Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 05:46 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Love.

Really, that is the only answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 06:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
More Americans will die of cancer than covid19 this year which is something the media never covers. Staying indoors and enjoying all the munchies and inactive lifestyle can promote cancer for those with the genes.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:01 PM

2,138 posts, read 1,208,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ne/6507974002/

Why would anyone want to even think about having kids now, in light of the absolute turmoil the world has been in the last year?

I worry enough about gainful employment for just MYSELF, let alone ankle biters.

If I'm on edge about how I'll survive and pay my mortgage just worrying about myself, why on Gods Green Earth would anyone want to bring other dependents into this absolutely maddening and dysfunctional world, unless of course they are completely independently wealthy?

Seeing my sister and her kids (7 and 5) and having to take time off work since they are virtual learning makes me wonder what people are smoking by wanting to still have kids after the pandemic.

Don't even get me started on how backwards it is that the poor and undereducated have many more kids than those in the upper-middle class and wealthy. Soooo backwards to say the least.

Please DO explain!
Same reasons as ever. My dad and his brother were born in 22 and 20.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:14 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think there is a difference between the eras without birth control and a form of recreation that was free, and now, when we can choose to procreate or not. I’m sure some of the children born in the darkest of times probably suffered, and died young.
Anyone can choose to procreate, or not to procreate. Some of the children born in the best of times suffer and die young too -- you'll find some of them today at your local pediatric cancer ward, and others in violent areas around the world.

The OP asked "why" -- I suggest he read the short story "Story of Your Life" by Ted Chiang -- or watch the movie version, "Arrival". The choice made by the main character provides as good an answer to the question as anything one of us could come up with.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:25 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Because the purpose of human civilization is to survive and reproduce? Because covid has a 99.98% survival rate? Because there's already a vaccine? Because it's harmless to children.

Pandemics don't stop humans from having unprotected sex.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:54 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
We certainly have become a very soft society if we, as humans, are going to stop procreating due to a crisis. I would like to believe that we are stronger than than and will get through this. Sure glad our ancestors did not share the same concerns as the OP.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:57 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
My only guess for the O.P.’s question would be societal expectations. Depending on where they live, some women are still “supposed” to exhibit baby rabies.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:32 AM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Please DO explain!
Not sure it's even worth responding to your condescending, Puritanical, elitist, garbage post....

But for one:

Having children is a positive good. Bringing new life into the world is objectively a good thing. It's good for the husband and wife, and it's good for the world.

Secondly, this "pandemic" has no teeth. What we have seen is not the destructive power of a virus, but rather the destructive power of the state. Any disruptions in society that have come about (and they are many!) are due to bad government/corporate policies and not to the illness itself.

With the way the world has rapidly changed for the worst this past year, the best hope for humanity is to raise a new generation of unmasked, unterrorized, untraumatized, and unafraid children to grow up and confront this farce for what it is, ushering in a new birth of freedom.

Old 12-21-2020, 10:08 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
None of your reasons are why there's a baby bust.

People aren't having kids because they have less privacy with work-from-home and virtual learning.

Also, there are less singles hooking up because social gatherings have been reduced, restaurants and other venues have limited attendance, and colleges aren't holding in-person classes.

All the trends toward remote work and direct-to-home delivery of goods and services are existing trends before Covid and will continue to be there. The aging of the population and real estate inflation are largely responsible. It was already being projected that 25 percent of all meals would be home-delivered by 2025 because of the baby boomers.

Actually, I see a lot more people enjoying their kids because they spend a lot more time with them. There's a lot of projection on these forums where people have personal deficiencies and need to believe other people have them in order to justify their inadequacy.

Last edited by lchoro; 12-21-2020 at 10:18 AM..

Old 12-21-2020, 10:48 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
based on your logic, no one should have reproduced until about 1960.

And lots of places on earth - they still should not. Turns out - biology is a strong motivator. People are organisms like all the rest - they do not exist to earn money or be comfortable, but, mainly, to produce more organisms. Everything else is frosting.

meantime - More Americans will die of cancer than covid19 this year which is something the media never covers.

Sure - over some arbitrary time span. I can do the same. Covid killed more people in the last 30 days than cancer did. Average year has about 50,000 per month die of cancer, or 1600 or so per day. COVID is killing 3000 per day right now.

COVID is accelerating. Cancer is not.

Also - It would be rare indeed if YOU did something that prevented MY cancer. Not so, COVID.

Also - No hospitals are in danger of being full of Cancer patients - not so, COVID.

What else ya got?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting