Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2020, 06:08 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I only remembered how many friends you walked with because you dug up old posts of mine from March and I clicked on one of them and looked at the conversation. I don’t know why me mentioning walks with friends makes you so upset. I really don’t care if you do that. In fact, I think it’s a healthy, worthwhile activity. Never said you violated the law or an EO either. Just saying, if you do that you may want to allow kids to basically do the same.

I do hate mask mandates and find the science surrounding masks to be very questionable and mixed. Apparently the leaders of places like Denmark share my view. In spite of that, I always wear my mask when out. I’ve followed the rules even though I don’t agree with all of them. I advocated for schools to reopen and think they should be more open. Kids mental health matters very much too. I’ve never hidden my views in regards to these things and in fact have even quite outspoken and have no idea what your point is in bringing them up in this thread.
You have been talking about my walking for months.

Denmark? Denmark has been recommending masking since early July. https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...urb-virus.html
A few days later, our Libertarian-leaning governor said he found that a mask mandate increased compliance by 15% and issued his own order.
https://www.cpr.org/2020/07/16/color...ce-mask-order/
"Up until now, Polis had stuck with the trusting citizens and business approach, as well as leaving it to local elected officials to decide. The data is what changed his mind.

“The two areas that convinced me that this would work is looking at the impact that mask ordinances have had, increasing mask-wearing 15 percent over areas that have not had those ordinances."

If you don't think Polis is a libertarian, you need to read this: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...orado-n1193681
"While in Congress, he (Polis) was the only Democratic member of the House Liberty Caucus, a small group of libertarian lawmakers founded by Rep. Justin Amash, I-Mich., who left the Republican Party last year."

The science for masks is solid if you understand it. They're not perfect, nothing is. You have used this "mental health" excuse as a reason to oppose masks, to call for the reopening of the economy, and for allowing D to D trick or treat. It's just an excuse.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:49 AM

24,244 posts, read 10,556,999 times
Halloween is our anniversary. The decision on who got tricked and who got treated is still out.

The neighborhood decorates and will trick or treat. We will have enough plus candy and only what SO likes aka the good stuff plus a basket of beer and tiny bottles of wine.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:55 AM

14,263 posts, read 11,573,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OK, time for a change of subject. Taking a cue from another thread, how many people personally know anyone who has had Covid? I'll go first.
Maybe this is a topic for a new thread rather than the Halloween thread?

Old 10-11-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Maybe this is a topic for a new thread rather than the Halloween thread?
So start one. The mod left it up. It does tie in to the topic. If you know someone who's had Covid, you may be more cautious. Just today, on my WALK, I found out my friend's brother and his wife have it, probably contracted at an OUTDOOR funeral.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:03 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,933,632 times
Quote:
OK, time for a change of subject. Taking a cue from another thread, how many people personally know anyone who has had Covid? I'll go first.

I know four. In order of age/severity of illness:
1. My niece, age 19. Works in retail. Lives/works in a college town that saw a huge upswing in cases when the students came back. Not hospitalized. Seemed pretty good when I saw her through her apt. window when I brought her some supplies. (Being 19, she did not have a thermometer or a pulse ox.)

2. Friend's son, age 31. Works in law enforcement. Was quite sick, but not hospitalized. Better now.

3. Neighbor, age 65-70 (young retiree). Hospitalized, early in the pandemic. Had HCQ. When I last saw him, he was walking the 'hood (gasp!) with a portable oxygen source.

4. Local retired farmer/small businessman, age 83. Died, early on.
Yes, I know one neighbor and another family in our neighborhood (one was the first case in our county back in March and the person had just returned from an international business trip) that have or have had it. They have all recovered/ or are recovering without issue (I know this because I personally know them and the people they have shared the information with).

I also know 3 kids that have had it and they have all recovered (though one of the kids had hives and joint pain as symptoms) without issue as well. My co-worker's daughter also had it (she has asthma as well) and she has also recovered without issue.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:09 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,676,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Yes, I know one neighbor and another family in our neighborhood (one was the first case in our county back in March and the person had just returned from an international business trip) that have or have had it. They have all recovered/ or are recovering without issue (I know this because I personally know them and the people they have shared the information with).

I also know 3 kids that have had it and they have all recovered (though one of the kids had hives and joint pain as symptoms) without issue as well. My co-worker's daughter also had it (she has asthma as well) and she has also recovered without issue.
I know five people who had it. None were hospitalized.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I know five people who had it. None were hospitalized.
My friend's brother is hosptialized getting a med starting with an "R" according to my friend.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:20 PM

668 posts, read 467,245 times
I know ZERO people who have had Covid. And I live in a very densely populated state. Go figure. Guess I'm just lucky.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:31 PM

514 posts, read 237,597 times
Quote:

I know four. In order of age/severity of illness:
1. My niece, age 19. Works in retail. Lives/works in a college town that saw a huge upswing in cases when the students came back. Not hospitalized. Seemed pretty good when I saw her through her apt. window when I brought her some supplies. (Being 19, she did not have a thermometer or a pulse ox.)

2. Friend's son, age 31. Works in law enforcement. Was quite sick, but not hospitalized. Better now.

3. Neighbor, age 65-70 (young retiree). Hospitalized, early in the pandemic. Had HCQ. When I last saw him, he was walking the 'hood (gasp!) with a portable oxygen source.

4. Local retired farmer/small businessman, age 83. Died, early on.
In my household: myself, my husband, and one of our children. Extended local family: my aunt, her husband. Probably a dozen or so friends. Roughly three dozen at my workplace, that I know of. Varying degrees of severity, not necessarily due to age or comorbidity; I would say the hardest hit were an otherwise healthy septuagenarian, and an early-30s corrections officer who is as strong as an ox.

Last edited by Hearthcrafter; 10-11-2020 at 06:54 PM..

Old 10-11-2020, 09:47 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,889,429 times
There have been about 960 cases of Covid in my zip code, with a population of 64,000. I don't personally know any of those 960. Nobody at work has become sick.

My sister, and my niece, living in different households in NJ, both caught it and recovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.