Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 11:26 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ne/6507974002/

Why would anyone want to even think about having kids now, in light of the absolute turmoil the world has been in the last year?

I worry enough about gainful employment for just MYSELF, let alone ankle biters.

If I'm on edge about how I'll survive and pay my mortgage just worrying about myself, why on Gods Green Earth would anyone want to bring other dependents into this absolutely maddening and dysfunctional world, unless of course they are completely independently wealthy?

Seeing my sister and her kids (7 and 5) and having to take time off work since they are virtual learning makes me wonder what people are smoking by wanting to still have kids after the pandemic.

Don't even get me started on how backwards it is that the poor and undereducated have many more kids than those in the upper-middle class and wealthy. Soooo backwards to say the least.

Please DO explain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 11:58 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Read a damn history or science book. Pandemics don't last forever.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:21 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Read a damn history or science book. Pandemics don't last forever.
OK.....so what's your point? Nothing actually lasts forever.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:16 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
My grandfather used to lecture the family about the same issue after WW2. His five grandkids have had perfectly fine lives as it has turned out. We have all been everywhere in the world he never got to see, four of us got degrees whereas he left school at thirteen.

You cannot predict the future and it will probably take another year for the world to bounce back but it will.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:41 AM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Yeah, it is probably not high on most people's lists of "things to do". HOWEVER...

With so little else going on, the ***process*** used to make kids is probably more popular than ever right now, so there are probably going to be a lot of "happy accidents" next year. I mean, when everything is closed down, you are unemployed (30 million people are unemployed), and there is nothing else to do and you can't afford it anyway... then what's left?

I mean, it is free and accessible.

So yeah, there may not be an intentional baby boom but there could be a boredom baby boom.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:30 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ne/6507974002/

Why would anyone want to even think about having kids now, in light of the absolute turmoil the world has been in the last year?

I worry enough about gainful employment for just MYSELF, let alone ankle biters.

If I'm on edge about how I'll survive and pay my mortgage just worrying about myself, why on Gods Green Earth would anyone want to bring other dependents into this absolutely maddening and dysfunctional world, unless of course they are completely independently wealthy?

Seeing my sister and her kids (7 and 5) and having to take time off work since they are virtual learning makes me wonder what people are smoking by wanting to still have kids after the pandemic.

Don't even get me started on how backwards it is that the poor and undereducated have many more kids than those in the upper-middle class and wealthy. Soooo backwards to say the least.

Please DO explain!
That is what emergency funds are for. You are supposed to have enough money put aside to make it 6 months without a job .

Old 12-20-2020, 08:04 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
My son is about to change careers, his wife is taking licensing tests for her profession, yet they decided to use the pandemic down time to have a second baby.

As my DIL said, if everyone waited for their life to be perfectly lined up before having children, nobody would ever have them. We adapt. Their first child is almost 3 and they are an active couple. It was time to get #2 born, so their little pack could hit the trails.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:01 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
For the same reasons people still had children during the Great Depression, or the two World Wars, or during the Black Death. On the physical level, it's called survival of the species, or the biological imperative. On the spiritual level, it's called deep love for the new life you're bringing into the world. You might want to try calling the result "children" rather than "ankle biters" as a start.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:20 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
For the same reasons people still had children during the Great Depression, or the two World Wars, or during the Black Death. On the physical level, it's called survival of the species, or the biological imperative. On the spiritual level, it's called deep love for the new life you're bringing into the world. You might want to try calling the result "children" rather than "ankle biters" as a start.
I think there is a difference between the eras without birth control and a form of recreation that was free, and now, when we can choose to procreate or not. I’m sure some of the children born in the darkest of times probably suffered, and died young.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
People have to have kids, it's what people do. On the other hand I'm not sad my own adult kids haven't had any. One never will and the other might someday. I realize not having grandchildren gives me less people to worry about, but I'm sure I'd be totally change my opinion if one were to suddenly appear...haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting