Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 11:07 AM

95 posts, read 71,190 times

Advertisements

If one parent has blonde hair and one parent has black?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 11:09 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Just a second, let me check my tarot cards.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:10 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Most likely the child will have dark hair since brown/black hair is dominant. You never really know though. I know a couple where the man is black and the wife is white with brown hair and their daughters have white/blonde hair with blue eyes. Seems pretty unusual.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:15 AM

I mean on average..I would think light brown?

Old 09-11-2020, 11:20 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Yeah, it depends on how the genes play out since the genes for hair color are not binary. When one parent is very blonde and the other very dark, the kids are usually somewhere along a spectrum in the middle.

My brother-in-law is extremely blonde even as a middle-aged adult. We suspect he has a form of albinism. His wife is Romanian and has very dark brown, almost black, hair. Their daughter has light brown hair fading to blondish at the ends, and their son has solid medium brown hair.

Eye color genes tend to be more predictable. My niece and nephew both have dark brown eyes like their mom, not blue eyes like their dad. They must both have a recessive blue gene, but the gene that displays is the brown one.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:27 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
As a kid I knew two full sisters - one with pale skin, blue/blonde, and the other with olive skin brown/black. You'd have hardly known they were related, their colouring was so incredibly different. Their parents, as far as I remember, both had brown hair.

How we look is complicated, genetics-wise.

My husband is Scandinavian in heritage, and is blonde/blue (like his whole family). My family is mostly from Ireland and Scotland and I'm auburn/green. Our kid has the same colour hair as her dad's family, but my green eyes.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:32 AM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
I have blond hair and my husband has dark brown. Our 2 boys had very light blond hair as children and now have dark brown hair as adults. Our daughter had light brown hair as a child and still has that color. (They are all in their 40's now.)

Old 09-11-2020, 11:49 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
As a kid I knew two full sisters - one with pale skin, blue/blonde, and the other with olive skin brown/black. You'd have hardly known they were related, their colouring was so incredibly different. Their parents, as far as I remember, both had brown hair.
I know a family like that. Both parents are dark-haired, dark-eyed, olive-skinned. Two of their kids have the same coloring. The third has very pale skin and almost translucent blonde hair. She has the same facial features as the others, just a totally different coloring. I, and a doctor friend of mine who also knows this family, believe she has a form of albinism but we have never asked about that.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:48 PM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I know a family like that. Both parents are dark-haired, dark-eyed, olive-skinned. Two of their kids have the same coloring. The third has very pale skin and almost translucent blonde hair. She has the same facial features as the others, just a totally different coloring. I, and a doctor friend of mine who also knows this family, believe she has a form of albinism but we have never asked about that.
Maybe there is just a recessive blonde gene. One of my sisters was blonde up until junior high and turned very dark with hair and complexion. Her husband had light brown hair and green eyes and their son was blonde up until junior high. Now he is medium brown.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:55 PM

So basically, it always ends up dark brown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting