Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 06:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I’ve seen a few trunk or treat events advertised and organized by cities and counties. If they really thought it was too dangerous, would they do this? I don’t think so. Same goes for the 13th Floor Haunted Houses.
Probably they haven't gotten the word yet OR, they're just stupid.

I seriously don't understand the mindset that every person, every community, every whatever is competent and capable of making their own decision about this and that everyone's decision is valid. It's a very complex calculation. Trust the scientists!

Old 10-12-2020, 08:08 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
There have been about 960 cases of Covid in my zip code, with a population of 64,000. I don't personally know any of those 960. Nobody at work has become sick.

My sister, and my niece, living in different households in NJ, both caught it and recovered.

Sorry to hear that...Have your sister and niece had any lingering effects? There was an article in the WSJ, I believe, following a handful of people who still have serious neurological impacts (severe memory loss) months after catching it. I haven't done a lit search yet to see what the literature says about that. There have also been case reports about long-term organ damage.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:12 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
I forgot one, I actually know six people who had it. One of those people tested negative but still thinks she had it. She’s The only one with lingering effects. She’s high risk in just about every way. The five others all recovered without any lingering issues. None were hospitalized.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:15 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Turd Collector View Post
In my household: myself, my husband, and one of our children. Extended local family: my aunt, her husband. Probably a dozen or so friends. Roughly three dozen at my workplace, that I know of. Varying degrees of severity, not necessarily due to age or comorbidity; I would say the hardest hit were an otherwise healthy septuagenarian, and an early-30s corrections officer who is as strong as an ox.

Sorry to hear that you got it. Do you have any lingering symptoms? It seems like most people who get it now are recovering, but there also seem to be more and more reports about long-term symptoms.

I know of one relatively healthy early 40's female (who lives in a different state but we caught up by phone a couple months ago). She got it really early on before there were a lot of treatments, so she just pretty much stayed at home and did self-palliative care. She said it was like a really bad flu for about 3 weeks (and she had to occasionally use an inhaler, as she had some problems breathing). She said she was just pretty much out of commission and didn't have energy for about 1 month. She seemed to have pretty much fully recovered when I was speaking to her, and didn't report any long-term effects.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:23 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I forgot one, I actually know six people who had it. One of those people tested negative but still thinks she had it. She’s The only one with lingering effects. She’s high risk in just about every way. The five others all recovered without any lingering issues. None were hospitalized.
None of the people that I know were hospitalized either. My husband swears up and down that he had it in February. He said it was the worst "flu" he ever had. He had fever for 3-4 days and a cough that lingered for weeks.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:01 PM

I heard this story today on NPR while sewing a Halloween-themed mask for my husband. He's going to wear it to his doctor's appointment on Friday.

Story is the same old same old, but it's kind of cute.
https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020...ps-coronavirus

Old 10-12-2020, 04:03 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Daughter's SIL tested positive before her scheduled surgery. All four members of her household tested negative, as did all people she came into contact with. She never experienced any symptoms. Neither did her family members or contacts. All asymptomatic people negative tests? Cannot be a FALSE positive test?

Old 10-12-2020, 04:19 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Back to OT. Our development in NEPA had their first indoor event dinner Labor Day weekend. Very crowded indoors and outdoors. They are having a outdoor Harvest Festival next weekend with pumpkin picking/decorating, two live bands, food and craft beers outdoors.

ON Halloween, they are having a costume parade meeting on the beach by the lake, and then going to our restaurant where the kids will be given bags of candy. Never had this before. Our development has a large number of people from NY and NJ who own vacation home here and come to the development's special events. Then there are Seniors living here with adult children and grandkids who come here as well.

I believe our state limits on number of people at outdoor events is 250 people, same as NY, NJ, and CT. All these Governors got together and planned reopening in phases based on a percentage of new cases, County by County, not by the entire state

Old 10-13-2020, 01:29 PM

This morning, I was looking at the website 538 which does statistical analyses of political and other topics. I came across this: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ction-chances/ After the political stuff, I came upon this:
"The pandemic could make for an eerily quiet Halloween. According to a Leger poll, only 54 percent of Americans whose children went trick-or-treating last year said they would allow their kids to go door to door this year. Meanwhile, 43 percent of Americans said that governments should proactively cancel Halloween this year."

THEN, I was on Facebook and Hizzoner the governor came on and told us the positivity rate of testing has been near 5% the past few days and that if they continue to increase, new restrictions will be applied. He's talking about interacting with fewer people. So I Googled the news for today, and found this from just a few hours ago: https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/1...pitalizations/
"Colorado in “third wave” of COVID-19 as hospitalizations reach highest level since May, state health director says
Public health officials voice concerns about greater spread over Halloween weekend"

I guess CD posters on this thread are not typical of most people re: T or T. Also, it looks like it will be getting worse before it gets better.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:47 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
This morning, I was looking at the website 538 which does statistical analyses of political and other topics. I came across this: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ction-chances/ After the political stuff, I came upon this:
"The pandemic could make for an eerily quiet Halloween. According to a Leger poll, only 54 percent of Americans whose children went trick-or-treating last year said they would allow their kids to go door to door this year. Meanwhile, 43 percent of Americans said that governments should proactively cancel Halloween this year."

THEN, I was on Facebook and Hizzoner the governor came on and told us the positivity rate of testing has been near 5% the past few days and that if they continue to increase, new restrictions will be applied. He's talking about interacting with fewer people. So I Googled the news for today, and found this from just a few hours ago: https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/1...pitalizations/
"Colorado in “third wave” of COVID-19 as hospitalizations reach highest level since May, state health director says
Public health officials voice concerns about greater spread over Halloween weekend"

I guess CD posters on this thread are not typical of most people re: T or T. Also, it looks like it will be getting worse before it gets better.

Our state is now increasing with cases and hospitalizations, but we're still in the first wave. We've reopened slowly and I'm sure we will stay in the same plan for a few more weeks. Our county is well below the state in cases and hospitalizations (370 cases, 14 hospitalizations and 5.5%).

Someone started a new post on the neighborhood page on Halloween last night. Everyone that responded is going to be sitting outside and will have candy on a table at the end of the driveway in treat bags. A couple of them are going to do the PVC pipe idea, and someone else going to do "treat sticks" or hang the treats up with clothespins on string.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.