Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 08:10 AM

12,076 posts, read 23,185,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It takes a lot of guts and initiative to move - and supportive people pushing you in the right direction. Not everyone is that lucky.
You also need the means to move, and someplace to stay when you get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 08:31 AM

3,342 posts, read 1,929,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You also need the means to move, and someplace to stay when you get there.
The family moved out of state and then moved back to NYC. From the article it appears that they've been homeless for years. I can't fathom why two able bodied adults would return to a place where their child would be subjected to this kind of life.

Last edited by rfomd129; 10-26-2020 at 08:40 AM..

Old 10-26-2020, 09:04 AM

[quote=Cida;59499932]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Not to mention, I am not feeling the sympathy for anyone who names their "bright young child" Prince.

QUOTE]

In case you didn't notice, those were pseudonyms.
Not pseudonyms, nicknames.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:18 AM

19,649 posts, read 9,192,474 times
Once again this illustrates how often children suffer because of the poor decisions of their parents. I don't think ANY child should go hungry or unsheltered or without medical care, and that is why I support a very liberal birth control policies. But I still think the best approach is to do more to encourage young adults to stay in school and then get a job and to not have children until they can afford to take care of them the way all kids should be cared for.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Once again this illustrates how often children suffer because of the poor decisions of their parents. I don't think ANY child should go hungry or unsheltered or without medical care, and that is why I support a very liberal birth control policies. But I still think the best approach is to do more to encourage young adults to stay in school and then get a job and to not have children until they can afford to take care of them the way all kids should be cared for.

What's truly sad is that this common sense approach to life even needs to be encouraged.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:26 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
[/i][/b]

What's truly sad is that this common sense approach to life even needs to be encouraged.
It ISN'T common sense though to you if it's not something you see in your everyday life. In some places, having a baby is the marker of adulthood, not graduating from high school and going to college or having a career. Those are things OTHER people do, people who don't live in your neighborhood and to whom you have no connection.

I remember a couple of years ago when there was some sort of rioting (not this year's rioting) in Milwaukee. The newswoman interviewed a 20-something man who said he'd come with his mother to see what was going on. She asked him what he thought the rioting was about, and he said, "Rich people have all the money and they're trying not to give us any."

My initial reaction was that I wanted to slap this man's mother upside the head for allowing him to become an adult who thinks that way, but I realized she probably doesn't know it's supposed to be any different either.

Most of us understand that you don't live your life by standing in place expecting someone to give you something. You find a way to go out and get what you need. There's a chunk of our population, though, for whom that way of thinking never occurs, and it gets passed down from generation to generation unless by some chance the chain is broken.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:32 PM

128,948 posts, read 11,931,519 times
Very sad. I agree they should move, but moving can be expensive, even if it is only bus tickets. Maybe the kid doesn't know the bologna needs to thaw, his parents are probably not bright enough to tell him that.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It ISN'T common sense though to you if it's not something you see in your everyday life. In some places, having a baby is the marker of adulthood, not graduating from high school and going to college or having a career. Those are things OTHER people do, people who don't live in your neighborhood and to whom you have no connection.

I remember a couple of years ago when there was some sort of rioting (not this year's rioting) in Milwaukee. The newswoman interviewed a 20-something man who said he'd come with his mother to see what was going on. She asked him what he thought the rioting was about, and he said, "Rich people have all the money and they're trying not to give us any."

My initial reaction was that I wanted to slap this man's mother upside the head for allowing him to become an adult who thinks that way, but I realized she probably doesn't know it's supposed to be any different either.

Most of us understand that you don't live your life by standing in place expecting someone to give you something. You find a way to go out and get what you need. There's a chunk of our population, though, for whom that way of thinking never occurs, and it gets passed down from generation to generation unless by some chance the chain is broken.
I agree with this and that's what I find so sad - that there seems to be quite a lot of people who see destructive behavior as a normal part of life.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:16 PM

18,921 posts, read 27,410,665 times
I do not believe it.
When we came to the country, we lived off food and cloths banks for around 3 years. That's outside of church donations and free meals places. That's outside of what restaurants and grocery stores toss out. For example, when we had blackout for few days, WINCO here tossed out all food from their refrigerators, so several close by towns had food rush.
I do not believe it. You have to live somewhere in Mojave desert and be dumb, blind and whjatever else, to have no food.
Sorry to spoil everyone's tear eyed mood.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:16 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,889,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I do not believe it.
When we came to the country, we lived off food and cloths banks for around 3 years. That's outside of church donations and free meals places. That's outside of what restaurants and grocery stores toss out. For example, when we had blackout for few days, WINCO here tossed out all food from their refrigerators, so several close by towns had food rush.
I do not believe it. You have to live somewhere in Mojave desert and be dumb, blind and whjatever else, to have no food.
Sorry to spoil everyone's tear eyed mood.
So, you got yours, all is well, right?

If you had actually read the article, you would know that homeless shelters do not allow residents to come and go. Also "dumpster diving" as you describe, is illegal in many areas, which is why it usually takes place at night, when those same shelters lock their doors.

Don't children, and hungry adults, deserve decent food, especially in a country where so much goes to waste?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting