Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 09:39 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Humans can never be happy for long, there's always something new that takes our happiness away and make us forget how much good is already in our lives.
You're probably right. No one will ever admit it but sometimes having kids can be what causes people to be unhappy. Whether it's because they take up too much of your time, don't turn out how you'd like or become drug addicts or just plain jerks kids aren't always going to make life better. Why do people seem to believe this? Why do most people feel the need to procreate even though there are many other things to do these days. I think it's for fear of missing out if you don't have them. I always wanted to be a mother, i guess that became ingrained me and I did feel like I'd be missing out if I didn't get pregnant and have kids. I imagine others feel the same. I have seen kids turn out wonderful I've also seen kids go on to get arrested or be drug addicts. The birth rate is overall down so people clearly are doing other things in life than having kids...but most people do end up having at least one child.

Sometimes I'll watch shows on tv say to myself, gosh i hope my kids dont end up like that...I think once kids reach a certain age (maybe teens) they only have so much control over what their kids go on to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 11:40 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
You're probably right. No one will ever admit it but sometimes having kids can be what causes people to be unhappy. Whether it's because they take up too much of your time, don't turn out how you'd like or become drug addicts or just plain jerks kids aren't always going to make life better. Why do people seem to believe this? Why do most people feel the need to procreate even though there are many other things to do these days. I think it's for fear of missing out if you don't have them. I always wanted to be a mother, i guess that became ingrained me and I did feel like I'd be missing out if I didn't get pregnant and have kids. I imagine others feel the same. I have seen kids turn out wonderful I've also seen kids go on to get arrested or be drug addicts. The birth rate is overall down so people clearly are doing other things in life than having kids...but most people do end up having at least one child.

Sometimes I'll watch shows on tv say to myself, gosh i hope my kids dont end up like that...I think once kids reach a certain age (maybe teens) they only have so much control over what their kids go on to be.
Keep in mind, statistics for what they are worth, say 45% of pregnancies are unplanned. So its not desire to procreate anymore than a side effect of intercourse.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:41 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Jay and Kateri Schwandt are celebrating the birth of their first daughter, Maggie Jayne, who is the only girl out of 14 brothers. Source: CNN

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/1...n-orig-llr.cnn
Having that many kids is so disgusting. The world is already overpopulated. Hopefully taxpayers aren't subsidizing this family's breeding.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:08 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Nope I'm not supportive of this. Obviously people have the right to have as many children as they can but that doesn't mean they should. Everyone thinks their own kids are precious but to me this seems wasteful. The world is so overpopulated no one in heck should be having 14 kids. How do you really even give adequate attention to 14 kids? If they truly wanted a girl they probably should have thought about adoption
I am with you on this. After 4 or 5, I think that this family should have been thankful for their sons and called it a "family" - because that's what it was.

Most parents can not adequately nurture and care for 15 children. That's a classroom full of kids, not a family.

There are so many potential problems here. One of them is all of the attention focused on the "Little Princess", at the expense of the other children.

While it's nice to experience raising a child of each gender, not everyone gets that. These people are terribly selfish and in no way should they be celebrated.

After for or five? Adopt or STOP. - And I am being generous.

All those poor little boys. This just makes me sad.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:35 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Agree. Many people stop after 2 or three. That is the sane thing to do. This couple having kid after kid feels potentially insane.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:16 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Having that many kids is so disgusting. The world is already overpopulated. Hopefully taxpayers aren't subsidizing this family's breeding.
If you'd read the thread and any articles about the family, you'd know they are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Most parents can not adequately nurture and care for 15 children. That's a classroom full of kids, not a family.

All those poor little boys. This just makes me sad.
You are wasting your pity by apparently imagining 15 neglected toddlers in a daycare room. This is a large, spread-out family. Six or seven of the "little boys" are already adults and some don't live at home any more.

And while I agree with you that I would have a hard time coping with a large family (it's the time duration of decades, more than the actual number of kids, that would get to me), others love it and their kids turn out great. So don't judge everyone by your and my inadequacy.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:37 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I think this is an appropriate place to mention that legislators are discussing providing a monthly child allowance for families to, among other things, encourage more people to have babies. The declining fertility rate of the US is worrisome.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americans...194508786.html

Old 02-19-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think this is an appropriate place to mention that legislators are discussing providing a monthly child allowance for families to, among other things, encourage more people to have babies. The declining fertility rate of the US is worrisome.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americans...194508786.html
Are you ****ing kidding me?! Our country and our world do NOT need more people. There are only so many resources to go around.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:46 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Disgusting? Breeding? Ugh.

Its not your business whether someone has 0 children or 100.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Disgusting? Breeding? Ugh.

Its not your business whether someone has 0 children or 100.
It is if you're subsidizing them (which happens in a lot of cases) and it is when people are already straining limited resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting