Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2020, 04:53 PM

668 posts, read 471,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No it's not! This is a public health issue! Some will let their kids go out, and infect who knows how many people? I don't get why some can't understand that.

Well with your quote above, then perhaps schools should be shut down /all virtual learning.
No Walmart.
No crowds/protests.

etc...

Oh wait...

Old 09-26-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Our neighborhood is doing "contactless" trick-or-treat. The plan is to set up folding/card tables at the end of our driveways, put a few pieces of candy in goody bags, spread the bags out on the table, and then kids can grab the goody bags. No interaction with the homeowners nor rifling through a bowl of candy and spreading germs. Those who don't want to participate (obviously) won't put out tables on their driveway and will keep their porch lights off. I think it's a fantastic plan and were my kids ToT age (they're too old now), I'd certainly let them partake. I will have a table with candy.

This is actually what i was considering doing too... i'll just refill the tables as candy runs out...

Old 09-26-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
NPR just did an article about the guidelines and put it on their FB page so people can comment. As you can imagine, the comments are similar to here. Some people there do seem a bit more amenable to thinking outside the box, however, and I came across this comment from a woman with a 9yo and 17yo "Lots of spooky decorations, flashlight tag, fire pit, candy hunt, and a movie. They can't wait! They actually love the idea of doing something different." There were also several similar comments. I think a lot of this "boo-hoo" stuff (no pun intended) is on the parents and not the kids, judging from some of the comments on here.

Last night, I read an article about how there are only 12-13 (I can't remember exactly) states where at least 50% of people are wearing masks. Do people really want to send their kids out to these unprotected people? (Of course, I can't find the article again!)

I am not old enough to remember the big polio epidemics of the 1950s, though I was alive then and got vaccinated in the first round. But one can read about how swimming pools and movie theaters were closed in the summers, because that was polio high season. Do you suppose people were upset about that, too? Doesn't sound like it.

I can almost GUARANTEE NJ AND NY arae among the 12-13 states.

We are very careful here. Which is why I'm going ahead with this.

Table at end of driveway, with little bags of candy. Or the halloween chips. I'll refill table as needed.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Well with your quote above, then perhaps schools should be shut down /all virtual learning.
No Walmart.
No crowds/protests.

etc...

Oh wait...
Well, snark aside ^^, the schools in my area have very detailed plans for how many adults kids can be in contact with in a day (4), etc. They have to take their temps before they arrive and fill out a form. Masking will be enforced. And, in-person school hasn't started yet. We'll see how it goes. Is anyone going to do that for the Trick or Treaters?

Walmart restricts customers to a certain number, requires customers to keep 6 feet apart, and in my community, wear a mask. Everyone is masked. Just how many people giving out candy do you think will mask?

I read that NJ allows 500 people in an outdoor activity. That's more than Colorado (75 I believe, don't feel like looking it up right now). Who's talking about protests? I have not expressed my opinion about protests. Anyone who attended a protest in Colorado can get a free Covid test. There's an acknowledged risk. https://patch.com/colorado/denver/if...gov-polis-says

Old 09-26-2020, 06:36 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Well, snark aside ^^, the schools in my area have very detailed plans for how many adults kids can be in contact with in a day (4), etc. They have to take their temps before they arrive and fill out a form. Masking will be enforced. And, in-person school hasn't started yet. We'll see how it goes. Is anyone going to do that for the Trick or Treaters?

Walmart restricts customers to a certain number, requires customers to keep 6 feet apart, and in my community, wear a mask. Everyone is masked. Just how many people giving out candy do you think will mask?

I read that NJ allows 500 people in an outdoor activity. That's more than Colorado (75 I believe, don't feel like looking it up right now). Who's talking about protests? I have not expressed my opinion about protests. Anyone who attended a protest in Colorado can get a free Covid test. There's an acknowledged risk. https://patch.com/colorado/denver/if...gov-polis-says
One of my kids is already back in school and she comes into contact with a lot of people each day inside of the building. That’s prolonged, indoor exposure.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Some schools here are back, some are remote.

Walmart may require customers to do that, but do you really believe they are?

Yes, 500 outdoors. I truly believe NJ has herd immunity at this point, since this has been going on and our cases are pretty low..... considering how populated our state is.....

Old 09-26-2020, 07:18 PM

524 posts, read 246,828 times
For Pete’s sake, those of us in the northeast have been cooped up since March, while the rest of the country carried on with business as usual. I don’t see how this is any less exposure than we already face with all of us now back at work and school. My plan is so as mentioned elsewhere in the thread: send treat bags down through a PVC pipe and leave out a jug of hand sanitizer.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Some schools here are back, some are remote.

Walmart may require customers to do that, but do you really believe they are?

Yes, 500 outdoors. I truly believe NJ has herd immunity at this point, since this has been going on and our cases are pretty low..... considering how populated our state is.....
Some of the schools here who went in-person have had to go remote d/t Covid cases. I posted some links.

Do I really believe Walmart customers are doing what? They're all wearing masks in my town. They keep track of how many are in the store and if there are too many, they won't let you in. Sometimes there's a line. Yes, pretty much customers stay 6' from others.

I seriously doubt you have herd immunity. Even Sweden doesn't have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat T[B
urd Collector;59258700]For Pete’s sake, those of us in the northeast have been cooped up since March, while the rest of the country carried on with business as usual. [/b]I don’t see how this is any less exposure than we already face with all of us now back at work and school. My plan is so as mentioned elsewhere in the thread: send treat bags down through a PVC pipe and leave out a jug of hand sanitizer.
Dunno where you got that idea. Heck, California went on lockdown before most of the other states. Many western states have had restrictions for some time, even Colorado with our libertarian leaning governor.
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/01/84741...tions-by-state

I swear, handwashing is the biggest "false sense of security" there is. Handwashing is important, along with everything else. Fomites are a secondary transmission source, at most.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:19 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Some of the schools here who went in-person have had to go remote d/t Covid cases. I posted some links.

Do I really believe Walmart customers are doing what? They're all wearing masks in my town. They keep track of how many are in the store and if there are too many, they won't let you in. Sometimes there's a line. Yes, pretty much customers stay 6' from others.

I seriously doubt you have herd immunity. Even Sweden doesn't have it.

Dunno where you got that idea. Heck, California went on lockdown before most of the other states. Many western states have had restrictions for some time, even Colorado with our libertarian leaning governor.
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/01/84741...tions-by-state

I swear, handwashing is the biggest "false sense of security" there is. Handwashing is important, along with everything else. Fomites are a secondary transmission source, at most.
Since fomites are a secondary source, touching the candy isn’t really a concern. Everything else can be done very safely since it’s an outdoor activity, plenty of room for distancing, etc. Most people are talking about leaving the candy out so very limited contact. Masks are also very much possible.

Old 09-27-2020, 03:49 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
I love the suggestion of the Halloween Scavenger Hunt. DD and son in law usually bring the grandkids to my little town to celebrate...we watch the Halloween parade on Main Street, and go Trick or Treating right afterward. No parade this year, but there will be Trick or Treating in the borough (although my grandsons won't be going). Instead, I'm going to their place for the weekend and we'll have our own fun at home. I have a big aluminum washtub that's perfect for bobbing for apples. We'll carve jack o lanterns, make homemade pizza, wear costumes, play games, and bake Halloween cookies. DD is going to supply lots of "healthy" treats...she always swaps their Trick or Treat candy for raisins, granola bars, dried fruit, fruit leather, and dark chocolate "truffles" sweetened with honey. We'll make the best of it, but I think it's going to be fun. They live out in the country, with a long, long driveway...so they never get any trick or treaters anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting