Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2020, 01:41 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
My city won't open schools, they strongly recommend against TOT'ing, but apparently it's A-OKAY to remove your mask and eat indoors. It blows my mind that the city will release a warning about the high risk of TOT, but they won't say boo about eating indoors. I'd bet 20% of diners are all from the same family unit. Most people are eating out with their friends, like normal, blithely spreading the disease willy-nilly.

As ever, my gripe with the response to the pandemic is that we've ignored the science that has FOR MONTHS from MULTIPLE COUNTRIES shown that children are a secondary vector, at best, while adults are the ones spreading the disease, ESPECIALLY through non-essential activities like restaurants, nail/hair, and gyms.

Yet we've treated super-spreading adults like spoiled brats who can't be asked to go without their hair/nails/restaurants for even 2 short months (let alone 7!), while leaning on (and damaging) children and youngsters for basically no reason. I can't fathom this anti-science approach. Even if you want to argue pure economics--we can't shut down adult activities because it will do too much economic harm--there's no reason to put our children through the ringer to knock off maybe 5% of the virus transmission.

I really think that all the restrictions on schools, TOT'ing, etc, are just so the politicians can pretend they're actually doing something, when--in fact--they're doing next-to-nothing to actually stop the spread.

If children could vote, or if parents could vote for their children, I bet the response would have been radically different.

All that said, I think Halloween is stupid and I wouldn't take my kids TOT'ing if they were still in-country. Even minor risk is too much risk for an experience they don't really care about, and will be pretty ****ty, anyway with most houses dark, and others just leaving out bowls of candy that will get raided dry early in the afternoon. "TOT'ing" just walking around and grabbing left-out candy sounds even dumber and more boring than walking around and showing off costumes to neighbors in exchange for candy.

The good part about Halloween is all the newer "non-traditional" stuff that is most definitely too dangerous; the big party the local church throws with food, candy, bounce houses, and face painting, the trunk-or-treats where they get to play with friends in costume while the parents catch up. Can't do those, so forget it. If they were here, we might do a spooky candy hunt in the back yard or something. Where they're at, there's not really much push for Halloween, though they are enjoying the Moon Festival right now.

I've gone out to eat and sat indoors twice. I live in the south so it's to hot to sit outdoors in the summer. The first place we were the only diners in our section (there were 8 tables and we were the only ones seated and we couldn't see over the booths because the walls separating were to high). We wore masks to/from table and while we waited for our drinks/food. That was Sunday at 11:30am.

The second place was again on a Sunday around 11:30 or so and the place had us and two other tables which were all socially distanced. We again wore masks until our food/drinks arrived.

I haven't heard of any cases of COVID spread in hair salons quite the opposite actually. Did you read about the two hairstylists in St. Loius that had COVID but didn't spread it to their 140 customers because of the masks they wore? https://www.today.com/health/missour...lients-t183982

Elementary PreK-3 open here 4 days a week in October. Gyms just reopened last month at 30% capacity.

You read about people complaining about hair salons and gyms because COVID has wrecked their businesses from staying closed.

TorT can be done safely. People can sit at the end of their driveways with candy on a table 6 feet away and talk to the ones that come up. It can be done safely. It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.

Old 10-02-2020, 02:43 PM

668 posts, read 471,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I've gone out to eat and sat indoors twice. I live in the south so it's to hot to sit outdoors in the summer. The first place we were the only diners in our section (there were 8 tables and we were the only ones seated and we couldn't see over the booths because the walls separating were to high). We wore masks to/from table and while we waited for our drinks/food. That was Sunday at 11:30am.

The second place was again on a Sunday around 11:30 or so and the place had us and two other tables which were all socially distanced. We again wore masks until our food/drinks arrived.

I haven't heard of any cases of COVID spread in hair salons quite the opposite actually. Did you read about the two hairstylists in St. Loius that had COVID but didn't spread it to their 140 customers because of the masks they wore? https://www.today.com/health/missour...lients-t183982

Elementary PreK-3 open here 4 days a week in October. Gyms just reopened last month at 30% capacity.

You read about people complaining about hair salons and gyms because COVID has wrecked their businesses from staying closed.

TorT can be done safely. People can sit at the end of their driveways with candy on a table 6 feet away and talk to the ones that come up. It can be done safely. It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.

Yes, (the bolded part)!!!

We went to eat indoors (just opened around here not too long ago), it was a really nice weather day and everyone chose to eat outdoors. So our party was the only one INSIDE the restaurant! Which was really great!!!

Old 10-02-2020, 05:24 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Does the person you ate with live with you?

Quote:
Same question as above. How many were at the other 2 tables? Did they appear to be members of the same household?

Quote:
Anecdotal. Need a contact-tracing study of thousands of hairdressers in order to make a determination. Indoor activities clearly drive COVID. I would certainly send my kids TOT'ing (moot) before I'd send them to a hairdresser.

Quote:

I'm glad your elementary schools opened for some in-class instruction.

No arguments here. I think TOT'ing is safer than ALL approved indoor adult activities. I'm more likely to pick up/spread COVID from ONE 10 hour workday with my adult coworkers, even masked, than children are from TOT'ing outdoors for two hours.

Quote:
We went to eat indoors (just opened around here not too long ago), it was a really nice weather day and everyone chose to eat outdoors. So our party was the only one INSIDE the restaurant! Which was really great!!!
Did you sit only with members of your household? Did every other party inside and outside the restaurant?

In my town, the downtown street has been converted into outdoor dining areas to comply with COVID regulations. While the tables are probably 6' apart, they are PACKED with people. I'm talking up-to-12-tops of adults, who are clearly not in the same family. I walk the downtown often, and seen this same situation on weekends and weekdays. Last Saturday, I passed a 50's diner with outdoor seating where two elderly men (at different tables) were both coughing they were trying to hack up a lung. Yikes!

While COVID spread is down from the peak in my area, it still is continuing to spread at a pretty good clip; 500 to 800 people contract it every day (estimating from the true case count) and the decline in cases has pretty much flattened out.

I'll tell you where those cases aren't coming from:
TOT'ing (hasn't happened yet), Schools (closed), playgrounds (just opened)

Old 10-02-2020, 05:43 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:

Same question as above. How many were at the other 2 tables? Did they appear to be members of the same household?

Anecdotal. Need a contact-tracing study of thousands of hairdressers in order to make a determination. Indoor activities clearly drive COVID. I would certainly send my kids TOT'ing (moot) before I'd send them to a hairdresser.

No arguments here. I think TOT'ing is safer than ALL approved indoor adult activities. I'm more likely to pick up/spread COVID from ONE 10 hour workday with my adult coworkers, even masked, than children are from TOT'ing outdoors for two hours.

Did you sit only with members of your household? Did every other party inside and outside the restaurant?

In my town, the downtown street has been converted into outdoor dining areas to comply with COVID regulations. While the tables are probably 6' apart, they are PACKED with people. I'm talking up-to-12-tops of adults, who are clearly not in the same family. I walk the downtown often, and seen this same situation on weekends and weekdays. Last Saturday, I passed a 50's diner with outdoor seating where two elderly men (at different tables) were both coughing they were trying to hack up a lung. Yikes!

While COVID spread is down from the peak in my area, it still is continuing to spread at a pretty good clip; 500 to 800 people contract it every day (estimating from the true case count) and the decline in cases has pretty much flattened out.

No. 2 of the people with us are family, but do not live with us. They were with us both times.

Did you read the article about the hairdressers? There were a total of 460 people that were in and out of the shop. Every single one tested negative including other hairdressers that worked with the two that tested positive. They were all masked, socially distanced and staggered appointments.

I've also gotten my haircut while both of us wore masks, but my hair lady comes to my house.

I think there were 4/5 people at one table and maybe 3 at another table but the tables were socially distanced as well.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

In many parts of the country, schools are open. My district just opened this week for K-2, 2 days a week. Some schools in metro Denver have been open for some time now 5 days a week. Some schools have opened, then had to close d/t Covid. In any event, cases among kids have been increasing as schools have been reopening. It is thought that cases in adults will increase as well, as kids transmit the disease they caught in school to parents/grandparents. Playgrounds have been open here for a few months now.
https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2...ildren_ap.html
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...schools-reopen
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...-cases-us-kids

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-02-2020 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-02-2020, 06:12 PM

7,997 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Folks,

PLEASE, no more posts about the President and wife having covid. Tune into your local news, instead, but please don't de-rail the thread!

Thanks,
~June

Old 10-02-2020, 08:01 PM

^^Sorry. It got carried away. I participated.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:03 PM

Here's what Colorado's esteemed governor had to say about T or T today:
https://www.9news.com/article/news/h...62RfzMTZFb8X1k
"Polis also addressed upcoming Halloween celebrations in Colorado, saying he encouraged families to trick-or-treat in small groups or consider hosting an at-home celebration.

"If you're going to trick-or-treat, do it with family," Polis said, adding that masks should be worn at all times and candy should be eaten at home. "A lot of families are going to hide candy around the house and yard and will have a candy hunt." "

Old 10-03-2020, 06:10 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
My city won't open schools, they strongly recommend against TOT'ing, but apparently it's A-OKAY to remove your mask and eat indoors. It blows my mind that the city will release a warning about the high risk of TOT, but they won't say boo about eating indoors. I'd bet 20% of diners are all from the same family unit. Most people are eating out with their friends, like normal, blithely spreading the disease willy-nilly.
People always got sick since time immemorial. It was something we accepted as part of being human. Heck, animals get sick too. So do plants. And now, "they" wrecked the economy and shut everything down over a glorified cold virus, whose symptoms don't even occur in some people (asymptomatic). And yet, big box stores with political clout were allowed to remain open.

This raises the question: Does anybody get regular-sick anymore, or is everything Covid nowadays?

Old 10-03-2020, 07:45 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Here's what Colorado's esteemed governor had to say about T or T today:
https://www.9news.com/article/news/h...62RfzMTZFb8X1k
"Polis also addressed upcoming Halloween celebrations in Colorado, saying he encouraged families to trick-or-treat in small groups or consider hosting an at-home celebration.

"If you're going to trick-or-treat, do it with family," Polis said, adding that masks should be worn at all times and candy should be eaten at home. "A lot of families are going to hide candy around the house and yard and will have a candy hunt." "
So he’s describing exactly what we’re doing. Trick or treating with family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting