U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 04:30 PM

2,249 posts, read 862,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Odds of getting a girl = 50%
Odds of getting a boy = 50%

After having 3-4 boys in a row, thinking the next kid will be a girl is a Monte Carlo fallacy.
This is theoretically true, but not necessarily clinically, i.e. actually true.
Other factors may, and seemingly do come into play that can skew the odds, sometimes dramatically.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 06:08 PM

7,983 posts, read 3,694,202 times
My grandpa who was a physician used to have a theory based on pure anecdotes & observation ... That when the father was healthier than the mother; they had a higher chance of having a girl. When the mother was healthier than the father; a higher chance of having a boy.

That was back in the days of big families though, where you could see a gender "trend" among the siblings. Couldn't really tell now.

I had: Boy, boy, boy, boy, boy-girl twins, boy, girl, girl-girl twins, boy. lol

Old 02-05-2021, 06:22 PM

30,493 posts, read 32,896,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
She should've done a little research. It's the man's sperm that determines the gender. So the fact that girls run in mom's family doesn't mean anything.

I learned this when someone pointed out that King Henry VIII blaming his wives for not giving him a male heir was unfair, since HE was the problem.
Unless there is perhaps something going on that would favor implantation of either a male or female zygote.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:43 PM

713 posts, read 547,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Jay and Kateri Schwandt are celebrating the birth of their first daughter, Maggie Jayne, who is the only girl out of 14 brothers. Source: CNN

Sickening in this day and age of global overpopulation with the destruction of the environment and everything else connected to it that these people would have FIFTEEN children, it's outrageous! You couldnt even legally have fifteen DOGS in one household!

Old 02-05-2021, 11:21 PM

14,415 posts, read 28,058,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Sickening in this day and age of global overpopulation with the destruction of the environment and everything else connected to it that these people would have FIFTEEN children, it's outrageous! You couldnt even legally have fifteen DOGS in one household!
I think they can afford to have as many as they want.

Kateri earned a master's degree in social work from Grand Valley State University, and Jay, who also is a land surveyor, a law degree from Thomas Cooley.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:09 AM

2,895 posts, read 524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
She will either be spoiled rotten or tough as nails.

Probably wont have a boyfriend until she is 30.
Would say she would be both.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:12 AM

2,895 posts, read 524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
If they can afford them and take care of them, it is nobody’s business.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:59 AM

512 posts, read 138,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
This is theoretically true, but not necessarily clinically, i.e. actually true.
Other factors may, and seemingly do come into play that can skew the odds, sometimes dramatically.
Yeah, there's got to be something else. On my side of the family I'm the only girl out of six kids (counting myself and my cousins). The cousins have four kids between them - all boys. I don't know what's up with that, but there it is! My gran always said with a straight face that I'm her favorite granddaughter. She got me every time - I'd start saying, but that's not fair... oh wait I'm the only granddaughter

Old 02-06-2021, 01:10 AM

20,068 posts, read 5,432,390 times
My husband's family.....3 boys. 1 girl
My family....................2 boys. 1 girl
Our family...................2 boys. 1 girl
Our grandchildren........2 boys. 1 girl

Old 02-06-2021, 05:24 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,268,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
If they can afford them and take care of them, it is nobody’s business.
It takes more than money to raise children. There’s no way all those kids are getting what they need from those parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting