U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 08:22 AM

788 posts, read 1,848,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
When i was in high school there was a party where alcohol was served and one of the kids who had just graduated got in his car drunk, started to drive home, hit a tree and died.
There's a gulf the size of the Grand Canyon between giving an older teen a small glass of wine or half of a beer and throwing keggers for a bunch of 18-year olds.

I'm one of the ones who feel that the alcohol laws in this country contribute to teen binge-drinking. If an 18-19-year old isn't allowed to legally possess alcohol, what do you think will happen at the end of a party? That's right- they need to consume it all, because having it is taboo or could get you kicked out of dorms in certain colleges.

If parents display responsible drinking habits (and that doesn't mean downing a case every weekend), and decide to gradually introduce their teens to it, that will help dispel the mystique of alcohol. Having a beer at a party in college won't be as big of a deal for those kids, because they know it isn't a limited opportunity. Responsible drinking habits also include having conversations with those teens at appropriate times about addiction that has occurred in the family or other troubles that have occurred because of substance abuse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 10:27 AM

26,765 posts, read 24,287,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
My in-laws are, by and large, heavy drinkers and subscribe to this theory. But they're being disingenuous about it and only do it out of laziness and lack of their own self-control with alcohol. All of their kids, now young adults, have use issues.

Anecdotal, I know, but I do believe many parents just want to believe things that require less work from them. Also, kids will tend to mimic their parents' behaviors, so if the parents' social life is booze-centric...guess what the kids will mimic?
I haven't found that to necessarily be true although I do believe kids are less likely to drink at all if their parents never drink. I know several people who come from non drinking parents who are drinkers and people who come from heavily drinking parents who are non drinkers and siblings differing within each example. I think there are a lot of variables that affect a persons level of alcohol use. My parents were teetotalers pretty much. I remember seeing mom have a few sips of a mixed drink on new years once, and dad have a beer a couple times in my life. One sister and myself drink, my other two siblings do not.
I have found over the years that most teens will at some point experiment with alcohol.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:38 AM

1,812 posts, read 507,813 times
I also think the drinking age might as well be 18. What made it be 21? I mean you can get married, vote, join the military and are considered an adult at 18. Why oh why is the drinking age 21? Kids can get booze when they want at the end of the day.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:41 AM

890 posts, read 214,110 times
Quote:
I also think the drinking age might as well be 18. What made it be 21?

Daddy warbucks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota_v._Dole

Old 02-11-2021, 10:48 AM

26,765 posts, read 24,287,891 times
Quote:
I also think the drinking age might as well be 18. What made it be 21? I mean you can get married, vote, join the military and are considered an adult at 18. Why oh why is the drinking age 21? Kids can get booze when they want at the end of the day.
I actually agree with you.
Initially legal age was 21. Draft age was lowered to 18 during WWII. Naturally people were a bit upset and eventually legal age for voting, drinking, etc. was also lowered to 18. Then groups like MADD lobbied to raise drinking age back to 21.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:02 AM

Im sure a lot of people started drinking because they went to war or got married at 18...ugh. I dont think there's any safe answer. People drink stupidly at 40.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,213 posts, read 62,248,995 times
I thought most states already allow a parent to give alcoholic beverages to their own kids in their own home. We did not, however, ours had no alcohol from us until 21, though probably did manage to get some from others elsewhere, as we all did.

When I was 18 and in college, I stayed a few days with my grandmother while my grandfather was in the hospital, and she gave me a shot of brandy every morning with breakfast, right before I drove to school! Fortunately it wasn't enough to have any effect.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:46 AM

Why did she think having a shot of brandy in the morning was going to be beneficial to you? lol

Old 02-11-2021, 11:48 AM

2,509 posts, read 804,344 times
Quote:
Why did she think having a shot of brandy in the morning was going to be beneficial to you? lol
It's an old tradition, very popular among certain cultures.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:55 AM

2,509 posts, read 804,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I haven't found that to necessarily be true although I do believe kids are less likely to drink at all if their parents never drink. I know several people who come from non drinking parents who are drinkers and people who come from heavily drinking parents who are non drinkers and siblings differing within each example. I think there are a lot of variables that affect a persons level of alcohol use. My parents were teetotalers pretty much. I remember seeing mom have a few sips of a mixed drink on new years once, and dad have a beer a couple times in my life. One sister and myself drink, my other two siblings do not.
I have found over the years that most teens will at some point experiment with alcohol.
I don't disagree, which is why I said for sure it was anecdotal in how it actually played out specifically in my in-laws' families.

More so I was trying to emphasize my experience listening to these sorts of discussions about introducing your kids to alcohol in the home. I don't usually find these discussions (in my life) as being serious, thought out logical ones, with consistent follow through. It's more masquerading as a laissez-faire, throw your hands up attitude that I've often seen mimicking the parents' own relationship to alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting