Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 07:36 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Adoption Statistics

https://2date4love.com/adoption-statistics/

Around 135,000 children are adopted every year in the United States.
In the United States, there are around 1.5 million children who have been adopted.
In 2018, there were 4,058 adoptions in the United States.
There are around 437,000 children in the United States who are in foster care on any given day.
There are around 69,000 children and teenagers in foster care in the United States who don’t live in a family environment, say foster care adoption statistics.
Of the children who exited foster care in 2018, 25% were taken in by a family that went through the adoption process.
Since 2005, the number of children being adopted from other countries has decreased by 72%.
In 2015, there were 12,000 international adoptions, with 5,500 children being adopted in the United States.
There are around 2 million LGBT people in the United States who want to adopt.
Same-sex married couples can adopt children in every state in America.

Note that there are plenty of older children who could be adopted.
That's nice. It does seem like same sex couples are even having their own through science.

I read an interesting article about how there are so few people with down syndrome born these days since people are able to find out in advance if the child has downs and typically they abort:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ndrome/616928/

The article made me sad. I can understand not wanting to raise a child with problems because that could be a very sad hard life and who wants that. I do know a couple who has a child with downs and he has had so many surgeries because he has a congenital heart issue. It looks very stressful. They also have two children who dont have downs.

I'm getting off topic, but it just seems like humans have so many things they can control when it comes to fertility these days. I guess that's a good thing....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 07:58 PM

213 posts, read 131,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Seems like adoption is out the window these days because people can freeze eggs and get IVF.

Are there really that many unwanted children out there these days? Not to be naive but it seems like when it comes to fertility everything is very planned. You can be on the pill so you don't conceive, even the poorest of people can get access to the pill. Then you can be 45 and decide to get pregnant through IVF or frozen whatever. Anyways, if there are that many unwanted children then that is sad. It just seems like people are having less kids these days.
Note that adoption from other countries is an option as well. In China they have a female baby mass genocide that's been going for years bc most people are seeking to have a boy. And if they don't get adopted? They either die or go homeless and/or into trafficking/slavery. Which is grim but true, and I think it's the same for India and much of Eastern Europe.
Idk which sex you're seeking but consider your options, they're out there.

Old 12-04-2020, 04:38 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
My DIL has only one Fallopian tube, and my son has a low sperm count. They can theoretically get pregnant the old fashioned way, but they opted for IVF, which resulted in 16 frozen embryos. Their first attempt resulted in my delightful 2 1/2 year old granddaughter. #15 embryo didn’t take, but now #13 ( they implant the strongest looking one at the time) is a healthy baby boy, due in April.

Hang in there, OP. Medical science is on your side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting