Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 06:33 PM

157 posts, read 92,013 times

Advertisements

In our household, we still don't go to stores or restaurants (we do curbside pickup and restaurant delivery), and we don't have visitors. My husband works at home. I work in a very small building, in my own enclosed office with a number of my own precautions in place there to manage the air I'm breathing. We keep our risk down very low.

If you are a more careful type, like we are, how do you handle your college student coming home for visits from living on campus? Do you require them to take any special precautions or steps? Do you take any special precautions or steps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 07:38 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,290,430 times
Not exactly the same, but similar enough to respond. Our adult son and his GF recently flew in for a two week stay. They both are working remotely and exercising caution as you describe. We are doing the same.

They arrived with masks on. For the first week they worked in one part of the house behind a closed door, and my husband and I worked in another. We didn't all sit down together for meals that week. We stayed at least 6 feet apart that week while indoors. We socialized outside on the weekends and still stayed apart mostly. We relaxed a bit the second week.

I've read that most people start showing symptoms by day 5.5 after exposure thus we used 7 days as our extra cautionary period.

I wouldn't encourage short visits right now as difficult as that can be. If it can't be avoided, stay the recommended distance apart and consider having the student tested a day or two after arrival. If that's not possible, I'd consider wearing masks when in the same area.

While all of this might sound like too much to some, I live in a large university town. We've seen our positivity rate increase by 5 times since the students returned. 75% (30) of the Greek houses are on quarantine. We've seen pictures of a few large off campus parties. The university is doing everything right, including suspending some students that are not following guidelines. Some of the young people are being very selfish with their behavior and will ruin it for all students if they are forced to go back to 100% online classes.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:29 AM

1,154 posts, read 364,526 times
About halfway through the summer when we learned that our kids’ universities would be going ahead with in-person learning, we sat them both down and had a heart-to-heart about what it would mean. We emphasized that being on campus meant that they would not be permitted to come home for weekend visits and that if they became infected, they would have to ride it out on their own at school. We reminded them that when the semester ended at Thanksgiving, they would need to quarantine for a week and then test negative for the virus before heading home. Because I am currently being treated for autoimmune disease and am at high-risk for severe COVID, these precautions are absolutely necessary. In the end, they both decided that they’d rather take a semester of remote courses from home.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:25 PM

313 posts, read 265,268 times
Last March I worried about this too. So when my daughter came home to visit from college she left her shoes in the garage, showered and put on clean clothes.
My husband flies in and out each week for work and this is what he does too.
We've done this for 6 months. It's now a regular part of our lives.

My daughter comes home from college seeking comfort and safety in her own home so I would never turn her away esp during a pandemic. I would feel selfish. My husband travels for work each week, sleeping in hotels, dining out, and riding in Ubers. He too comes home without a quarantine period.
We're healthy, wear masks in public and wash up once home.

Last edited by Withinpines; 09-08-2020 at 10:52 PM..

Old 09-08-2020, 10:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,761,388 times
My college students modified their personal hygiene and were good about staying in during the mandatory stay-home period, but once that was over they came and went almost as usual, but with masks and hand-washing, etc.

My high-schooler and his friend group were harder to convince about staying apart and hung out almost as normal once the lockdown ended. They were like their own little family group, though, and none have has been sick, thank God. My 16-year-old got a part-time retail job during the pandemic and has been working that ever since. The employees wear masks in the store.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:59 AM

15,837 posts, read 21,372,529 times
I work at a university and our students are expected not to visit home until Thanksgiving, in which case they are all home for the semester. The exception is only for students living at home due to the pandemic. It's a disciplinary offense that could result in privileges to campus being revoked. Many colleges have similar rules because the nature of residence hall living is that much more risky to the spread of covid. Make sure before your kids come home if they live in a dorm that they know what is expected of them regarding travel.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:10 AM

813 posts, read 598,549 times
To quote Bruno; I'd catch a grenade for ya, throw my hand on a blade for ya, I'd jump in front of a train for ya, but you gotta wear a mask...

Sad days. Good luck, Rg

Old 09-09-2020, 08:33 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,537,730 times
Are you in a high risk category or you’re just very afraid of getting coronavirus? If it’s simply fear then it sounds like you’ll be living the way you are for quite some time.

DH and I are both working from home because that’s what our employers decided for us. We have been going to grocery stores since all this happened. We didn’t have the patience for groceries delivered. We wear masks, hand sanitizer has become an accessory, we don’t have people over our house but we do go to my parents beach house every weekend to spend time with my parents. We go to the beach, my son plays hockey, both kids are going back to school with a hybrid model. Life has changed in that we see less people I suppose. There’s been no parties the way there once were and masks are worn regularly. We have gone out to eat, eaten inside and outside. We also had our 20 yr old babysitter come weekly to take kids to the beach.

The numbers are so low where I am that I guess I don’t feel the fear. Up until March I was commuting by a very crowded train into Boston everyday. I don’t see myself doing that for a very long time. That was the one thing I was nervous about.

If I had a college kid I’d want them home with me. If that didn’t happen I’d just hope that they followed the rules and didn’t attend parties. Unfortunately college kids will be kids and I’d maybe be nervous that they’d bring something home to us. Lord knows my kids brought home a stomach bug that had me in bed barely able to move for about 36 hours the past two years.

Old 09-09-2020, 01:00 PM

85 posts, read 110,815 times
There's a practical limit to everything.

I know a neighbor who hasn't left her house since March. She is super high risk. But even she is going stir crazy. I think she is getting to a point where she would rather risk death than be in a self imposed home prison.

We can only control what we can control...the illusion that we can control everything is just that, an illusion. You could do everything perfectly in your home, and catch some type of dreadful cancer that could be life threatening.

I try to practice common sense with my family, but at some point in time, people have to live.

Old 09-09-2020, 01:56 PM

5,831 posts, read 3,608,821 times
https://www.conservativereview.com/n...ian-lockdowns/

"Remember the goal of flattening the curve? Ensuring that hospitals weren’t overrun? Well, what do you call a scenario where thousands of cases result in zero hospitalizations? I’d call it the ultimate flat curve – or downright flat line. Yet rather than recognizing the detection of mild cases among college students as portents of good news, universities continue to sow panic for no good reason.

If we had in place the strict eligibility threshold for COVID-19 testing that we had in March when tests were scarce, we quite literally would not know the “epidemic” of mild and asymptomatic cases on college campus even exists. After being open for weeks, college campuses have no reported deaths or even hospitalizations that I can find. You might say that’s because they’ve done such an amazing job preventing cases. Nope: They have tons of reported cases. Dr. Andrew Bostom, a cardiovascular and epidemiology researcher, posted a spreadsheet on twitter of all the cases in 17 state university systems as of September 4: https://twitter.com/andrewbostom/sta...n-lockdowns%2F

There is not a single hospitalization among them. How is this an emergency situation? If anything, the fact that there are so many cases is a blessing, because, with such a young population, these cases are a de facto vaccine, creating herd immunity without danger.
"

Please take a look at the chart at the twitter link near the end of the quoted material. Sorry that I couldn't get it to copy. It's very informative about this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting