U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2021, 11:37 AM
 
Location: London U.K.
1,808 posts, read 872,444 times
Reputation: 3788

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Well, I'll say this: She'll have no shortage of older brothers to meet her first boyfriend and give him that "warning" on their first date.
Reminded me of when my only granddaughter was 13, and had begun to experiment with make up and clothes, I said to her 17 y.o. brother, “Looks like Francesca has become aware of boys, are you going to warn them off when they start knocking on the door?”
He said, “Are you kidding grandpa, who’d be interested in her?”
The thing is that she looked like a teenaged Natalie Wood back then!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2021, 11:41 AM
 
26,747 posts, read 24,238,110 times
Reputation: 24715
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
It takes more than money to raise children. There’s no way all those kids are getting what they need from those parents.
You know not so very long ago it was common for people to have many children. Even poorer families with many children managed to raise stable, intelligent, moral contributing members of society. It seems today even with just one or two kids and more resources, many parents cant seem to do that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2021, 12:06 PM
 
1,657 posts, read 461,074 times
Reputation: 1011
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You know not so very long ago it was common for people to have many children. Even poorer families with many children managed to raise stable, intelligent, moral contributing members of society. It seems today even with just one or two kids and more resources, many parents cant seem to do that.
Yes, but as people we evolved. Just because things were done a certain way decades ago doesn't mean it was the right thing to do be doing. Just because women CAN do whatever they want with their fertility doesn't necessarily mean they should.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2021, 12:33 PM
 
26,747 posts, read 24,238,110 times
Reputation: 24715
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yes, but as people we evolved. Just because things were done a certain way decades ago doesn't mean it was the right thing to do be doing. Just because women CAN do whatever they want with their fertility doesn't necessarily mean they should.
Which has nothing to do with being able to give love and attention and parent 15 children.

Birth control advances is why most women dont have as many children as they once did. Back then a woman couldnt do much with her own fertility, even abstinence if she was married was not an option. So does your way of thinking also apply to a woman taking hormones and chemicals putting her health at risk. That falls under doing whatever they want with their fertility. If they chose to stop manipulating their body chemistry more women would be having more kids.

And still non of this has to do with the ability to be a good parent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2021, 01:05 PM
 
1,657 posts, read 461,074 times
Reputation: 1011
I am not sure I believe it is possible to give 15 children the amount of attention and love the deserve. They will have a very different life than the rest of the peers. Not necessarily a bad life, but different. Many kids today are born into households where they have 1 or 2 siblings and are fairly doted on by their parents. Of course there are exceptions but common sense says the more kids you have the less time you will have for each of them.

and yes birth control has been part of our evolvement as a species. Apparently some dr's and scientists didn't think it was a good idea for women to have little to no control over their fertility.

Last edited by msRB311; 02-08-2021 at 01:14 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2021, 01:36 PM
 
10,109 posts, read 6,211,374 times
Reputation: 26594
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I am not sure I believe it is possible to give 15 children the amount of attention and love the deserve. They will have a very different life than the rest of the peers. Not necessarily a bad life, but different. Many kids today are born into households where they have 1 or 2 siblings and are fairly doted on by their parents. Of course there are exceptions but common sense says the more kids you have the less time you will have for each of them.
I agree with you on the bolded. Where I differ is in the assumption that children "deserve" a certain set amount of attention and that parents of large families by definition can't provide what their children need.

I think all the doting that goes on in families with one or two children is very often not a good thing, and that children thrive on a little benign neglect.

I say that as someone who came from a large-ish family, but turned out fine nonetheless. Some people have the desire and ability to be great parents to a larger number of children than others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2021, 02:06 PM
 
1,339 posts, read 624,162 times
Reputation: 4624
Here is something to think about regarding large numbers of kids in a family in the US today. It's pretty much an economic fact that we don't have enough young people entering the workforce today to do all the jobs that need to be done. Consequently, we're filling the void through immigration (legal and otherwise) from other countries all over the world.

So, although I have nothing against people born in other countries, I see no reason to deny Americans the right to have large families. That would simply reduce the number of people that we would need to "import" from other parts of the world.

One thing that I would ask, though, is if you choose to have a large number of kids, please try to provide for them yourself instead of depending on the taxpayers to provide them with the necessities of life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2021, 02:32 PM
 
1,657 posts, read 461,074 times
Reputation: 1011
If we really don't have enough people for all the jobs in the US then I have to ask why is it so hard to get a job? I have trouble believing there aren't enough people for jobs withe how grueling the interview processes can be. It's a supply/demand thing...if there were so many jobs available for people they'd be easier to get.

I also dont think anyone is denying people to have large families. They can if they want to, it is just viewed as irresponsible for the earth not to mention it's expensive. How the heck does one send 14 kids to college?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2021, 03:28 PM
 
737 posts, read 320,550 times
Reputation: 2608
Men alone don't determine the gender of a baby.

A woman’s monthly bodily cycle includes alternating pH levels (acidic and alkaline) within her reproductive tract.

The changes in the pH environment within is now thought to affect baby’s gender. Experts say that alkaline in the follicular fluid will favour Y sperm (conceive a boy) while acidic in the follicular fluid gives preference to the X sperm (conceive a girl).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2021, 05:27 AM
 
Location: NJ
15,547 posts, read 24,459,416 times
Reputation: 15297
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Men alone don't determine the gender of a baby.

A woman’s monthly bodily cycle includes alternating pH levels (acidic and alkaline) within her reproductive tract.

The changes in the pH environment within is now thought to affect baby’s gender. Experts say that alkaline in the follicular fluid will favour Y sperm (conceive a boy) while acidic in the follicular fluid gives preference to the X sperm (conceive a girl).

That was all mentioned in the link I left if I remember right. Having a baby depends on more then anyone could imagine. Also in the link was whether the woman had an orgasm or not. It was more favorable for a girl if the woman did not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top