Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 02:54 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Instead, 41-year-old has to pay his parents' legal fees of $74K

A 41-year-old man has failed in a legal bid to force his wealthy parents to continue financially supporting him.

A qualified solicitor with mental health disabilities, the man said his parents "nurtured his dependency" on them but reduced support as his relationship with them deteriorated.

His lawyers said the judge had powers to order parents to provide support based on laws relating to marriage and children.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54358774
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 06:44 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
The fact that this even went in front of a judge is ABSURD. He expected the court to rule that his (certainly elderly if hes 40) parents support him in his 40s is crazy.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:41 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
I'm not sure how I feel. They've supported him for 40 years, including paying his housing, related costs as well as day to day living. You can't just expect him to find a job with no skills or job history. So now, he's going to be living with no money so he will most likely go on welfare. With them being wealthy, they surely can afford to step his lifestyle down, let's say give him one year to establish a job and be financially independent. Find him a studio apartment he'll be able to afford on his own.

I don't see how he's going to pay his parents attorney bill with no money. You can't get blood from a stone.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:02 AM

464 posts, read 202,614 times
What a chump!! I guess he can kiss his inheritance goodbye.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:04 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
He's got a degree in modern history..a masters degree in taxation, and is a qualified solicitor...time he payed his own way and quit leeching off his elderly parents.
Glad the judge ruled like he did!

Old 10-02-2020, 10:08 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You can't just expect him to find a job with no skills or job history.

I don't see how he's going to pay his parents attorney bill with no money. You can't get blood from a stone.
He can use his degrees and get a job like everyone else has to. What's the use of even getting a degree (his parents probably paid for those too)if he's not gonna use them.
I'd say his parents have already been over generous..

Old 10-02-2020, 10:54 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
He's got a degree in modern history..a masters degree in taxation, and is a qualified solicitor...time he payed his own way and quit leeching off his elderly parents.
Glad the judge ruled like he did!
Thanks, I missed that. I reread it. He hasn't worked since 2011.

As I said, I don't know how I really feel except there's no way someone will just hire him with a good job that he can support himself. As I said, he'll go on welfare probably. It's gonna be sink or swim for him.

I have an accountant friend that was similar due to caring for his mother. It took him a year to just get hired with a temp agency, then another year before he actually got hired on with a company. This is a guy that used to work for Disney. He has an awesome resume just hadn't worked in 10 years. Thankfully he had money from the sale of his mothers house.

I just saw this, they reduced what they're giving him so I'm good with that.

Quote:
But the judge said: "The relationship between the applicant and his parents, in particular, it would appear, his father, has deteriorated and the financial support they are prepared to offer has significantly reduced."

Old 10-02-2020, 11:45 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel. They've supported him for 40 years, including paying his housing, related costs as well as day to day living. You can't just expect him to find a job with no skills or job history. So now, he's going to be living with no money so he will most likely go on welfare. With them being wealthy, they surely can afford to step his lifestyle down, let's say give him one year to establish a job and be financially independent. Find him a studio apartment he'll be able to afford on his own.

Quote:
Thanks, I missed that. I reread it. He hasn't worked since 2011.

As I said, I don't know how I really feel except there's no way someone will just hire him with a good job that he can support himself. As I said, he'll go on welfare probably. It's gonna be sink or swim for him.

I have an accountant friend that was similar due to caring for his mother. It took him a year to just get hired with a temp agency, then another year before he actually got hired on with a company. This is a guy that used to work for Disney. He has an awesome resume just hadn't worked in 10 years. Thankfully he had money from the sale of his mothers house.

I just saw this, they reduced what they're giving him so I'm good with that.
Yeah it seems as though they got tired of being his cash cow. So they have been reducing it and hes been getting mad which made things worse. Now a judge has ruled they dont have to do anything and they probably wont since he made such a fuss. Plus, he definitely can work he just doesnt

Old 10-02-2020, 12:38 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Instead, 41-year-old has to pay his parents' legal fees of $74K

A 41-year-old man has failed in a legal bid to force his wealthy parents to continue financially supporting him.

A qualified solicitor with mental health disabilities, the man said his parents "nurtured his dependency" on them but reduced support as his relationship with them deteriorated.

His lawyers said the judge had powers to order parents to provide support based on laws relating to marriage and children.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54358774
Would like to have known more about the mental disabilities. The question being is he capable of taking care of himself or has this shifted the bill to the taxpayers? The thought of an adult suing his parents for essentially "child support" is so absurd that makes me wonder if this was really him suing them or merely a legal fiction in order to get a court ruling that relieves that can be used to justify welfare payments.?

Old 10-02-2020, 01:21 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
The parents live in Dubai. He lives in London.

I too wonder what his mental health disability is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting