Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 01:41 PM

10,170 posts, read 6,621,163 times

Advertisements

Hey "HGLG" Is there a man in the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 02:28 PM

9,274 posts, read 5,039,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygoluckygirl View Post
My son is 16 yrs old and his girlfriend is the same age. They have been together for about 6 months.

A few days ago she bought my son 3 "crop top" hoodies - along with 3 pairs of shorts and 2 pairs of sweat pants.

REALLY?!?!?!?! CROP TOP HOODIE FOR A MALE??

Much to my surprise he has been wearing them - exposing his midriff and belly button all day out in public!

She says she likes the look of him wearing the crop top hoodies. Where did she get the money to buy him clothes and why did her parents allow her to do it?

I hate to refuse to allow him to wear those clothes, as I think he will simply do it behind my back.

I don't know if I should contact her parents or call CPS and let them sort this out. Today was day 3 of him wearing a crop top! He is usually shirtless in shorts around the house - then he puts on the crop top hoodie when he goes out. Had the girl not bought these for him he wouldn't be wearing the crop tops.

ideas?
Why would you call CPS??

Old 10-29-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I don't even know what a crop top hoodie is. But to call CPS on a teenager over clothing? Are you for real? CPS has children with REAL problems to handle.
Its like 1/2 a hoodie, hits just below your boobs.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I probably wasn't being clear - he has worn those crop top hoodies to school. (right now school is every other day) TODAY - when I had dinner ready and I tried to call him for dinner I realized he left his phone here at the house. I walked down the street to where he was playing basketball with friends - he was shirtless in the game with that crop top hoodie thrown on the ground. As we were walking home he stayed shirtless, then put the crop top on as we sat down for dinner. After dinner he took it off and went back to play basketball with his friends. This girl is changing his whole personality and values - he would never have been walking down the neighborhood shirtless or worn a crop top.
Uh....the GIRL is not 'changing his whole personality and values.' Why don't you sit down with him and ask him what's going on? It sounds like you may be out of touch with what is happening with him personally.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:21 PM

15,816 posts, read 21,328,486 times
If you are this upset about something benign as an embarrassing fashion choice, imagine what he's not telling you because he knows you'll freak out?

Old 10-29-2020, 04:55 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,066,460 times
Cropped jerseys were prohibited by the NCAA a few years ago, before that they were popular with a fair number of players because it made them harder to tackle by grabbing their jersey

I am just amazed that someone is bothered enough by this to actually post a thread after apparently lurking here for 2 years

Old 10-30-2020, 12:25 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,344,793 times
Crop top hoodies for boys are in style. It's not unusual these days for young men to wear them to show of their abs.

This event is far, far from serious. Do not involve CPS. He is 16 and still doesn't have a brain yet like most 16 year old guys. So you still have the right to influence what he wears but be rational. Allow some rope here. Just some. Meet him half way. Compromise fairly.

Ask your son not to accept anymore clothing choices.
Draw the line at the croppies but give him something else in lieu of it that you know he would appreciate. A raise in his allowance maybe?

It is not necessary to go to her parents. The girl did nothing harmful to your son.She just bought gifts for him.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:26 AM

6,448 posts, read 7,741,226 times
Crop tops are a gateway. I knew a guy who wore one and then became a meth addict. It only takes that one time!

Old 10-30-2020, 12:21 PM

14,681 posts, read 14,804,674 times
Quote:

..... Much to my surprise he has been wearing them - exposing his midriff and belly button all day out in public! ......
!! ~ ~ !!

OMG! ...... This I have to see! Please post pictures of his exposed midriff and belly button.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:08 PM

1,462 posts, read 648,547 times
Is this your son's first girlfriend? Look, it's hard for Moms to let go and realize that they are no longer the number one person in their child's life. Especially if you've always enjoyed a close relationship with your child. Is your son your first child? It really sounds like you're kind of looking for something to criticize with this particular girl friend. Count yourself among the very lucky if you have the luxury of being this upset over an article of clothing. By reacting the way you did you've ensured he'll want to wear it much much longer than he would have if you'd said absolutely nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting