white, she has hazel eyes and dark blond Shirley Temple curly hair. I'm the blond with gray blue eyes, pin straight hair. Her mother had curl in her hair. It's been so long since I've seen her let her hair dry naturally. My granddaughter even has freckles in the same place as me near my collar bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I have blond hair and my husband has dark brown. Our 2 boys had very light blond hair as children and now have dark brown hair as adults. Our daughter had light brown hair as a child and still has that color. (They are all in their 40's now.)
My male cousin (my mother is siblings with his father) and I have gray blue eyes, we were also born tow heads. When I was about 3, my hair turned a deep strawberry blond, then it turned gold by the time I was 4. In my 30's, it turned "root colored" brown, same thing happened to my cousin. Around age 53, I dyed my hair (it's to my waist) with the normal blond shade that I used (beige blond), it ended up having a red tint. Next time I dyed my hair a year later, I used a peroxide platinum blond dye that also turned red. My cousin has red in his beard, so does his brother. We know it came from our grandmother's side but I'm not sure which great grandparent it came from. I'll have to message him on Facebook to see if he knows. I never met our grandparents, he has. My parents immigrated to the US in the late 50's, all of my relatives are in Hungary.

My mother is a blond with hazel eyes. Her sister is also blond, I believe she has blue eyes. Her ex had brown hair and eyes. Her daughter ended up with curly brown hair and blue eyes that are not the same shade as mine and my cousins.

My son (35) also got my gray blue eyes but with dirty blond hair. So far his hair has not turned "root colored" brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah.. I got the Ginger gene from somewhere. We don't know alot about my mothers side, as she's adopted, however, two half-cousins also have red hair.. So, we assume it comes from somewhere on our Grandmothers' line.

My DNA results from 23andme even say "96% chance will NOT have red hair"

Buckin' the odds yet again.
Have you done your mothers DNA to see if you can find her family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting